Aches and stiff joint pain :(

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Aches and stiff joint pain :(

Postby Linnie » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:01 pm

Hi,
I liked the Seven Dwarfs description of Menopauseal symptoms! I think my main complaint is aches and pains in my knees, fingers and toes!! (Can anyone relate?) This causes me to become irritable and anxious about doing things I always do, like household painting, food shopping, etc. because I know the pain will worsen. I find that not eating sugar or anything with additives and no red meat helps a bit. When I eat those foods the pains seem to worsen. Boy, I remember standing right at the fridge door stuffing my face with all kinds of goodies when I got the munchies right before periods. Now if I ate that kind of stuff I'd be one big tired ache!!
I also have gotten allergies since Menopause. Could never relate to the discomfort of allergies - sure can now!!! I get itchy pink eye, nasal drip, sneezing and the added bonus of eczema right smack in the middle of my forehead!!!
All of this makes me remember how I used to tell my mom that I couldn't wait for my periods to stop so that I would no longer suffer from severe cramps I used to get. She told me that after our periods stop is when all the trouble begins. I never bothered to ask her what she meant by that...now I know!!! Maybe my "Seven Dwarf" Menopause names can be: Itchy, Achey, Sneezy (!), Sweaty, Crabby, Stinky (increased body odor) wilty (wilted, dried up!!)
Upward and onward!! :D
Linnie
Hot Pauzer

Postby edelweiss » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:07 pm

Well - I guess we are all in one stage of this maddness or another.... :lol:

I thought by now I'd be over all of this - but here I am - staring 58 in the face in another 2 months, haven't had a period in well over 5 years; yet, as Gidla Radner said so well "It's always something."

I have been on and off HRT for probably 8 years now. I am now on bioidentials and am feeling better. The hot flashes have diminished, the libido has awakened a bit. On the down side - I have extremely dry eyes, and just recently, this deep muscle pain. Now, I have worked out since my mid 30's and pride myself on being able to do the same workouts (with maybe a little modification here and there.) Nothing has changed - except that I have the DOM's (delayed onset muscle pain) - all the time. I would expect it if I were learning a new workout, or uping my poundage of hand weights, BUT I"M NOT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENT..... :evil: I roll out of bed barely able to stand up until I have a hot shower. My knees ache and yes, my fingers are stiff also. At this rate, I will have to keep working out until I drop because it's the only thing that keeps me moving. I take a fist full of supplements as it is and Fosomax for osteoperosis. So - what's this all about???? :x
edelweiss
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:10 pm

That IS surprising, E. .....who would have thought you would have this problem after exercising so regularly for so long? You're still probably in better shape overall than those of us who haven't exercised for many years. I'm also amazed that you used to take hrt AND you exercised, but you still have osteoporosis?

Come to think of it, a close friend of mine was also on estrogen for many years, not overweight, and didn't smoke and she was diagnosed with osteoporosis too. I just wonder if we haven't been fed a bunch of bull about how to prevent osteo too?

I haven't had insurance for about 8 years, so haven't been able to get my check ups, but I had one of those ankle bone density tests at a health fair and she said I had the beginnings of osteopina (sp?). Now I have all of what I thought were the risk factors for osteoporosis...overweight, no exercise, long time smoker and no estrogen supplement for 15 years. Maybe being fat produced enough estrogen and being overweight was like "weight bearing exercise"....I don't know. Can't figure out what is the best way to prevent anything anymore.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby edelweiss » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:20 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head Dee. I had my first bone density test about 7 years ago. At that time, the test showed a slight deterioriation in the hips and my doc said to do all the usual things: weight bearing exercise, up the calcium supplements, etc. My doc in Tennessee put me on Fosomax even though my follow up test showed improvement. I don't know why I didn't question it then - I just assumed at that point in my menopause, that's what I needed to do.

I suppose I could question it now - since I've gotten so gutsy about my health care. There is a strong history of osteoperosis in the family tho - so, I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon. :roll:
edelweiss
Combustible

aches/pains

Postby CindyS » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:15 pm

I've worked out for over 10 years, am not overweight - generally in good physical health (or so they say). The past 1/2 year or so I have developed increasing achiness in arms, shoulders, upper back & neck. I thought it was job related (at computer all day) - and it still may be in part. But wondering now that I've read these posts if it is related to menopause. Seems these symptoms creep up on us when we least expect it. Kinda scary cuz don't know what's happening - scared that it is heart attack symptoms, yet BP, pulse, weight, diet, exercise are all excellent. Oh and the panic sets in! Does the flax oil really work that well? How long does it take to "get into your system" and start working it's "magic"??? :?
CindyS

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:39 am

This info about flax oil was written by someone who SELLS the product, but at least we can see what they're claiming it does....it's hard to find hard medical facts about supplements, natural foods and herbs because they make no money studying things that can't be patented.

So, for what it's worth:

Treat menopausal symptoms, menstrual cramps, female infertility and endometriosis. Because the hormone-balancing lignans and plant estrogens (phytoestrogens) in flaxseed oil help stabilize a woman's estrogen-progesterone ratio, they can have beneficial effects on the menstrual cycle, and relieve the hot flashes of perimenopause and menopause. Flaxseed oil may also improve uterine function and thus treat fertility problems. In addition, the essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil have been shown to block production of prostaglandins, hormonelike substances that, when released in excess amounts during menstruation, can cause the heavy bleeding associated with endometriosis.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Rose52 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:13 pm

I too have been having more joint and muscle pain, some in places I didn't know I had, lol. I have severe arthritis in my right knee and mild in my right hip but lately they both been being alot more painful. I wake up in the morning to general aches and pains all over my body, but some might be due to my bed, I need a new mattress.

But I have noticed the usual pains I have do seem more worse now and then other days I don't notice them at all. Those being the days I like best, lol.

Rose
Rose52
Hot Pauzer

Osteo and amall framed women-

Postby Linnie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:18 pm

Hi,
Just a word about women in good shape that are on the thin and small side but get osteoporosis. I am on the petite side, exercised all my adult life and have osteo. My doctor said that his wife who is petite has it also. Said that mainly small framed thin women seem to get it. Heavy set woman generally do not!! I never thought to ask why. Next week when I see this doctor I will ask and come back and post his reply.
Tai Chi has been an excellent exercise for me these days. I took an 8 class course this summer and learned so much from it. I think it is helping the aches and pains. I highly recommend it and also Chi Kung.
I read recently that people who drank one cup of green tea a day had increased bone density compared to those who did not. Worth a try?
Stay cool ladies. :D
Linnie
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:03 am

Thanks, Linnie....nice to see you back! :) I always knew there was a good reason to be fat! :lol:

Come on Ladies...let's have more posts about osteoporosis so we can try to determine what might be the best thing to do to prevent it!

Here's some additional information I've gathered:
http://www.minniepauz.com/calcium.html
http://www.minniepauz.com/osteoporosis.html

There are some great links on those pages too....
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Ms. Shapen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:40 pm

I suffer from an extremely stiff back sometimes. If I want to sleep in on the weekends, my back won't let me. I can only sleep about half an hour longer than my 6 a.m. workday time. Then my back starts getting stiff and it's hard to roll over, let alone get out of bed.

I had a lot of trouble in college this past year with having to sit for so long. My back felt like it was solidifying as I sat there. There was a time that I really considered quitting school because of it, and I was more than half way through my program.

I had a blood test for arthritis. I'm not sure there really IS such a thing or if the medical community has started humoring me. LOL The test was negative.

My grandmother had osteoporosis and my mother does now. I can't imagine living with the pain that these two women have lived through. I think they are far stronger than I, and I think I would choose not to live with the pain.

I was told by an orthopedic doctor that my back problems could be from my large breast size or from my sedentary lifestyle (work and school). Of course, I'd love a breast reduction, but how do I know THAT will help my back?

Anyway . . . he said that my muscles hurt from inactivity. I'm not sure that I understand that. I do the same thing with my arms and legs everyday and they don't hurt, so why does it not stand to reason that doing the same thing with my back would not make it hurt?

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers, but we aren't alone . . .
Pauz-ing to remember what I was going to do next . . . *sigh* :D
Ms. Shapen
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause