Digestive problems

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Digestive problems

Postby SUZYQ » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:21 am

I have been battling for a year now what I think is a digetstive problem. Tests have all been negative. I have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, gastric empytying test, small bowel series, blood work, thyroid
(3 times)... and the list goes on. I am going for my second endoscopy, colonoscopy June 6, 2005. During my OBGYN visit, my doctor told me he found blood in the stool. I believe it is probably from hemmorhoids. I went to see a gastroenterologist and he believes the same thing. But......... (no pun intended)... the change in bowel habits, not wanting to eat, gas, belching pain under the left rib cage has been doing a number to me. Does anyone else have these type of digestive problems or any other symptoms they can share with me so I don't think me and my doctors are crazy, since no one can find anything. I get such bad gas under my left rib cage and underarm area that it wakes me up in the morning. The Gastroenterologist has told me he thinks I have IBS. But I don't really have problems with the alternating constipation and diarhea. Please share your digestive experiences with me.

Thanks!
SUZYQ
Hot Pauzer

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:50 pm

Suzy I was diagnosed with IBS many, many, many years ago. I don't alternate between diarrhea and constipation, and when my IBS is at its worst I get that horrible pain under my left rib and around my navel. I also have the spastic colon which is quite painful. I've learned what foods to eliminate from my diet or to eat only a few times a year. When things get really bad (spastic colon, nausea, abdominal pain, panic attacks, jittery feeling, and depression) I take Librax for my IBS. My IBS started back in my 20's because of unhealthy diets, diet pills, diet drinks, poor nutrition and simply not taking care of myself. Also, digestive issues run in my family. If I knew then what I now know :lol:.

Digestive Disorders

Postby wendie » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 am

Hi Girls, I too was diagnosed with IBS in my early 20's, through stress, and it continued until my late thirties-I suffered gas, bloating, constipation, and the pains you described, as well as terrible pains around my right ovary, which my Doctor said were due to wind in the bowel. Many times I thought it was appendicitis, it was so bad. Then I started taking linseeds with cereal at breakfast, which eliminated everything, got me regular again and I lived a near normal life, apart from severe pains during ovulation. Last Year I was diagnosed as Peri Menopausal, and it has come back-always around the time of ovulation, 14/15th day of the month - whether I ovulate or not, as I'm not ovulating regularly any more, - and all sorts has gone through my mind. I think the fear of Cancer - Ovarian, womb or Bowel, is the most frightening, but when I see my GP, he just tells me to take my anti-spasmodic tablets for a couple of days, and It seems to settle down again. Some days, my stomach grumbles all day, and it's so loud it's embarrassing, but I'm just plodding on and trying to get by! But this must be the worst phase of life EVER!! I just wish it was all over - my Mother suffered exactly the same - and didn't finish until she was 52 yrs old, and I'm praying I won't go that long - I'm only 48 yrs old! Try keeping a diary of when it happens!
wendie
Warm Pauzer

Right there with you

Postby txgirl98 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:42 am

I have been having all the same problems. I had a colonoscopy, 2 CAT scans, my ovaries and a large cyst removed 3/05, my gallbladder out 7 weeks later, an endoscopy a week ago, a chest MRI Sat, and am on 3 different meds. I am still waking up with the pressure/indigestion feeling pain under my ribs. At least the meds have gotten the vomiting and diarhea under control. I understand how discouraging it is. Trying to recover from 2 surgeries, being thrust into menopause, and still dealing with the sypmtoms that I've had from the very beginning.

My GI doc thinks it is IBS. My surgeon thought it was the gallbladder. My OBGYN thought it was the ovarian cyst... on and on. I hope my friends and family don't get as sick of me as I am of being sick. I just keep pushing through and getting to work everyday and trying to get well. I am so grateful they haven't found anything life threatening, but it does get discouraging. Especially for someone like myself who has barely taken a sick day in years. Hang in there and know you are not crazy or a hypochodriac. Eventually they will figure out what is going on with us!! :? Take Care.
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

Endoscopy for heartburn and digestion

Postby Linnie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi,
I have an endoscopy schedule for early next month and am a bit nervous about it. They will give me sedation with IV valium so that I can still follow directions but be calm enough for the test to be done easily. I worry about the gagging thing. I have had heartburn in my lower throat on the left side for about a month now. Prilosec doesn't help. They want me to stay on it once a day til the test. I also have had throat cleraning for about 2 years now which is often attributed to acid reflux. I do not eat unhealthy fried foods. I also have LOADS of painful stomach gas and belching. Sometimes the gas pains are so severe I fear I am having a heart attack, but that gets checked out too. I do not have bowel problems. My only guess, other than menopause, is that I take 250 mg of an anti-inflammatory medication for an auto-immune disease that I have had for 25 years. I think it is finally beginning to irritiate me. This is why I am getting the endoscopy. Unfortunately, I have to take an anti-inflammatory all the time. Afer that it's on to the colonoscopy, which I do not even want to think about!!! Thanks for listening. Is the endoscopy dangerous in any way? :?:
Linnie
Hot Pauzer

Postby txgirl98 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:32 pm

Lennie, please don't fret over the endoscope. It is easy as can be. They sedate you and you don't remember anything. Same is true for the colonoscopy. The only bad part of that is the bowel cleansing you have to do the night before. But if you will do nothing but clear liquids for 2 days before it makes that not such a big deal either.

I finally have been diagnosed with Functional Dyspepsia/IBS combination. They finally have me on meds that are working and since one is an anti-depressant (I never knew that 95% of your bodies Seretonin is in your intestines!) it is also keeping my menopause sypmtoms at bay. I am learning how to control the FD/IBS and also how to manage it when it does get out of control. Just finally getting an accurate diagnosis and treatment has helped me tremendously mentally. I also now am assured after all the tests that I don't have any life threatening illnesses so that is a blessing too. Good luck to you and I hope you will have equally good results. It has taken a year of test and surgeries etc. to get me to here but I am finally starting to get back my life! Take Care
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

I'm Back!

Postby SUZYQ » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:18 am

Thank you all for your similar experiences... it is great to know it is not me mentally going crazy since no one can find anything wrong. Don't worry a bit about the endoscopy, it was the easiest test I have ever been through, the medicine they use is great and you will remember very very little afterwards. At least that was my experience.

I have also noticed these symptoms are more exhasberated during the cycle getting close and after I eat food (anytype).. what interesting bodies we have!! I still battle with pain under the left rib, heart palpitations, sometimes painful with diziness and lightheadedness, but the cardiologist has given me a clean bill of health with a nuclear stress test, ekg, and echocardiogram.

My husband is even wondering when am I going to stop seeing doctors and just realize this is what I am going to have to deal with.

I told him when Men can have babies or a Mamogram!! :lol:
SUZYQ
Hot Pauzer

Postby txgirl98 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:23 am

Suzy, ask your Dr. about an anti-spasmodic called Pamine Forte. That takes the pain away for me in less than 30 minutes. I still have the kind of indigestion feeling (pressure) but not the horrible pain. I am on Zoloft, Protonix and take the Pamine as needed. I am feeling so much better, have gotten my appetite back (which may not be that good a thing LOL!) and am finally enjoying my life again. The Zoloft keeps menopause symptoms at bay too so that is an extra added bonus. My DH had asked me when I was going to stop going to Dr.'s too. I told him when they finally found a way to stop the pain so I could start enjoying my life. I loved your answer even more. Good luck!
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

Gastrointestinal upset

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 pm

SuzyQ, I don't normally have gastrointestinal problems but since last month mine has been all out of whack. I am 45 and had two periods 18 days apart in October which is abnormal for me since I had always been a regular starter right on day 28 until April. It is now day 35 since my last period. Have had more trouble with gas and had a little trouble with constipation the first time that I ever recall. Now all of a sudden I have reversed to the opposite. I do have to see a gastroenterologist yearly because I was diagnosed at age 26 with ulcerative colitis which causes no constipation problem but does occasionally cause bleeding and diarrhea. Have to have a colonoscopy around every 10 years and a sigmoidoscopy every 5 years. I do not even feel like I am going to start this month. Periodically I have flushed feelings on my neck and face and weird chills on my arms. Am hoping this gastrointestinal distress will soon pass. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it other than Gas-X will be helpful.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:19 am

This looked like a good spot to chime in on colonoscopies. After much fretting and whining, I went through one of those today. I agree with previous poster that clear liquid diet was an excellent way to make sure that colon was clean for examination. Due to 2 days of clear liquid, I only had to drink one third of awful stuff to completely clean out the colon. The exam was a breeze...I think...I have no recall of it whatsoever.

The worst part was the tedium today of waiting, starving to death, for exam at 2 p.m. The only thing I'd change is to insist on a.m. appt.

So if you're a woman 'of age,' don't skip this wonderful way of screening for colon cancer, the second most common cause of cancer death in both American men and women, and virtually 100% preventable with this little scoping adventure.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Digestive Problems

Postby wendie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:46 am

Hi Everybody, Just to let you know that after my last posting in September 2005, I started doing a bit of detective work on myself and my diet to see if I could pinpoint my problem with a rumbling Gut, day in, day out. I also had symptoms of IBS, and was feeling really embarrassed by my rumbles when I was in Company. As a last resort, I cut out my 2 cups of coffee per day, and replaced them with Decaff - Hey Presto! Nothing - which in my case was an absolute blessing, and since Christmas, when I took the step to cut out caffeine, I have felt well, on top of the world, in fact! I don't know if this will help anybody, but I thought you might like to try it if you are experiencing Digestive troubles! It's made life a LOT MORE PLEASANT!!! My bowels are working perfectly, my Hot Flushes have gone down to virtually nil, and I feel I'm back in the 'real world' !! Good Luck if you try this, but if you drink coffee to excess, wean yourself off it, as it can make you feel dreadful if you just cut it out right away!
wendie
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:55 am

Wen!
Great news, I glad to hear your great results! FYI There are homeopathic tabs available to help with caffeine withdrawal and they really work! no headaches or nausea the only problem is that you have to stay away from all caffeine for 2 weeks, that means chocolate :(( but it really works!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Re: Digestive Problems

Postby iluvtolaff » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:14 am

[quote="wenwright679"]Hi Everybody, Just to let you know that after my last posting in September 2005, I started doing a bit of detective work on myself and my diet to see if I could pinpoint my problem with a rumbling Gut, day in, day out. I also had symptoms of IBS, and was feeling really embarrassed by my rumbles when I was in Company. As a last resort, I cut out my 2 cups of coffee per day, and replaced them with Decaff - Hey Presto! Nothing - which in my case was an absolute blessing,quote]

Wow! Only 2 cups per day? And cutting that out made the difference? I only drink 2 cups per day--1 after breakfast and 1 after lunch--and I've battled IBS/Diarrhea for 10 years! I need to try that! (I just bought a huge jar of coffee last week. Now, what do I do with it?! hahaha)
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Postby rockysmom » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 pm

i have had all the rumblings, horrible gas, ( the kind that keeps you up all night) and diharea (sp?) to boot. it comes and goes and doesn't seem to be connected to anything except the changes my body is going through. i can eat one thing and everything is fine, but if i try it again, that might be the time it just wasn't going to agree with me, and bingo... i'm looking for the alka seltzer (which is about the only thing that gives me any relief). come to think of it, it seems to happen when my system slows down a bit. that's the only way i can describe it. i didn't have it for a long time, but now (three and a half years after my periods stopped) i seem to be going through a new phase, and it's happening again along with some icky mood stuff. sure takes a long time to get through all this garbage. wonder what i'll be when i grow up. hang in there. :roll:
great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds....life's too short to wear tight shoes.
rockysmom
Hot Pauzer

Re: Digestive Problems

Postby iluvtolaff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:25 am

[quote="iluvtolaff
Wow! Only 2 cups per day? And cutting that out made the difference? I only drink 2 cups per day--1 after breakfast and 1 after lunch--and I've battled IBS/Diarrhea for 10 years! I need to try that! (I just bought a huge jar of coffee last week. Now, what do I do with it?! hahaha)[/quote]

I finally finished the big jar of regular coffee, then started on the decaf about 2 months ago--no difference! Diarrhea/IBS still going strong!
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause