abdominal bloating

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Postby CathyW » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:45 pm

To all IBS sufferers

There is a great site for IBS at http://www.ibsgroup.org The message boards are down right now but should be up and running in the next couple of days but you can still read all the posts.

Zetti

A lot of people on the above message board is using using Digestive Advantage. Some have had great relief. others haven't. Glad it has worked for you. Its tough going through peri with IBS on top of it. Take care and thanks for your reply.

Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

constipation

Postby parts2you » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:09 pm

i have suffered off and on for years with constipation. i hate to be graphic, but i have had it to the point of....starting to go, and then it is like "stuck", i wont go into details but it is VERY uncomfortable,embarrassing,and stressful.
then,when i finally can get it out, seems like a record breaker in size and shape!! this has happened to me apx three or four times from the age of twenty something to about a year ago...50.
i also was having a tremendous problem in the past year or two with very bad bloating that would start from just under my breasts all the way down.
and feeling all around ill.
well, i think i have finally found something that has helped alot of my symptoms, though im never quite postitve...but i do know for sure, it has helped my bowels. aloe vera juice.
i now have a small movement almost every day. something that i NEVER had. and i feel so much better.
they say it can help many things, and that it is a natural detox agent of the colon. which also is important to me, since colon cancer runs in my family. (as did all the other stomach problems)
it is alittle expensive...about 15.00 for a half gallon. but i mix it with juice, half juice- half aloe vera juice. makes it taste better, and lasts fairly long. sometimes i only have a small glass,other times an 8 oz., but i try to remember to have it every day.
maybe it will help some of you, too!
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby CathyW » Thu May 19, 2005 8:42 am

I wanted to bring this topic back to the top because it is still very much a problem for me. I at times have such severe pain I am unablt to function. The doctors now believe that my IBS symptons are being caused by my large fibroid. They are telling me the fibroid is pushing on bowel causing bowel spasms. Has anyone else experienced this? Trying to avoid hysterectomy but do not know how long I can live in this pain :cry:
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Thu May 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Cathy, is there any chance of them just removing the fibroid? Sorry if you explained this on the other page....didn't have time to read all of the posts.
Zero

Postby CathyW » Thu May 19, 2005 3:52 pm

hi Dee

Thanks for asking. The first gyno I saw told me that I had no other choice then to have a hysterectomy. But I know their are other treatment options available so I have made an appointment with another gyno to get a second opinion. Unfortunately I can't get in to see her until the first part of July. So until then I am having to take alot of pain medication to get by. Not having an easy time right now with this and then all the other peri stuff but I will just take it one day at a time. Thanks!

Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Relevant » Thu May 19, 2005 6:29 pm

Cathy,
Didn't your doctor say if you were in a lot of pain she would call the other doctors office and ask if they could move your appt. up? or am I thinking of someone else? That's what I would do. This fibroid is causing you too many problems to have to wait that long for an appt.. All medical offices keep a number of appts open because they know there are always going to be people who need to be seen right away. Don't be afraid to make some noise. Tell them you are in pain and the pain medication is not helping with the other problems that are being caused by this fibroid. I'm thinking about you and so sorry this is happening to you.
Relevant
Hot Pauzer

Postby CathyW » Sat May 21, 2005 9:32 am

Hi Relevant :D yes that was me that said that. Unfortunately my dr. is away on holidays right now and won't return for 2 weeks. My only option right now is to go to thr ER but that would just be a waste of time. Just started a period after being 2 weeks late, so hopefully will get some relief soon. It always seems to be at its worse just before a period. Not sure why. Maybe because everything swells even more? Thanks for your concern and good thoughts!

Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sat May 21, 2005 6:19 pm

Cathy W
Yep, my abdomen was VERY uncomfortable especially just before my period (before my myomectomy) also bowel movements just before and during my period were painful. Good Luck Girl! Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby wendie » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:24 am

I too used to suffer with bloating and gas, and constipation and cramps, but it always happened mid-month, when I ovulated. This was always a bad time for me, as it was painful and I needed painkillers and antispasmodics. Taking 1 tablespoon of Linseeds each day, with my breakfast cereal, really helped. Recently, I have stopped ovulating every month, but I still get the symptoms if I don't eat regularly and have plenty of fibre - and the symptoms seem to be coming back with a vengeance, despite the linseeds and menopause supplements. Anyone out there got any suggestions, after 4 years of living virtually normally, I don't want to start over again! And my Doctor just puts it down to IBS, and tells me to take antispasmodics for a couple of days until it settles back down again. I am now 48 years old. When I feel like this, my stomach grumbles and rumbles all the time, but I don't get a great deal; of pain or anything. Help!
wendie
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:38 am

Does your stomach make audible noises? I find sometimes that I can be quietly listening to someone, but my intestinal system is not quiet at all. How embarrassing.

What a lot of misery you're going through! Since it's been four years since you last dealt with this, I wonder if you and your doctor should consider any testing to be sure that something new hasn't developed.

Sometimes a course of antibiotics can set off months of intestinal upset. Probiotics (capsules of worthy little colonic bacteria) can be helpful in readjusting function back to normal. I know there are a number of brands available--the choices at natural food stores are confusing. I like a brand called culturelle (http://www.culterelle.com). Probiotics may be helpful for IBS generally, but I don't know much about that.

Hope you can find some answers.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:54 am

For anyone with chronic constipation, Miralax has been a lifesavor for my 2 year old granddaughter (has several problems causing the constipation).

It's prescription, but really works fantastic!
http://www.miralax.com/consumer/index.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Thanks Dr Judy

Postby wendie » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:28 am

Thanks for your comments about rumbling stomachs! I also forgot to mention that since my last visit to my Doctor, 4 years ago, I have taken to working from home, on the computer, and getting less excercise than before. This also won't have helped, I know, but it's very difficult when I am sitting most of the day, and responding to messages on a website we work through (I am a psychic medium, by the way - some use it is when you cannot see things for yourself! ) and it's difficult to get up often and move around. However, I have bought some Acidophilus capsules, Peppermint tea and other herbs, and am taking more breaks, during which I run upstairs a couple of times. Some days are worse than others but I feel I notice it more when I'm working indoors, because it's more obvious, this seems to be what you were saying in your reply. Thanks once again. Best wishes to you all!
wendie
Warm Pauzer

Abdominal bloating

Postby ladydebubba » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:43 pm

:shock: I too have noticed more of a problem with this over the past several months that I have had not had a problem with that much before. I have been seeing a gastroenterologist yearly for a ulcerative colitis problem that developed back in 1986 but haven't had a problem with that in several years. Saw him a year ago and mentioned symptoms of alot of belching spells periodically over the span of this past year but nothing was found. Now that I think about it, it was probably tied in with these pre menopausal symptoms. I can tell you something that actually helps heartburn and indigestion. A tablespoon of vinegar. And it works. I have a book that discusses premenopause and menopause and its symptoms and it mentions some different over the counter drugs you can use to relieve some symptoms. One is Dhea, and the other is Evening Primrose Oil. So I am trying these. Cannot hurt. Does anyone know what can be done for problems with the creepy crawly sensations I experience at times like things crawling on me? Thanks.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:32 pm

Dear Lisa,

Glad to have your input on the forum. Welcome!

Be sure to look under search function for creepy, crawly, itchy, and you will find other women dealing with this annoying symptom in various ways that you might find helpful.

For those of you who consider trying DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone). Just because it's over-the-counter doesn't mean it's not a potent hormone--it is. This hormone is naturally made in the body on the pathway to testosterone and estrogen. When you take it as a supplement, it can be transformed by the body into those two hormones. You may want to consult with your doctor before you start using it.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Dhea

Postby ladydebubba » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:53 pm

Thanks Judy. I have been taking it for a few months. Will stop until I talk to my gynecologist next month. Is the Evening Primrose Oil ok to take? What else could I use that is over the counter. I noticed something called Black Cohosh that was in with the women's menopausal aids. What is that good for? Thanks for the imput.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

PreviousNext

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause