Saliva Test

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Saliva Test

Postby Jeanie C » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:35 pm

Has anyone had their hormones checked using a saliva test? I'm thinking of trying it and am curious at to other's experiences.

Thanks,
Jeanie
Jeanie C
Hot Pauzer

Postby Zero » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:55 am

Jeanie....some doctors feel that the saliva test is not as reliable as blood tests and others think it's better. Same old story....who do you believe?

Did you see the Dr. Phil show on menopause? His wife, Robyn, recommended the saliva test, I believe. The main thing is to get some measurement of all your hormone levels, because without that it's hard to determine what you need to be taking. Here's what she takes:

Robin McGraw shares a list of natural supplements that have helped her put her hormones back in balance and ease menopausal symptoms.

To Relieve Menopausal Symptoms

Black Cohosh

B12 and B6 vitamins

Folic Acid

Inositol

"These four items are very good for overall menopausal symptoms," explains Robin, "especially black cohosh, which is good for hot flashes. The B12, B6 and folic acid help with mood and to ease you through the transition. The inositol also helps with mood. You take it at night and it helps you to sleep."

Essential Oils

Flax Seed Oil

Evening Primrose Oil

Vitamin E

Omega-3

"These are really good overall for hormone symptoms," says Robin. "Essential oils are good for joints because sore joints can be a symptom of menopause."

Menopause and Weight Gain
Robin goes on to explain that weight gain can be a symptom of menopause because menopause affects the thyroid gland, which helps regulate body weight. "When you get your blood work done, there is a range for the thyroid and your doctor can tell you if yours is normal. I bought a basil thermometer and every morning for 10 days, I put it under my arm and recorded my temperature. If it's even a degree below 98, then you are susceptible to having a low thyroid. Mine was 95. My doctor had told me I was fine, but mine was very low so I went on natural hormone therapy."
Zero

Postby Zero » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:04 pm

Aha....here's what I was looking for:

The first thing you have to do is get your blood work done. And do the hair follicle and saliva testing. That does cost money, but if you have insurance, it will pay for that. If not, I think it's worth saving for by not having your hair done or going out to dinner, etc. I went to my compounding pharmacist and health food stores ... I went everywhere.

And here's a good book: Ann Louise Gittleman, a nutritionist and author of Before the Change. Her advice (which Robyn follows) is:

Flaxseed Oil
High in lignans, a natural hormone-balancing substance, flaxseed oil is as effective as hormone replacement therapy in lessening hot flashes and sweating. It's also good for depression and fatigue.
— Recommended dosage: 1 to 2 tbsp. a day. An alternative is to buy ground up flaxseed, and sprinkle it on top of your food (such as oatmeal and popcorn).

Evening Primrose Oil
Helps in relieving breast tenderness, mood swings, anxiety, irritability, headaches and water retention.
— Recommended dosage: Two weeks prior to the start of your period, take 1,000 mg a day - half in the morning, half at night - after food.

Multi-vitamins and Magnesium
Having sufficient amounts of the essential multivitamins listed below, along with magnesium, will help to relieve mood swings, insomnia, anxiety, tissue dryness, and water-retention.
Recommended to start with:
— Vitamin B complex, 50 - 100 mg a day
— Vitamin C, 1000 mg three times a day
— Vitamin E, 400 - 1200 iu a day
— Magnesium, 500 - 1000 mg before bed

Zinc
Helps to lower estrogen (too much is as bad as too little) and increase progesterone levels. Also helps to build strong bones and improve your immune system.
— Recommended dosage: 15 - 50 mg a day

Natural Progesterone Cream
This can help in relieving fuzzy thinking, fatigue and fat gain. Rub on your throat, the fleshy areas of the inner arms, and in the palms of your hand.

Exercise
Work out vigorously for at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week.

De-stress
Stress amplifies symptoms and causes the body to produce the hormone cortisol. Too much cortisol can cause diabetes and high blood pressure. Stress also zaps the body of essential minerals and vitamins.

Adrenal Refresher
At times of high stress, replacing lost minerals and vitamins can help the adrenal glands produce less stress hormones.
— Recommended: B complex vitamins, Vitamin C, Adrenal Gland Extract, green and yellow vegetables and sea vegetables.

Soy Phytoestrogens
Soy can help in diminishing the intensity of hot flashes and night sweats. Consume moderate amounts of soy isoflavone supplements.

Natural Hormone Therapy
Visit your local compounding pharmacist and request to have a saliva test done. The results will tell you what your balance of progesterone and testosterone is, and what your estrogen/progesterone ratio is.
Zero

Postby Jeanie C » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:10 pm

Thanks for the info Dee! I contacted my niece last week, who happens to work for a compounding pharmacy. She is sending me a saliva test kit and recommended an area doctor for me to see.

I haven't had a blood test to check my hormones (other than thyroid) in 15 years! I've had doctors ask me if I've had them checked, but when I said "no', no one, not even the doctor who put my on HRT, bothered to check them. I plan to walk in to see the new doc with my saliva test results in hand and I'll ask for blood work too.

I just finished reading "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause", by Dr. John Lee. Very interesting reading.

Geez, with so many of us baby boomers going through this, you'd think we wouldn't have to do all the leg work!!

Again, thanks for the info! Have a great day!!

Jeanie
Jeanie C
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause