first missed period...ahhhhhh!!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

first missed period...ahhhhhh!!

Postby Alilizabeth » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:11 am

Ok--so I missed my first period, everything was right on track before that, I didn't notice any symptoms at all before, it's been six weeks...I'm 48btw...and now I'm panicking thinking I should take a pregnancy test, how embarassing that may be to be buying at this age and been seen by someone I know...geez.
Since, the missed period, I'm dizzy, and very off balance, I've been having really strange dreams, and I feel like I'm waiting constantly for the flow to hit..run to the bathroom, and NOTHING! My nerves feel like I'm on edge too, my be because of the wondering if it's menopause or pregnancy! HELP!
beth
Alilizabeth

Postby SofiaSofia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:45 pm

If you susupect it might be pregnancy, I'd suggest getting a pregnancy test at the drugstore and taking it. That could at least ease your mind on that possibility - I know it has helped me before! Otherwise, sounds like your meno symptoms are acting up. Maybe you're nearing the end of peri?

Hope things calm down and you feel better.

Sofia
SofiaSofia
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:26 pm

I suspect from your description that you've already gotten your period. I think this is just the beginning of the end, you've got a lot more hits, misses, ups, and downs to go.

Pregnancy vs. menopause is always a worry during the transition. While pregnancy is increasingly unlikely, it's always a good idea to check that possibility out. I'm sure any conversation in a group of women our age would include tales of friends of friends with menopause babies.

I hope you enjoy the company here of women going through the same wild ride.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:39 am

I have been searching on the internet to answer questions I have. I came across this website and your "subject" caught my eye! I am 46, have not had a single sign of peri or menopause (that I know of...). I went on vacation to the mainland to visit my son and took pads knowing I would be having my period while I was there (I am/was very, very regular with my period... length and date). Well, it never came... now I have been home for three weeks and nothing...

Can symptoms just start? Isn't it a gradual thing?

Other things I have noticed in the past few days (while continuing to wait for my period - no chance of being pregnant, by the way)... I cannot stop feeling full even though I know I should be hungry. No trouble sleeping through the night but I did come home from work the other day and could not keep my eyes open (I am a full-time student, as well as mom and elementary school worker), I fell asleep and figured I would not be able to go to sleep at night after taking a nap. At night, I fell asleep trying to do my piles of homework.

I guess my basic question is if it can come on so suddenly... or is this what happens in peri? Where's my mom when I need her? I kind of feel like I'll explode... I had myself convinced I had a tumor that was blocking my period and my teenage daughter suggested checking out menopause on the website. I prefer that "diagnosis"...

Uneducated on Kauai

Postby drjudy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:49 pm

Dear Kauai,

Wish I was there now instead of in blizzard-locked Denver.

Menopause can occur abruptly, periods chugging along regularly and then poof! they're gone. In your case, however, I suspect that is not the case. Generally, such sudden cessation of ovarian function would be accompanied by a lot of symptoms of estrogen withdrawal, like mega-hot flashes, night sweats, and sleep disturbances.

Stress, including travel, can interfere with normal cycling. Your excessive fatigue and lack of appetite suggest that something else may be going on, not a tumor blocking your period certainly, but perhaps another kind of hormonal imbalance such as thyroid or adrenal.

If your period and your energy do not return soon, please check in with your doctor. Chances are you are not yet menopausal, but luckily you can still look forward to that adventure in the next few years.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause