New here...questions

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New here...questions

Postby Melba » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:01 pm

Hey all

What a great site! I have a few questions about this whole peri thing. Hopefully some one can shed light on my symptoms.

Mood swings and anxiety...yes! For a month or so I am often hot when the rest of the family is cold. I wake with perspiration generally around my neck and head and usually with in the first several hours of going to bed. I still get monthly periods but they flip flop in intensity...one month clotty and goopy, the next not so much. During non menstral weeks there is sometimes an odor.."down there". A bit of weight gain. I have been using zoloft for about 3 months to help ease anxiety. I also experience short term forgetfulness.

Is it possible to be beginning the menopause process? Even if I am still getting monthly periods? I turned 44 in November.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and answer questions.
Melba

Postby drjudy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi Melba,

I do think you are starting to have some of the hormonal changes that define perimenopause. Early perimenopause is marked by irregular ovulation (some months you do, some months not), and higher levels of estrogen as your ovaries and other hormone-producing tissues struggle to respond to the brain's messages to ovulate.

The result is heavier periods on the months without ovulation, and often hot flashes and night sweats as estrogen levels fall before and during menstruation.

There's nothing that makes it "right," but a little progesterone in the last part of the cycle can be helpful. Increasing whole soy foods in the diet increases phytoestrogens (plant molecules that have a structure like estrogen). These "weak estrogens" can occupy estrogen receptors in the body instead of your over-produced estrogen and may smooth out some of the symptoms of too much estrogen.

All these symptoms may disappear for awhile, only to return in the future. You may well be years away from menopause, so I applaud your efforts to understand and cope with this long-term situation.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause