ARGHHH!! what is happening to me

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

ARGHHH!! what is happening to me

Postby Team58 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:49 pm

I am 45 and went to the gyno in Dec who tested me and said I was not peri or menopausal. I have hot flashes at work, at home, and during the night I wake up and my hair is soaked, pillow wet, dripping between my breasts. I can't sleep through the entire night - watch 1 1/2 hours of tv (thank goodness for Nick at Night). Breakthrough bleeding mid month. Just had my first really strange period that lasted 10 days. Cramps, bloating, constipation, gas (my husband says I am like a sailor), memory lapses, heart flutters (feels like a bird in my chest), exhausted and weight gain. My cramps feel somewhat like labor pains - there is a pulling down sensation that just doesn't feel right. My hair is curling (was stick straight). My breasts are so tender it feels like a chalk board and fingernails to me. Irritability - wow! I even amaze myself how irritable I feel - edgy and my skin just crawls. I must be going through something - or I am crazy.

My question is - is it possible that there is another test you can take besides drawing blood. When they drew blood years ago for a pregnancy test I always showed up negative - even when I was 5 months pregnant. The old pee test is the only thing that worked on me. Maybe the blood test for menopause doesn't work for me either?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Team58

Postby CathyW » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:07 pm

Hi Team 58 and welcome to the board!! What you are experiencing is what alot of us are experiencing with peri meno. I also have anxiety, night sweats, terrible insomnia and very unpredictable periods. I have had those labour type cramps a few times. I wouldn't let the blood tests tell you that this is not meno. They are not reliable as hormone levels flucuate daily. My doctor won't even test mine because of this and tells me that the symptons is what we must go by. We need to listen to our bodies. I think the more you read here in this forum the more you will begin to realize your not crazy at all. Take care of yourself and once again welcome!!
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Your symptoms sure sound familiar and sound like peri to me! I have experienced almost all the symptoms you mention. You are most definitely not alone.

Hugs,
Susan

Postby drjudy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:24 am

I agree with Cathy and her doctor--I usually do not bother with blood tests. You're the right age, right symptoms, periods now changing; what more do we need?

You are living proof that perimenopause is enough to make your hair curl! Keep dropping in for virtual chocolate and martinis with good company. (I love your quote).

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zetti » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:02 pm

Ok, I've wondered about the blood tests too. My doc said that's the only way to know where u r and I can wait till I have insurance again for that.

But, it sure seems logical to me that if the hormones r fluctuating that wildly, how can a blood test tell u much? Personally, I suspect mine change violently every 10 minutes.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Postby colopam » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:20 pm

Team58

Boy did you come to the right place!! AND you're in very food company if I DO say so myself!
You sure sound like you're going thru peri-meno to me (of course I'm not even close to an MD,LOL!!)

Love your quote, reminds me of a card I gave my brother who loves chocolate as much as I do "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who like chocolate and B-----s" (of course with the irritability I sometimes fall into both catagories!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:21 pm

whoops! that should be "you're in GOOD company" not food company BUUUUTTTT if the shoe fits.......!!! Pam[/quote]
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:31 pm

hahahah....definitely a freudian slip, Pam!! :) I love it!! Just wanted to mention that when you make a post and discover a mistake or typo that you just can't live with......try the "edit" button and it will allow you to correct your post and then submit it again. :) There's a lot of cool stuff on this forum that I'm still learning, so wanted to share with everyone and try to make our lives easier :)
Zero

Postby bktex47 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:19 pm

I have most of the same syptoms. The last period started 2/21 lasted 10 days off 3or 4 then started again. I started w/ estroven again. Took it several months ago after a bout w/ depression took it for several weeks felt better so didn't think I needed it again. This time will stay on it. They have a kit (pee stick)I was reading about that has 2 test you take 2 weeks apart that will tell you where you arein the preminnie. Think I am going to get it. Has anyone tried it? I keep telling myself
"This too Shall Pass" and God doesn't give us any more than we can handle. I am so glad to find this site and to read other women's stories. I was feeling quit alone in this. The depression so far has been the worse. And the GUSH in K-Mart this summer. couldn't get out of there fast enough.
With God all things are possible.
bktex47

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:42 am

bktex47, you might be better off spending the money on some great cd's or soothing candles or something that you're going to enjoy for awhile! The tests are not totally reliable and even if they are, you're going to be paying to find out what you already know! :) Yes, my Dear, it really IS peri-menopause!
Zero

thanks for the nice thoughts

Postby Team58 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:09 pm

I appreciate knowing I am not alone - had a good weekend in New Orleans with my husband (ate and drank everything and anything) - have to do that every once in a while!

Having a bad day today - period is late by about 3 or 4 days - terribly bloated, strange pain right below bottom of left rib cage - not sure what is there! Oh well - at least I am in good company - YIPPEE
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Team58

Me too

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:01 am

I am really going crazy, im only 39 (IN MAY!) and I have SO many symptoms. I was very happy I got a hysterectomy (it was for the best for me) and so now 4 years later, I am getting awful symptoms. Including PMS....NEVER had that. Also Im so jumpy, whats up with that. Forget about the Heat. It seems to be taking over. Right now it is subsiding, as usual, but not after 2 weeks of hell. I am left with depression and anziety like NO OTHER. I have always been kind of high strung, But Geesh, this is crazy. I get so irritated lately. I have no health insurance so I just try to figure it all out.
Well, Off to sleep, I wish I could sleep deep, cant remember the last time I slept deeply....UUHHGG Have a good night Ladies, and good luck, we are really strong people. WE KNOW THAT RIGHT? ~ Purple2

Sounds Like Me!

Postby SUZYQ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi everyone!!

I will be 45 this May and it all started about 1 1/2 ago. I thought I was going nuts...I was put in the hospital 3 times due to palpitations, anxiety, and fatigue that wouldn't quit!! Had every test run under the sun, CAT scan, small bowel series for the digestive problem, all the blood work you can imagine, Thyroid.... and any other test between my neck and my hip bones!!! Even as I sit here now and type (8 hours a day at the PC, which doesn't help) I totally forget where I am in typing and foggy thinking and memory is so distorted! Sometimes the tingling skin is really creepy!! Feels like there are hundreds of little bugs under my skin. I haven't had the hot flashes yet, but some night sweats and not being able to sleep. I did try something insane last year in July and I think that may have been part of my problem also. I stopped smoking (July 16th YEAH!!!) and gave up caffeine, and chocolate!!! The cigarettes are still gone, but the coffee, tea and chocolate are all back! Just couldn't let go of those 2. So I gave up one bad thing which I am really proud about and received another in place of it... LOL!!
I really try to take a good multivitamin and get as much excercise as I can by walking. I don't even feel like walking anymore, just soooo tired! I have to push myself to just get out of bed in the am. It is so nice to hear others that are going through the same things. My husband is pretty good with me, but forgets this isn't just a one day thing. Hope this helps someone else as Team 58 did for me! Nice to know I am not the only one feeling alot of the same things.
SUZYQ

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause