New and not sure of symptoms

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New and not sure of symptoms

Postby Kasha » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:06 pm

Thanks for a great site! I actually feel so relieved that I'm sure after reading your site that I am menopausal! why pleased? ............because I'd convinced myself that I had a brain tumour, breast cancer, whole body arthritus! and the list goes on...........so thankyou. My doctor has put me on blood pressure tabs and done blood tests for diabetes and cholesterol levels. Don't think she considered Minniepauz! reading your post theres not much mention of Headaches and awful moods. can anyone help? Ive always had migraine but I literally have headache every day now and an awful "out of sorts" feeling as though the world is going on around me and I'm not in it? like I'm on the outside looking in.I'm suprised I have any friends left my moods are awful, I'm really snappy and "Angry" don't know what I'm angry about. I over react to everything and its everybody elses fault! I also have awful lower backache constantly. Are these symptoms of menopause or am I going mad after all?
Kasha

Postby Zero » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:35 am

You're definitely "one of us" Kiddo! Hang in there, read a lot and keep sharing your experience--you're actually helping a lot of other women without even knowing it!

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! :)
Zero

Postby wildwoman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:52 pm

Hi Kasha!

I dont know about your back but I DO know about the anger. Or Rage!
I can totally relate. You are not going mad, although you are getting mad from menopause. Its so normal. I have been dealing with this for a very long time, successfully.....or so I thought! Found out both of my parents were afraid to talk to me as I might get mad at them. I swear I never got mad at them! LOL Its just lovely. I am currently on the estrogen patch. I am not recommending it to you as you should study and talk to your doc about your treatment, but for now it was my best choice. I still take vitamins, calcium and magnesium but am thinking I might go another route as the patch isnt cutting it for me lately and I really dont want to up the estrogen. The hot flashes and anger have returned.
Do you have any kids?
Youre not alone, keep reading the posts. You can also do a search for any specific word and find all posts on that topic. too cool.

Good luck to you!
WW
wildwoman
On Fire!

Postby mfrompa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:14 pm

'ello, England! No, Hi Kasha :D just teasing you, trying to help you to smile. :D

Keep looking for a Doctor who will really be compassionate and care to looking into ALL the symptoms you have including menopause. Although, are Dr's in England, progressive on the subject? Are they up on the lastest things to do for menopause symptoms. Please as you read this board, and find helpful things, print them out and take them to your doctor or doctors. That will be a good way to find out if you are going to get anywhere with them.

Most, of all, just keep trying to find humor here, and in yourself, and take a big breath of air and try to relax.
Staying as calm as you can about these symptoms will help to cope.
Welcome to the world-wide club of women, in the same predicament...isn't it wonderful we could find each other for comfort. Amazing.

marcia
My goal is to accept the things I cannot change, with serenity, and the wisdom to know the difference.
mfrompa
Combustible

Postby Kasha » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:46 pm

Thanks for all your replies ww.Dee and Marcia. Ive not worked out how (or even if I can) answer you individually so I'm hoping this works (not only new to Menopause! new to PC!) :wink: WW I have one daughter of my own who is 19yrs, and I foster a 13yr old little girl who is a refugee from vietnam. Dont think they like me very much right now I'm either shouting or sleeping!!! lol This site really has helped me, I dont feel alone anymore, even if you speak to friends, unless their going through it they don't understand how horrible you can feel, and as far as Doctors in England I don't think they've heard of the Menopause! Im going to see my doc nxt week and Im taking the list of 35 symptoms (I have 23 of them!) think that qualifies me, lol, When I saw her last week I felt like a hypochondriac with all my symtoms, she never mentioned Menopause.
Marcia You mentioned the estrogen patches, I'm sure ive heard somewhere that hormone replacement is not suitable for someone with a family history of breast cancer? Do you (or anyone) know anything about this? Well thanks again to you all, take care

Kasha xx
Kasha

Postby wildwoman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 pm

Kasha,

Youre a foster mom???!! Thats FANTASTIC! :D

I have two boys, they do have their share of hormones, but cant imagine what it would be like with two other females in the house! My hats off to you. You are awesome!

As my Dad always tells me.............................."Hang in there, it gets better!"

WW
wildwoman
On Fire!

Postby drjudy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:42 am

Dear Kasha,

I do think your symptoms are bothersome enough that you should take a deep breath and plunge assertively into the difficult world of the NHS to find some relief. Anger is a sign of low-level depression, and when unremitting and interfering with relationships to those nearest and dearest, should be taken seriously and perhaps treated for awhile.

Regarding estrogen usage, even the conservative British Medical Journal feels that it's use through the 50s to relieve symptoms of the transition is a reasonable strategy. While it might not be sufficient to resolve your mood troubles, it will certainly help the mood, support sleep, make your joints less achey, and more. The patch would be preferable to pills given your blood pressure troubles.

I hope you can get some support. Actually, as you can see, you've already got it here on the forum. Now go find a doctor who knows what's up!

Best wishes,
judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby pamibe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:38 pm

Welcome, Kasha!! :D

Dr. Judy, you are a blessing!

pam
pamibe

Dr. Judy A Blessing

Postby mfrompa » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:21 pm

She sure is Pam.

Kasha, go over to the Ask the Professional about the breast cancer thing and the hormone patch...

That's where Dr. Judy , our very own online resident Doctor who just answered you question on using the patch, but, she might have missed the cancer question.
She will answer you or see the question better under that heading...I would never presume to answer such an important question, as I am not a doctor and have been surgical menopause since I was 32. I will soon be 57. I had my ovaries removed as well, so I don't have anything to worry about, on that end, and no breast cancer runs in my family so, that's part of my probs..and I don't have any experience in the cancer question.
So glad that you are here, and you are doing really good if you are just now using a p c ...See? You can do anything once you have the knowledge.
We all are here for you... :D
Marcia
My goal is to accept the things I cannot change, with serenity, and the wisdom to know the difference.
mfrompa
Combustible

Postby Sandee » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:43 pm

Kasha,

Gee...I think we may be twins! I'm dealing with the constant headaches now too, and I'm not a very likable person for 3/4 of the month either.

I've had migraines from the time I was in the 4th grade until I was about 20, and then they went away for almost 25 years. They reappeared about 3 years ago, and were much more frequent.

I'm also having regular headaches much more often too, and basically living on Ibuprofen to keep them tolerable.

I'm hoping to make it through without doing any HRT, but eventually I do need to go and confirm that I'm peri menopausal. Funny, that they don't seem to consider menopause as the culprit sooner. I have 22 of the 35 symptoms, and that outta convince them.

I had a real sense of relief when I found this site too. Not that I want anyone to deal with these horrible symptoms, but just to know that I'm not losing my mind was a great relief.

Good luck, and hang in there.

Sandee
Sandee

Postby Zero » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:07 pm

Also if everyone would try out the search feature here on the board, it will save many of us from trying to give the same answers over and over.....now don't feel like it's a bother for you to ask questions, because each and every one of you deserves an individual answer, but it does help if you've found as much info as possible from previous posts and then you're able to explain your particular situation with more clarity.
Zero

Postby biocce » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:30 pm

i have some anger stuff happening too. I just put it down to moving from a location where people control their mouths and their cars to Long Island, NY where the ability to drive is definitely a lost art and the majority of women here are screaming glowering gum snappers. I feel so old. When did manners disappear? seems to be the norm here.

as for headaches, feverfew can help. My daughter has been taking magnesium for her headeaches.. might be worth discussing with your doc.

B
biocce
On Fire!

Postby pamibe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:50 pm

B, did you move down here to South Florida?? ;)
pamibe

Postby biocce » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:23 pm

Pam,

i think the LI=ers all relocate down there! As for me, my next move is to.. i dunno, somewhere north central. Or alaska. Maybe scotland? LOL!

B
biocce
On Fire!

Postby Zetti » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:54 pm

Anger and irritability were my earliest symptoms. Several yrs ago a friend mentioned it and told me I was likely getting ready to start going thru meno.

Naturally, I bit her head off.

I thought I was too young, and didn't understand that there is this phase in btwn that I've come to cherish and regard as puberty in reverse.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause