Is nausea a symptom of menopause

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Is nausea a symptom of menopause

Postby mia » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi, I'm 50 and haven't had a period for 10 months. I've experienced a few very minor hot flushes and mood swings..... but for the past 2 weeks I've been having early morning sickness, extreme nausea, feeling clammy and shaky. Just like early pregnancy in fact (which by the way, would be extremely unlikely). I've not heard mention anywhere that this might be a menopause symptom and it's starting to worry me. I wonder if anyone else has also experienced this. I'd be really grateful for advice.
mia

Postby Zero » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:51 pm

mia, many women have experienced nausea, but it's usually related to something other than just menopause. Are you taking any medications or herbal supplements?

I'm sure Dr. Judy will respond when she gets a chance, but in the meantime, if you do a search (above) for "nausea", you will be able to see what other women have experienced.

Welcome to the board and try not to worry. There's so many things that can create feelings of anxiety for us these days and we just have to methodically sort through it all to find the peace of mind and balance we need.
Zero

Postby drjudy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:16 pm

Dear Mia,

I agree with Dee that a search for other causes of nausea would be important before you chalk it up to menopause.

The associated "clammy and shakey" feelings make me wonder about your blood sugar. If it is low for some reason, that can make you feel both nauseous and hungry at the same time. I would also check out your gall bladder and stomach.

Ask your doctor about the best way to proceed with a work-up. Nausea is the pits!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby mia » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:22 pm

Many thanks for your early response. If the symptoms don't subside I shall take your advice, and make an appointment to see my GP. Thanks again!
Mia
mia

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause