High Cholesterol link & menopause??

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

High Cholesterol link & menopause??

Postby edelweiss » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:52 pm

Does anyone know if it is unusual for cholesterol totals (especially LDL) to increase after menopause. I have been on and off HRT for around 8 years now; currently doing bioidenticals with some success.

I also have been doing a low carb WOE for the past 5 years. I've kept my weight where it should be, but, when I had my blood work done to check my hormone levels in March, my cholesterol was 45 points higher than it was in 2003. During that time I was on and off HRT several times - and wonder if this could be part of the problem. I began to add complex carbs back into my diet and backed off red meat and dairy to some degree. My new numbers as of last week are better (total 245) but the LDL is still high (162)

I've got another 3 months to work on it - and my doctor suggested a few supplements to try before she wants me on medication. My hormone levels have all improved since I've been on bioidenticals - thank goodness. Practically have to be a scientist to know what to do anymore.... :?
edelweiss
Combustible

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:22 am

I think this might answer your question. It's a very interesting article anyway :)

"So why do we read so much about the value of taking estrogen to lower cholesterol after menopause. (18) The answer to this question is not so clear, other than the fact that taking estrogen does lower total cholesterol and “bad” LDL, and does raise “good” HDL cholesterol. But it is important to keep in mind that change in these identified risk factors for heart disease has not yet been proven to produce a change in the actual occurrence of heart disease in women. Also, total cholesterol in women is not as predictive of future heart disease risk, as is the HDL and LDL levels and their ratio, probably because women tend to have higher proportions of HDL. The dangerous LDL cholesterol does tend to rise with age in both men and women. It also rises as a person gains weight. However, menopause alone does not induce a dramatic elevation of LDL."

http://www.ayurveda-ayurvedic.com/ref6-3.html
Zero

High cholestrol before menopause

Postby bettyboopanna » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:08 am

I have high cholestrol and it has been under control for last 5 years. I have inheirated it from my grandmother, who died as a result of a major heart attack. I am watchin my diet and tryint to control my urge for the things that will increase it. As of now I have been surgical put into menopause for the last three years and it has not seemed to affect the cholestrol yet. Your question is a good one? Any answers out there?

AMB
(b Red + Blue) bettyboopanna (B)
bettyboopanna

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause