Unpleasant symptom (aren't they all)

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Unpleasant symptom (aren't they all)

Postby bunze » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:44 pm

I was told I shouldn't be in menopause but may be having many of the symptoms. I am 35, 7 children, the last one was ripped from me and tubes tied. :shock: My symptoms seem to be very much like PCOS, was clinically diagnosed. I originally went in because I had horrific and incessant vaginal itching. I have been/ and am being treated for many symptoms including insulin resistance. But my itching will NOT go away. It has receeded some, quite a bit actually, but the last topical I was given only makes me go insane with itching. It increases it like crazy. I just started taking Flax Seed and Cod Liver supps to try to help increase estrogen with no results as of yet.
I have not seen anyone mention this itching, which is what the docs (been to three now) keep telling me is a menopausal symptom. I've seen dryness and thinning (which I have) but no mention of itching. I've tried many remedies, any tips?
Itching to hear your resonses :shock:
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby Zero » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:48 am

Hi Bunze.....welcome to our "crazy" little world! :) Where it's GOOD to be crazy!

Here's one of the itching responses on the board from Dr. Judy:
http://www.minniepauz.com/forum/viewtop ... ht=itching

If you use the search feature(at the top of the forum) and type in itching, you will get a lot more info. :)
Zero

Postby bunze » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:49 am

Thanks a lot Dee, for the welcome, and for searching for me. I was looking for something a little more area specific though. I don't have itchy skin, persay, but it's my peri area that drives me NUTS!

:(
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby Zero » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:26 am

Sorry...sometimes I only have a few seconds to check the posts here and I didn't read yours closely enough! :) BUT.....I did find another post about vaginal itching: http://www.minniepauz.com/forum/viewtop ... al+itching

And if it IS a yeast problem....I found this VERY interesting site about that:
http://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast/

Let's keep lookin' and askin' and we'll find a solution!! Have a great day! I'm off to have my first ever full body massage!
Zero

Postby bunze » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:40 am

Thanks again :) I can say for sure it is not yeast. I treated several times initially for yeast and was tested. No infections here. :? Although, I almost wish it was. This has been going on for 17 months. And it is daily.
Some things I've already tried, all per doctors orders, with no results or some and then the results stop are: HOT HOT HOT baths, blow drying vag., sleeping without underwear, "bland" soaps, vagisil creams, steroid cream RX, and another RX, not even sure what this last one is. I can't use it however, it MAJORLY increases the problem. Oh, and hydroxizine oral RX Some one out there has to have had this and gotten results from something, dare I hope?
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby bunze » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:43 am

H! How was that massage? Are you back from jello yet?
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby Zero » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:58 am

The massage was heavenly! :) It won't be my last, that's for sure!! :)

I'm hoping Dr. Judy will chime in on the itching problem. Have you done any research online? Maybe someone over on http://www.earlymenopause.com has a similar problem. Just tell them "Minnie Pauz" sent you! :)

We gotta stop that itching!! :cry:
Zero

Postby pamibe » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:55 am

I sure hope you get that itching cleared up, Bunze!! I'd almost rather be in pain than itch like that! :(
Praying for you!!!

Pam
pamibe

Postby bunze » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:42 pm

I hope it clears up to. Thanks Pam! Actually, it is far better than it was originally. It has gone to intermittant. But when it flares up :shock:
Thanks for the prayers. I'll take all I can get :D
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby drjudy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 pm

Amazing how these annoyances can seriously affect our quality of life.

Several thoughts:

If this is due to lack of estrogen, perhaps estrogen vaginal cream would help.

If this is due to a condition called lichen planus et atrophicus which is a ccommon vulvar condition notable for thinning of skin and itching which occurs around menopause, high potency steroid creams will relieve the symptoms (low potency available over the counter or by prescription would not be sufficient). These creams (such as beclomethasone) are used twice daily for 2-3 weeks, then the dosing is dropped down to once daily as continued use of high-dose steroids on the skin can cause problems over time. Testosterone cream is sometimes used.

If this is due to the kind of nerve upset common around menopause that also causes burning mouth syndrome, medications such as Neurontin would give relief.

Ask your doctor about lichen planus--it's a common problem that we doctors tend to overlook.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby bunze » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:00 am

I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis. Low estrogen, with thinning. I had some cracking early on and was potential for repairative surgery/procedure. That healed fine. I was using a low steroid cream. Desowen. I had pretty decent results for about 6 months and then it "quit working". He (3rd doc.) put me on another cream, but that is the one that makes me go nearly insane. I'm supposed to use it twice daily and decrease, but if I put it on when I'm not even itching, it starts a rampage. So I'm not using that either :( I really only have one bad outbreak of itching a day, but I never know when it will be. My doc thinks it tends to be at nighttime, so he perscribed hydrox. But I really don't have trouble at night, so I haven't been using that.
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby mfrompa » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:47 pm

:) Hi Bunze, welcome to the board and nice to meet you...
Was wondering how you were doing. I went on the search engine google.com and pasted in lichen sclerosis, and boy...did a bunch of stuff come up..please try if you can and go there, I think there is help there for you, because if you truly have this, and was diagnosed correctly, you need to tell your doctor everything, including about nothing working, well, anyway, you can read all about it. I went to wrongdiagnosis.com, and that was pretty enlightening, and that said surgery was only for scar tissue, the good news was, that the itching finally goes away, you should know, that you were lucky(?) (i know, i know ) to have the itch to try to put the lichen sclerosis in remission.
Don't be afraid, just keep trying to do something about it, and keep trying to get your doctor to do something about it...show him those articles you find when you google it...that might help also, if not find a doctor who will, that site I went to also tells you which kind of doctor to go to.
prayers for you
marcia
My goal is to accept the things I cannot change, with serenity, and the wisdom to know the difference.
mfrompa
Combustible

Postby bunze » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:18 am

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that. I am going to bump over right now and check it out. Having one of those DUH, why didn't I think of that moments. LOL. I did some looking, but never typed that in. Must have something to do with 7 kids and 5 minutes at a time at the box :) Well, I'm off, hope theres some good, helpful stuff there. I'll report back soon :)
:wink:
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Postby mfrompa » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:40 am

Oh Bunze,
So glad to hear from you. I just can't imagine being ill with 7 children.. :shock:

I had 2 and was ill a lot, with female probs, and ended up having my ovaries and uterus removed, when I was 32. My daughter was 3 and my son was almost 9. My daughter wouldn't have turned 4 until October of that year. Thank God for my mom, who came to my rescue, those first few month's after surgery. Mom's are good for that :lol:

Waiting to hear from you

marcia
My goal is to accept the things I cannot change, with serenity, and the wisdom to know the difference.
mfrompa
Combustible

anticipation

Postby bunze » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:10 am

Marcia,
Those links you told me about were great. I have been reading a gazillion case studies. I am going to my next dr. appt armed with cut and pastes' to show them that those steroid creams just don't work. And OMG to see what has happened to some women from actually using them too long... Having their inner labia surgically removed, vaginal fusing? No thank you very much. I feel very forunate. I'm going to the doc who actually diagnosed this, the one that my fp doc called "scarey smart" and am going to share some of this knowledge with her.
It's really a pain having things that no one knows what it is. I had Ashermans Syndrome after one of my children. I was going to the ER every month in excruciating pain. One doctor kept me over night "to make me feel better". He had talked with my hubby and found out I was on an antidepressant and thought I was coming in for sympathy. Well, come to find out my uterus was fused together and I was having my menses internally every month.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the time you took in finding those for me!!! It's really helped mentally, just knowing there are a ton of women who have this same type of thing, and I am looking forward with great anticipation to getting some real results!

In His Grip,
Amie
In His Grip,
Bunze
bunze

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause