desire and menopause

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

desire and menopause

Postby parts2you » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:51 pm

ok, i know i havent been here for a long time, and now i am asking personal questions!!!
those of you are in menopause.....no periods for over a year....how has it affected your sexual desire?
i have a few friends who are there, and have no desire whatsoever. what are the chances of this happening to me??? :cry:
i have never had a high sex drive. though in my thirties i did experience the stereotype "peak" thing!! (and enjoyed it!). i find that now...the past few years and into my fifties, i am very off and on...could care less or am thinking thoughts that i have no idea where they came from!! :oops: i currently am not in a relationship, but it worries me that i will revert back to my younger days when i could have cared less.
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:17 am

Yes, my dear....there IS a Santa Claus!! oh wait, wrong question!! :) Actually, you might as well have asked about the jolly guy in the red suit because we've all had such different experiences, so it's very difficult to predict what you will experience based on someone else.

I've been single since 1982 and haven't had a relationship for the past 10 years, so I don't even know where my libido is!!! I'm thinking it might be located in my little toe on my right foot. :) Hopefully there are plenty of members here who will give you a range of responses that will help you figure out, if nothing else, that you are perfectly normal.

I've heard several women claim that their libido has gone through the roof, too! Oh please, God.....don't give ME that one!! Sounds exhausting!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby parts2you » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:42 pm

well i sure hope if my libido goes thru the roof, i am in a a relationship!!! that would truly suck!!! or do you think that if you havent been in a relationship for a long time, it would cause that NOT to happen??? do we have any pyschologists on here :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby Beep » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:46 pm

Brand new here. I was Googling to see if I could find out whether fluctuating hormone levels can result in a serious (and very surprising) increase in libido during perimenopause. Looks like someone else is having the same symptom here! :wink:

I'm 53, been divorced forever and have not had intimate contact for, oh, about 10 years or so. I usually don't think about it, but have had the occasional "spell" of desire, I'd say for a short time maybe every few months. Not enough to cause me to do anything nuts.

I had a partial hysterectomy around 1992, I think, and my ovaries have apparently functioned normally until lately. Since I have no periods by which to identify perimenopause, I have wondered whether I'd even know since some women are said to have no symptoms. Well, I started having hot flashes several weeks ago - waking up sweating, kicking the covers off, then waking up cold & pulling the covers up, waking up sweating again, etc. I little annoying this way at night, but not a real big deal. They've also been pretty regular during the day, but don't really bother me much. About a week ago I noticed a sudden increase in my libido out of nowhere. Thinking some very hazardous thoughts - the kind that are likely to get me into trouble if they continue. I've been going through a list of male acquaintances in my head and selecting possibilities. This is not good. :shock:

Just a couple of days ago I realized that I haven't had any hot flashes at all during this period of wild thoughts. I wonder whether fluctuating hormone levels are responsible? Could it be that during periods of lower than normal levels I have the hot flashes, and during periods of higher than normal levels I fantasize about luring friends over for illicit purposes? This is so very unusual for me that there must be some physiological explanation! I've seen "decreased libido" listed as a symptom of menopause just about everywhere, but no mention of any *increase* except right here. I wonder how many other women experience this? I wonder if it will stabilize or even just go away completely before I do something rash?
Beep

Postby parts2you » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:33 pm

minnie--i wish that when the reply page comes up,it would show the previous threads if you scroll up,like some websites....i cant remember everything she said,that i want to reply to!!! and my computer gets so slow sometimes,thats its a pain to go back,and then forward again...but anyway...........................................i sooooooooo identify with what was just said!!! i too, have gone thru that mental process of who can i call?????!!!!!!!!!! i am sure there is a pattern to these things, i just dont know what it is in my case. i notice that i feel physically the best when my period is on vacation for a few months!! then when it comes back, i suffer. now,i have gotten it every month again for the past four months,and i feel rotten more weeks than good. i also, got out of my water pill and aloe vera juice routine,and i dont know if it is a coincidence or not that all my old woes have returned. my weight though has remained steady,which i am thankful for. (despite the awful bloating i am dealing with)
on the libido thing...i will make a point to look for a pattern. i know that sometimes it is just like usual in that i get very interested right before my period,during,and right after. my hot flashes have not been anywhere near as bad for a long time,so i cant tell anything from that...that ive noticed. for me now, a hot flash seems to be i just feel like maybe the ac isnt working as it should!! then,a few min later i could be freezing!!
i know that the random sexual thoughts started in my late forties, and still continue off and on at 51.and when i was in a relationship, they seemed to happen when he wasnt around!!!go figure!!!
its all just so mind boggling.......................................
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:04 pm

parts2you....the previous posts ARE there when you write your repy,but they're BELOW the reply box instead of above. :) Just scroll down and you'll see them with the latest one first. :)

For both of you....the increased libido is more common than you might think, especially with the fluctuating testosterone situation! What we're all searching for is BALANCE....balanced hormones, balanced minerals and vitamins (magnesium, potassium, etc.) and balanced sex lives. :) During this time of life though, it seems impossible to keep anything in balance before levels change once again, requiring constant adjustment of our remedies for the imbalance which plays havoc on our daily lives.

If you use the search feature above and type in increased libido, you will find many other posts that support what you're experiencing, which doesn't help figure out what to do about it, but at least you know you're not a sex maniac or something...hahahah..
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause