symptoms

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

symptoms

Postby Kandi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:20 pm

I have been having horrible symptoms for the last three years or so and my Dr has taken blood tests that show my hormones are a little off balance. She has also said my progesterone level is off and that is what is causing me to spot two weeks before my period and to start my period a week early (due to not ovulating every month). She is suggesting I begin progesterone treatment and I am a little frightened about any HRT. However, I am also tired of being tired and feeling "flu like" most of the time, anxiety is huge and I am trying to relax as best I can, but again this is not easy. I am 49 and am finishing my second year of fulltime college as a Human Service Worker (social worker). Any information would be appreciated and reassurance to know I am not going crazy with some terrible sickness.
Aint being female GRAND?
Thanks
Kandi :?
Kandi

Postby Zero » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:16 am

Kandi, Dr. Judy will be responding to your questions very soon, but I wanted to congratulate you on going to college!!! Way to GO, Girl!! :) I've thought about it too (psychology), but "Minnie Pauz" has kind of taken over my life at this point....in a good way of course!

Also, if you use the search feature above and type in progesterone, you will get a list of all the posts on this board that mention that topic. Some of them may have the same question you asked and answers from Dr. Judy.
Zero

Postby drjudy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:08 am

Dear Kandi,

This perimenopause business plus college is quite the combination! I think these busy lives we lead accentuate our transitional symptoms much moreso than our mothers generally experienced.

The use of progesterone in perimenopause is quite a different hormonal intervention than hormone supplementation used later on in the adventure. Natural progesterone balances the high estrogen levels that many women experience at this stage. It promotes sleep and has anti-anxiety properties. On the minus side, some women find it too sedating, and it can cause dizziness.

Unnatural progesterone (such as medroxyprogesterone or norethindrone) can cause depression. All progesterones promote breast tenderness when a lot of estrogen is around as well.

I think it's worth a try for you. You can always stop doing it if you don't care for the side effects. I've always enjoyed taking natural progesterone (such as Prometrium) as I get a great night's sleep when I use it at bed-time.

Hang on--more perimenopausal adventures to come!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Thanks

Postby Kandi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks so much for answering so quickly. I am looking forward (with a bit of anxiety)to trying the progesterone, I am not sure what kind it is she mentioned, but she assured me it was very mild. I just want to try to feel at least a bit normal again. As for the dizzyness, I get that now. I ride a motorcycle and did not even put it on the road last summer due to my dizzyness, I am feeling like perimenopause has taken away some of the better things in my life.
But Hey! this too shall pass????
Have a wonderful week everyone!
Huggs
Kandi
Kandi

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause