when to become alarmed at missed periods?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

when to become alarmed at missed periods?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:54 pm

Just wondering- I'm 43- sometimes I get a period- Feb. it was HORRID- worst cramps & bleeding since my 20's. Now March nothing; 2 weeks late with tinsy wee spots. Like, how would I even know if it's normal to be like this or if I had some strange disease? I'm just letting my body do its thing & not thinking about it too much- but where's the fine line or line drawn between worrisome and no-worry things our bodies do in Peri? I mean, I could run to the gyn once a month at this rate for all this weird shit.

sfogrrl :twisted:

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:56 pm

Dee,

btw apparently my login name's been wiped out- is it possible to get that back?

thanks!

sfogrrl

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:01 am

sfogrrl, you're still showing "registered" so you just have to make sure that you're logged in each time. Check at the top menu and it should say either "Log In" or "Log out"(sfogrrl).

Sorry about the frustration...I wish I had someone who understood how this thing works! :)
Zero

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:57 am

I log in *each & every time* before posting & come up as guest. :cry:

Postby Zero » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:12 am

When I come to the board each day, the top part says "Log out (minniepz)"..... I just had a thought that maybe you're actually logging yourself out? I don't think you should have to do it every time and you're defintely registered......so sorry about all this!
Zero

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:51 pm

:D ha ha! logintologout. test

Postby sfogrrl » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:53 pm

last test. after this i give up :twisted:
sfogrrl
Hot Pauzer

Postby sfogrrl » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:54 pm

:lol: phew. good god. :roll:
sfogrrl
Hot Pauzer

Postby newat52 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:38 pm

The same thing happened to me about two years ago. I would have regular cycles and then out of the blue I would have a very heavy period. There were also times I would have "mini" period for about 3 to 4 days and then get another "mini" period in about two weeks. My gyno said I would need to take progesterone if it didn't clear up but it seems to have stopped now and I am back to 4 to 6 weeks in-between periods. Hope this helps. :roll:
newat52

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:39 pm

:) The question is how can you tell when something's wrong. I guess there's not a way. Each woman is different.

I don't get why the progesterone- so, there's a clue- skipped periods or spotty- is 'bad' - but isn't that normal peri? If so, why take a drug? See what I mean?

Dr. Judy out there? Anyone? I feel like Nancy Drew in a mystery where the clues keep changing. Obviously there are reasons such as feeling pain in the body. But just screwed up periods doesn't seem a reason to run to the gyn if it's normal in peri. :twisted:

sfogrrl

Postby drjudy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:03 am

I like the image of Nancy Drew, aging along with all the rest of us who read her mysteries, trying to puzzle out "The Case of the Missing Period."

I do think that you have two good points--why interfere with natural process but how would I know if this is natural? Since perimenopause is 'never the same place twice,' it does seem like anything goes. In your case, however, you are young enough to cause one to wonder if there is anything else going on that might contribute to your irregular periods. This could be checked out once, reassuring you that future screwy periods are more annoyance than cause for worry.

I'd encourage you to speak with your doctor, have some endocrine tests run such as thyroid levels, and make a plan that includes future parameters like 'how heavy a bleed or how long a skip should I endure before I call you (the doctor) back.' I suspect all will return normal (as lab work in early perimenopause often looks normal), and then you can be more comfortable with letting nature run its course.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:04 pm

:? Mystery of the Missing period, ha! So there is no guideline. I think my mother had an early menopause but I can't be sure. I'm barely 43.

If having a hot flash is all a sudden having to *throw* my sweater off for no apparent reason, when it's cold in the room, late at night, and I begin to sweat and feel like someone lit a match under me- feet to head- then very soon after needing the sweater back on... BRR! --repeat 3x at night while I'm attempting sleep... then it's peri starting (peri-peri? going once, going twice).

Every time I have ever gone to the gyn for something wrong, I've walked in & they've said Hmm, don't know what's wrong and after their testing they've repeated same... So I'm going to sit it out. I did have a pregnancy, albeit brief, early 20's. I've read that can be a factor, or clue, in early meno.

If I feel pain- anything not quite right- I'll run for the gyno. But my periods got weird & short in my 30's, too.

Well, WE- the women on this site- are writing the guidelines, clue book key, because I don't see them anywhere else.

Thanks very much! :P

sfogrrl

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause