New to the board

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New to the board

Postby Greene » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:49 am

I'm 45 and have suspected that I was peri-menopausal for the past year or so. I have most all of the symptoms I've been reading about on this website, but have a question for those of you who might be experiencing what I am. My periods are actually more regular now than during my 20
's & 30's. During those years I would go anywhere from 30 to 35 days between periods and never knew exactly which day I would start. For the past year I've gone 28 days exactly give or take one day either way. The problem is that I experience some months when my period won't stop. In the past I had a 5 day cycle. Now it will go on 6, 7, 8 and this month 10 days. After the fifth day, it stops but starts up in spurts here and there & is never very heavy (very heavy on the 2nd day always though). Intercourse exacerbates the bleeding. Has anyone experienced this kind of symptom and are these menopausal symptoms or is this a sign of something more serious?
Greene

Postby Zero » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:24 am

Greene, if you use the search feature (at the top of the page) and type in "irregular periods", you will get a list of posts regarding that subject and will mostly find that this is one of the most common symptoms of starting the peri-meno phase. Of course, you should always check with your healthcare professional if any symptom seems extreme or particularly worrisome and our Dr. Judy will usually weigh in on your questions within a day or two as well.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum and to the hormonal jungle! Here's a cartoon that seems to fit perfectly with your situation:

Zero

Postby Greene » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:18 pm

Minniepz, thanks for the info, I did try the search feature but didn't choose the same words you suggested. Will try that shortly.
And yes, the cartoon is right on the money! I feel as though I need one of everything to cover it all!!

Thanks again...
Greene
My husband & I are new to the Home Medical (DME) & Diabetic Testing Supplies business. If you or a family member are diabetic and would like to sign up for our services, send me an email and we guarantee you'll be satisfied with our services.
Greene

Postby pamibe » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:53 pm

Welcome to the forum, Greene!! :D
pamibe

Postby Greene » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Thank you... its been great to find this forum and so much information. Prior to this, I was ignoring most of my symptoms...doing one of those "if I don't consciously recognize it, it might just go away! Pretty dumb tactic... honestly, I've thought about going to the doctor and asking for a hysterectomy... I know it wouldn't change the hormonal problems, but I'm so tired of the long periods and not knowing how many years I'll have to put up with it.

That would of course be an extreme measure and not one I'm seriously considering....but I know you'all must know the thought process anyway...!
My husband & I are new to the Home Medical (DME) & Diabetic Testing Supplies business. If you or a family member are diabetic and would like to sign up for our services, send me an email and we guarantee you'll be satisfied with our services.
Greene

Postby drjudy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:02 pm

Periods that go on and on in fits and starts can definitely be part of this perimenopause business. Within days of starting your period, estrogen levels start to rise as the ovaries get ready to produce another egg during another cycle. As we get closer to menopause, the ovaries are less effective at these events. Without the brisk upswing in estrogen, the uterine lining doesn't heal over as well, and we continue to have bleeding with the ongoing breakdown of portions of the endometrium.

This sort of bleeding, including bleeding with intercourse, can also indicate a problem with the uterine lining called hyperplasia. Your doctor may want to consider an ultrasound or biopsy if she determines that you are at risk for these pre-cancerous uterine changes.

Mostly, however, the problem is just what you're indicating, a major annoyance! And a real underwear ruiner...

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause