abdominal bloating

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

abdominal bloating

Postby CathyW » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:35 pm

The list of symptons says bloating,gas and indigestion. I have been having episodes of these problems the last couple of months. Had no idea this could be because of menopause. I have had irregular periods, anxiety, insomnia,muscle soreness and facial hair growth for the last two or three years and have suspected premenopause but this bloating has sent me to the doctors .X-rays and bloodwork all o.k. I am 44 years old so could this be possible? Any suggestions for this bloating would be very much appreciated.
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:34 pm

Dear Cathy,

I'm glad you've been checked out for these symptoms as they are the very ones cited by recent reports as signs of ovarian cancer. Granted, they are common and many women complain of them, but all the more reason to be comforted by doctors who take them seriously and make sure of what you don't have.

All that said, while bloating may not be serious, it certainly is seriously annoying. Commonly, women have food intolerances, particularly dairy products and fruit, that can cause gas and distention. The very veggies we seek for health--broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts (now no one seriously eats those!)--are big gas producers. As is insoluble fiber as in wheat bran. Citrus, corn and chocolate round out the complete list of gassy foods.

Exercise promotes normal bowel action. A medication called Zelnorm can be helpful. Perhaps other forum members have some personal experience with remedies that work that we could get wind of (sorry, couldn't resist that one).

Good luck,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:54 am

Cathy (and everyone else), you might also want to check out this book and her website:

You're Not Crazy It's Your Hormones The Hormone Diva's Workbook
by Larrian M. Gillespie, MD
https://menopausediet.planetnet.com/cgi ... m&code=DEE
This book will take you step by step through a complete hormonal workup. With a hefty dollop of knowledge, a pinch of guidance and a twist of determination, every woman can learn the secrets to balancing her hormones.
Dee's Review: Women who know Larrian through her website and books appreciate her straightforward and direct approach to helping women understand what is REALLY going on with their bodies. The trust continues with "You're Not Crazy..."
Her website is http://www.hormonediva.com
Zero

Postby CathyW » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:15 pm

minniepz
Thank-you.I will definitly check out this book and website. Thank you also for such a wonderful forum for us women.

Drjudy
You sent my anxiety level through the roof!! Is there any specific tests I should ask for to make sure this has been ruled out?
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:32 pm

I certainly did not mean to do that! When you said you'd had x-rays, I assumed that was a diagnostic test for troubles other than just-plain-gas. I would order a pelvic ultrasound; if you had a CT scan, that would also work but is probably more test than you need.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby cin-d-rella » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:24 pm

More valuable info .... re: the ovarian cancer....I had no idea and am not going to panic or anything, but the more one knows..........Boy, this site is absloutely amazing. Ciao for now.....Cindy. :wink:
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby lynie pause » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Cathy,

I too have those nasty symtoms...one day I feel pretty good and have a smaller tummy then wham....I look like I swallowed a beach ball :evil: and the bloat is unGodly,you feel really bad. You feel aweful and my appetite changes either I don't want to eat at all or I get hungry and feel nothing feeds my appetite. I know I have heard of this irritable bowel syndrom or something like that. I also have spells where I get up in the middle of the night and either I have very lose bowels or I'm constipated with bad cramps wishing the pain would ease. I have several symtoms you have also, not sleeping, body aches all over. You hang in there.....keep the focus...and keep writing I know myself finding women that have situations like myself sharing with them seems to help me through it. :lol: Focusing on someone else seems to ease my burden a bit..Good Luck.

Lynie
lynie pause
Combustible

Postby CathyW » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:44 pm

Thanks Lynie. I really appreciate your kind words. I have been reading alot about irratable bowel syndrom and apparently hormone flucuations can cause it to become worse. I know I would always get diarreha with my period and now it just hits whenever along with all the rest. I guess just another thing with meno. As if we don't have enough problems. Thanks again and take care.

Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Bloating

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:33 pm

I was just commenting to someone today how frustrated I've been with bloating. It seems to come around my period and if I don't get my period it lingers for a while...really annoying. :evil:

Postby SofiaSofia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:35 pm

CathyW,

Just to chime in here, I've had IBS for years and find peri-meno has made it worse and even a bit different - never had so much constipation and gas before! :shock: Yikes. But, it all happens in conjunction with my cycle changes, too.

Hang in there!
Sofia
SofiaSofia
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:57 am

Have any of you ever tried COQ10 for the IBS? My sister got our Mother to try it and she said it did help. It can also be helpful with healing your gums, so says my sister again. :) This just might be a secret weapon that we need to check into. I have a bit of info on this page, but will look into it further: http://www.minniepauz.com/COQ10.html
Zero

Postby CathyW » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:04 am

Interesting Dee. I have not tried that. The fact that it would help with gum problems would be an added bonus. Look forward to more info. Thanks for your help!!!
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zetti » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:54 pm

Same here. Always had nast diarreah right before my perioid,now it's worse w/more bloating, etc.

I started taking an enzyme supplement from the health food store and it is really helping alot. Has several different types of enzymes including papaya.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Your Most Welcome

Postby lynie pause » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:04 pm

CathyW,

Your Most Welcome Cathy...it's just nice to see there are more women out there that can share similar feelings and symtoms it makes us feel apart and not like we are out there alone in all these situations. Yes too I go through all sorts of symtoms, constipation or lose bowels and gas or bloat, very uncomfortable and water gain also goes hand in hand. It makes you feel so bad. I feel sometimes I have gained so much weight and then the next day or two I will be fine.

Lynie
lynie pause
Combustible

Postby Zetti » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:56 am

Ugh. I've always had a mild IBS (irritable bowel) but in peri, all of the symptoms got amplified as does everything crappy, bloating, alternating btwn one extreme and the other as to diarreah, etc, cramps, ick.

I started taking an enzyme combo from the health food store which helped. I found this new stuff at Walgreens, specifically for IBS, called *Digestive Advantage*, it's a once a day chewable enzyme/amino acid combo of some sort or another. Dang but it started working after the first dose.

Too early to tell if this is a genuine remedy over the long haul but thus far, the difference has been phenomenal.

And it's cheap, $8.99 for 32 tabs.

BF already wrote down the name and where to buy b/c he knows I'll forget . . .

I also started taking peppermit oil caps and my old fave, ginger root all from the health food store to sooth tummy upsets.

Zetto
Zetti
Combustible

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause