Itchy, crawly skin

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Itchy, crawly skin

Postby jschneider57 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:25 am

I have been in perimenopause for a while and recently began experiencing itchiness. BUT PREDOMINENTLY ONLY ON MY LEFT ARM!
It becomes painful at times.
1. anyone know why that may be?
2. any suggestions how to ease the pain/itch? I have tried vitasmin e oil, oatmeat cream, antihistamine spray and taken oral antihistamines.
HELP!!! Thanks
jschneider57

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:43 am

Hi and welcome to the board....many women have talked about this symptom and it's called formication....there's a recent post about it in the Ask the Professionals section and if you type that into the search feature (above), you'll find all the posts that mention it. I haven't seen anyone come up with a solution for it yet, but at least you'll know you're not alone! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Holistic Menopause » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:29 pm

Dee, you are one of only a few who even know that word -- formication. Bravo! It can best be described as "creepy, crawly skin" or that sensation that there are bugs crawling all over you. YUCK!

In Chinese Traditional Medicine, raw beets are used for this. You can grate them on your salad or juice them.

I found that increasing my intake of essential fatty acids and water helped too. Because formication involves nerves, adding more B vitamins is good too.

And, of course, be sure your bodycare products are clean and free of chemicals and preservatives. We become super sensitive to everything during perimenopause.

Take care,
Michelle
Holistic Menopause

Postby Ceci » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 pm

I experience this too! Until I read this post, I had no idea it might be related to hormonal changes in my body. I learned something--thanks!

Ceci
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead. --Jimmy Buffett
DB: 1961
Perimenopausal
Major symptom: Maxine-like tendencies
Ceci

Peri-menopause

Postby mgr » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:14 am

Thanks guys for your response on Itchy, Crawly skin.
I'm so happy to hear that I am not alone. I am having so many symptoms that sometimes I think I make them up. Also, I have thyroid disease, therefore not always knowing whats what.
Anyone taking birth control to releive some of these symptoms? If so how is it working for you. I am taking Alesse. I am worried about the shakes, maybe its anxiety, I just want to do whatever I can to get through the awful time.
Thanks guys,

MGR :)
mgr
Hot Pauzer

Postby whitemagic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:20 am

I am covered in bruises from this itching......it is out of control and I look like a bus ran over me..........lol. I just want to take a rake to my legs somedays!!

Jadie
"I was a restless spirit on an endless flight but now my broom is losing its bristles"
whitemagic
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:36 am

That doesn't sound right, Whitemagic..... have you seen a doctor? Do you have any allergies that might be causing the itching? I've also read that certain medications can cause itching skin...even aspirin in some people. The kind we're talking about here is not going to cause bruising. I would check to see if there's something else going on besides just fluctuating hormones!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby whitemagic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:25 pm

I have bruised easily since childhood......its just who I am.......so the bruising doesnt shock me one bit. All I have to do is push my finger into my hand and instant bruise.......no reason behind it. The itching though......I am reducing my paxil dose......and have since looked into the withdrawal effects..........apparently itching is one of them. It is better today than it was..........but if it does persist I will call the doc about it...........and thank you so much for your concern Minnie!!!!!!

Jadie xo
"I was a restless spirit on an endless flight but now my broom is losing its bristles"
whitemagic
Hot Pauzer

Postby DaMomma » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:06 pm

I too had wen thru a period of the INTENSE itching and that my scratchin left bruises too.

I found by taking benedryl did relieved some of it but not all.
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Itchy crawly feelings..............

Postby Cass » Tue May 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I was so pleased to read your note because I thought I was going mad :x
I don't know the reason but my itchy arms have stopped now for a while - thank God :D up until around January I had been suffering with extremely itchy arms but only from my elbows to my shoulder and really badly at night :? I thought it was a left over from some sunburn, but it went on so long. I'm sorry we all suffer with it but it is good to know that there is a connection.

I take Red Clover Blossom and it has stopped since I began taking it - now I just get weird short hot flushes (UK) from the neck up and always when I just want to get some sleep :!:

Hope yours get better soon.

Cass
Cass

Postby minniepauz » Tue May 09, 2006 9:59 pm

Welcome, Cass!! Glad to hear your itching has subsided!! I'll have to do some research on what else red clover may be good for!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby PDiva » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:52 am

I've had those weird hot flashes from just the neck up too. I thought I had some strange heart or circulation problem. Doctors basically ignored this symptom when I complained about it. I hate the itchy crawly skin. I always feel like a bug is crawling on me. I live in the desert, so bugs are indeed an issue, and this just creeps me out. What do we do to relieve this? Does HRT relieve this?
PDiva
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause