WHY do hormone changes cause emotional response

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

WHY do hormone changes cause emotional response

Postby patedwards » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:18 pm

I've read enough to accept that the changes in hormone level can precipitate emotional swings... but why? what's happening in my brain, etc., to effect something without the usual cause?

I mean, I just start crying or I'm very angry with no reason. what's with the old brain receptors?

I've looked but not found a satisfactory article or book. any ideas? or should I just roll with the emotional flow? :x

pat
patedwards

Postby Zero » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Dr. Judy may be able to answer your questions and I admire you for being determined to get some answers and understand what is actually happening.

Oh, and welcome to our little club! :)
Zero

Postby drjudy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:23 am

Dear Par,

Here is a link to Dr. Stephen Stahl's explanation of estrogen receptors in the brain. It's a bit technical, but certainly highlights how estrogen in integral to the pathways that determine mood.

http://www.psychiatrist.com/brainstorms/br6205.pdf

There is a fair amount of research on estrogen and depression, particularly noting that women our age may respond to antidepressants better with estrogen therapy as well, or that, at times, estrogen can be sufficient to support mood without other interventions.

I have found through perimenopause, particularly before and during periods, and later on, throughout the month, that a small amount of estrogen can greatly improve outlook. If your mood troubles start interfering with your ability to function in your everyday life, you may want to discuss options with your doctor.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

thanks!

Postby patedwards » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:56 pm

This article helps. It's also given me a direction to take looking for additional information.

My moods aren't impacting my life very much -- just that I like to understand the "how and why" of things. Especially when the cause and effect aren't obvious to me.

thanks!!
Pat
patedwards

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause