New here and need advice

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New here and need advice

Postby cmp227 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:53 pm

I am 38 years old and I am not really sure what is going on. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago. I still have my ovaries but have been experiencing some things. First of all I noticed that I have a bald spot on my head, I have been breaking out like a teenager and I have this terrible fear of getting older and dying. I have panic attacks once in a while. I haven't been experiencing any problems with my sex drive. I also cry very easy. I was told when I had the hysterectomy that menopause would happen later since I still have my ovaries. I would really appreciate any advise.
cmp227

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:41 am

Sounds like it's time to revisit your doctor with an update of what symptoms you are experiencing and a new found understanding of your body that you have gained over the past 7 years.

I'm sure Dr. Judy will have a few words for you also.....

Have you visited any of the hysterectomy support sites? There's http://www.hystersisters.com and http://www.hysterhome.com to start with. There's also several members on this forum who may be able to give you some insight.
Zero

Postby drjudy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:48 am

If I understand your situation, your problems include:

1. Hair loss -- Is this just one bald patch or a general thinning?
2. Acne
3. Anxiety with panic attacks
4. Easy tears

Despite the fact that your ovaries were left behind, they very well could be winding up their useful function. 25% of women who have hysterectomies with ovaries left behind demonstrate decreasing ovarian function within 6 months of surgery; by 3 years that number is up to 40%. The surgery, apparently, can interfere with ovarian function by changing blood supply to them. The bottom line? Part of your problem could be an earlier than expected loss of hormones.

Your first 2 symptoms may represent a relative excess of androgenic hormones such as testosterone, particularly if your hair is thinning on the top or at the temples (leaving an 'M' shaped hairline). This can be checked through blood hormone levels. Loss of estrogen leaves an imbalance with increasing androgenic influences causing things like acne (especially along hairline and jawline), hair thinning, and those icky little chin hairs.

Your mood disturbances could also be caused by changing hormones. This really would be a good time to check things out with your doctor.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause