The weirdness of Crashing Fatigue

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

The weirdness of Crashing Fatigue

Postby SofiaSofia » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:00 pm

I've begun getting the Crashing Fatigue symptoms like never before in my life. Sometimes, especially close to my period, it is really bad and hard to realize that I'm not getting sick with a cold or bug of some kind. I start to feel really run down and exhausted. Of course, when my immediate reaction is "I must be getting sick," I get anxious about coming down with something and having to deal with that -- then the anxiety stuff starts to kick in. Aaaaaarghh! :cry:

Anyone else have this feeling with Crashing Fatigue - does it make you feel like you are physically ill with something, when in fact you're not?

Sofia
SofiaSofia
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:56 am

Dear Sofia,

I've had that feeling, and when associated with premenstrual time, I think it's due to crashing levels of estrogen. I used to get body aches with it, almost like having the flu. I would wonder if I was getting ill, each time with that "ah-ha" moment when my period came, and I realized the source of my hormonal 'flu.'

Now that my estrogen level is more uniformly low (and supplemented with an estrogen patch), that particular little perimenopausal adventure seems to be at an end.

Some fun, huh?
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby SofiaSofia » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:25 pm

Judy,

Yes, I get the body aches too! What a strange phenomenon. That's part of why I keep thinking I'm getting sick. Yesterday I could hardly manage anything, just wanted to lie on the couch and stare at the tv.

I have my annual gyno exam later this month. Hopefully I can get some help with all this misery.

Thanks,
Sofia
SofiaSofia
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zetti » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Hoboy, do I ever know about this one.

Yup, seems to be at it's worst a wk or 2 before my period. And it definitely feels as if some nasty virus is taking over.

It is really difficult to xplain it to anyone who hasn't experienced it. *Crashing* is just the right word for it. Ick.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

The "Peri" Flu

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:24 am

Me too........have the same symptoms and do actually really think I am getting the flu. How bout extreme sinus pain (headaches) either just before or just after your period ? I have been getting these for a couple of years but the intensity and frequency/duration is increasing. A friend and I, (who is also in peri, say that once it is all said and done, we feel as if we have about 3 or 4 "good days" a month !!
It is good to have someone going through the same things. Gives us a chance to laugh, unload etc.
Cin-d-rella.

Postby purple2 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:52 pm

[color=darkblue]I JUST started getting that particular symptom. YES crashing is best description, and I feel just like the lady here who said sitting on couch, watching TV. I cant do that, I have 4 kids ages 4-14, but SO BADLY want to just veg....! So I have NO energy. I bought Lilac Trees and JUST do-not feel like digging the holes, but have to, so then my heart starts beating SO FAST, like I will have a heart attack. Oh and night sweats started 2 years ago, hot flashes, 1 year ago and almost all the time now ( is should buy stock in deoderant/anti-persperant Companies).
NOW lately, PMS (never had it before) and NO mOTIVATION. Just tired, mentally and Physically. So I am in this ship of perimenopause. My sis who is 11 year older (49) has been dealing with it full menopause like 3 years ago. STILL isnt through. My Other sister is 6 years older (45) hasnt had anythng yet, and Me well I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and Kept my ovaries so they are SUPOSED to work...But I KNOW im not going crazy, and I cant Gauge my periods because I donot have periods.
My Mom cant remember hers because she was going through a terrible divorse at the time and figured it was just stress.
This is just CRAZY, Im still in shock, I just keep accumilating MORE symptoms every 6-8 weeks!! Thanks for letting me rant. I am Jumpy and twitchy, but its subsiding....JUST When will it be baaack ( I know it WILL be back...with a Vengence)!!!~ purple2
[/color]
I used to be cold all the time....
purple2

Postby fiona » Sun May 22, 2005 3:39 pm

Yes..exactly!!! It Does feel like the flu! I feel worse about a week before my period, and my legs hurt so bad, like they're made of lead, but then when the period comes my legs get better. Sometimes its almost to hard to put my shoes on..yikes :roll: I hate the crashing fatigue!!!

((Hugs))
Being listened to is so close to being loved that most people cannot tell the difference
~David Oxberg~
fiona
Combustible

Postby Coryl » Sat May 28, 2005 6:53 am

I am sooo glad to find this place! I just started having the "crashing fatigue" last week,right before my period.Then flowing like a river and cramping too.I havent had cramps like that since I was a teenager.
I have four kids still at home and just happened to have my oldest son and his wife here for his brothers 8th grade graduation.I'm sure I was a real pleasure to be around.
This site will be very helpful.At least I will know that what I am going through is normal.Well, normal for menopause anyway.
Coryl

Fatigue

Postby drozeys » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:37 am

Im new to the forum and trying to figure out how to use it. Im not only experiencing fatigue but also at times and awful groggy feeling in the morning. Just wondering if this could also be a minnie pauz symptom
drozeys

Postby kbird » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:06 pm

I'm new too...just now in fact. This fatigue thing...is it when you are doing just about anything and the next minute you feel as though you could just go into a deep sleep? Immediately? I'll be paying bills on-line or monitoring students work in class and BAM! could someone give me a pillow please. Is this it?
kbird waitin' on a breeze please!
kbird

Postby Sharon2 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:31 pm

Sometimes I wake up with it and other times it does come on very quickly. I can start the day off well and then by noon I am exhausted like I have been doing hard labor all day regardless of what I have been doing and staying awake is almost impossible. If that is what is meant by "crashing fatique" then I have it. I don't notice it increases my aches and pains because they seem to be constant.

Kbird: I cant even imagine being a teacher and experiencing this. Those kids would wear me out fast. Hope it passes soon for you. Are you taking your vitamins and eating correctly plus getting exercise?

I have heard some good things about coQ-10. They recommend at least 150mg per day and it is expensive. I bought some but it can take up to 3 months before you notice improvement and I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on something that I don't know if it will even work for me. Others say it's great.
Sharon2
On Fire!

Postby drjudy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:43 pm

Fluctuating estrogen levels (or no estrogen) can certainly be an energy drain. As there are other conditions that can cause 'crashing fatigue,' please consult your physician to rule out any co-existing health problem before chalking this up to just another menopause thing. And Kbird, you should be checked for a sleep disorder or narcolepsy if sudden sleepy attacks continue to plague you.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby kbird » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am 43 (well, will be nxt. wk.) and quit taking the pill about 6 mos. ago. Everything has gone downhill since that time. It is much worse when I do not take anti-oxidant (opc), co-q10, Calcium w/vit.D and B-12 (They are all drinkable and I have taken them for 4 years now.). I got out of the habit (as one will do) when school let out on 5/27 and noticed the difference within 3 days. DUH! But, just for the fun of it, made the DR. appt. today. Wish I could sleep through that! I have a neighbor that has been through it all, she is quite helpful. Yes, as a teacher, I now know why some of mine were the way they were...haha. I am a high energy person too and love my job. The kids do keep me going...maybe the 13 yr. olds are putting something in my water! :twisted:
kbird

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:12 am

Here you go, kbird!! :)

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby kbird » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:32 am

AWWWWWW...that's great. I can fly today. Thanks for the breeze!
kbird

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause