hyPO-thyroid ... anyone??? =)

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

hyPO-thyroid ... anyone??? =)

Postby Maleka » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:09 pm

Aloha!
I am new here so forgive me if this is an old issue ... it's kinda new to me. :roll: I am 46 1/2 :wink: and just found a new gyne, after being with a man gyne for 20 years, he is 67 and I realized I was tired of being patted on the hand and told "I would get thru it" ... ummm ... excuse me this is NOT a head cold! :shock: and of course I will get thru it ... but I would like a little council :? ... anywho ... went to a woman gyne ... she was wonderful ... my age, willing to listen and in general had a great bedside manner ... !! NO !! hand patting!!! :P and she diagnosed me as hyPO thyroid after some blood work. And believe me after 30 pounds in 18 months I am ready for a new diagnosis. 8)

I work out 3 or 4 days a week, eat pretty healthy, so the extra weight was kinda surprising and unexplainable. :x I also had a number of the other symptoms, which are VERY similar to peri menopause ... AND HOW ANNOYING IS THAT!!! :wink: ... which I believe I am in anyway. :cry: ... so I was wondering if anyone had the same issues and had any advice or stories they would like to share. :D

I would greatly appreciate any help, guidance, council or advice you have!!! Hope you are having a great day! :D

Aloha!!
Maleka

*\|/* ~ParadiseAwaits.com~ *\|/*
~Work as if you don't need the money,
Love as if you've never been hurt,
Sing as if no one is listening,
LIVE like it's heaven on earth,
and ! DANCE ! as if no one is watching~
-=*=-- --=*=-- --=*=-- --=*=--
~Life is not measured by the number of
breaths we take but by the moments
that take our breath away~
-=*=-- --=*=-- --=*=-- --=*=--
Maleka

Postby pamibe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:11 am

Welcome to the forum, Maleka!! Image

...and that is why I prefer women doctors. I have nothing against men; I love them, but I've always thought that a woman could relate more with what I was going through. :wink:

pam
pamibe

Postby colopam » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:38 pm

Welcome Maleka!

I too was diagnosed hypothyroid approx. 10 yr.s ago by a wonderful female nurse practitioner (heavy periods alerte her) , I brought her flowers the next visit!
The treatment will make you feel better but pleeeeaase keep on the treatment!!! My Dr. in TN said if I went off of it I'd probably just get tired, I did my reserch and knew this wasn't the only thing that would/could happen BUUUUTTT, we had a big move down to FL, and was in between insurance and Dr.'s and things were tight so I went awhile without my levoxyl (time slipped by too fast) anyway I had an abnormal EKG at my physical a month ago when I got my new RX (and feeling better every day), went to a cardiologist (EKG still abnormal) had an echocardiogram (fascinating under other circumstances) and go for a nuclear stress test tomorrow a.m. and more than a bit on edge as heart disease runs early in my family.
Long story short there's is such a thing as hypothyroid heart and no one tells you about THAT!!! Also the hormones can make you a bit more susceptible to osteoporosis (so calcium/Vit. D/ Magnesium/weight bearing exercise). Be sure to take on an empty stomach, not too close to taking iron supplements, and soy is supposed to change the absorpability (sp?) of the hormone so you might want to check that out too (if it's not one darn thing it's another!!! LOL).
Anyway keep track of how your's feeling that's more important than the numbers really. There's also a great support newsletter for thyroid "All About Thyroid" with some great info and links as well as an excellent list of great Dr.s

HUgs!!! Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:28 pm

Interesting that being hypothyroid is a lot like being perimenopausal which is a lot like being middle-aged with too much to do and too little time to do it in. Underscores the importance of taking the entire picture into account, and being careful not to miss anything just because we're getting older and we're under stress.

I'm glad that you are on the right track now.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause