Handling period uncertainties

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Handling period uncertainties

Postby Ms. Shapen » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:56 am

Hi Ladies:

I'm going to try to get through this without being too graphic.

I really hadn't looked into this menopause thing too much before I found this site over the summer, so I didn't know the lingo.

I started a period the day before my daughter's college graduation. Generally, I try to stay home or very close to home during these times, but I obviously couldn't. Of course that HAD to be the first time that my period went completely out of control. :oops: I felt like I exploded. (Later, I learned here that it's called "flooding" and for good reason.) Anyway, I was wearing dark clothing and the resulting spot was small and just below the zipper of my pants. I made it through the event, but I was basically traumatized. :( (I am generally very responsible and in-control and this was so out-of-control. *sigh*)

Okay, I'm getting closer to my question. LOL

I am in a relationship with a man :D who would like me to move to his metropolitan area. (I currently live in a rural area, in a different state.) I have been in the traffic around his community. It is crazy. It can take well over an hour to get 45 miles, because of traffic and road construction. As it is now, it only takes me 20 minutes to get to work, so I'm "safe" during "that time."

Finally, my question . . . How does a woman with period issues even BEGIN to prepare to be in traffic everyday going to and coming from work? What happens when traffic stops and the next restroom is five lanes over on the other side of the highway and three exits down?

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated and "stuck" I feel with having to deal with it. (But I know that I'm not alone and that life could be worse.)

Thanks for your input.
Pauz-ing to remember what I was going to do next . . . *sigh* :D
Ms. Shapen
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:42 pm

Personally, I don't think even the love of a good man could get ME to sit in traffic ever again, period or no period!! hahahah..... but my advice would be to find the heavy duty brand of all personal products and double up when you know you might get stuck in traffic.

Anyone else have a suggestion? It's ridiculous for us to have to deal with this at our age, isn't it? That's the one reward that makes it worthwhile to get through it all...........I haven't had a period in 14 years!! It's wonderful!!!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Ms. Shapen » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:10 pm

Thanks, Minnie.

Just thinking about what could happen makes me VERY anxious. *sigh*

By "doubling up" on protection, do you mean a tampon and a pad? I'm worried about using a tampon. Had I been using one of those the day that I "exploded," I think it would be become a projectile and hurt someone. LMAO (I've never favored tampons, because even when I was younger, they would leak - but not be used up, if you know what I mean - and create a bigger mess then if I hadn't used them.)

Minnie Pauz wrote:I haven't had a period in 14 years!! It's wonderful!!!!

Yeah, and I'm jealous. :lol: Just keep rubbing it in. :lol:
Pauz-ing to remember what I was going to do next . . . *sigh* :D
Ms. Shapen
Hot Pauzer

You got it a tampon and pad

Postby ms_linda » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:26 pm

I have some heavy months and some light months. Heavy months I want to sleep at night! In order to do so, in goes 2 yes 2 tampons and then some panties and a pad. Otherwise I end up waking up a few times to change my tampon or sleeping all night and have to do sheets and the matress cover the next day.
ms_linda
On Fire!

Postby mamagrrl » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:22 pm

I'd handle it differently, only because is sounds like you're asking what do you do if you MIGHT start your period and you're stuck in traffic for 45 mins...

I'd carry one of those really old cloth diapers in the glove compartment and a shawl in the backseat. If someone asks, tell them it's to wipe the condensation off your windshield. If you unexpectedly start to flood, fold the diaper longways in thirds (so it's 3-ply), lift your butt off the seat long enough to shove it underneath, and relax. Your seat is protected. Get home, wrap the shawl around your waist (or drape it in front of you for cover) grab the diaper (folded in half to hide the red) and IMMEDIATELY do a load of laundry on cold to get everything clean again.

I can't abide tampons either. They never felt good and you could never tell when they were about to leak (sometimes within minutes.) Maybe I'm shaped funny or something. (I usually use flannel pads (no, I'm not a hippy. I just don't like the adhesive sticking to me and pulling!) Gladrags makes my favorite flannel pads. On the heavy day, I'll put three or four inserts into the 'nighttime' longer pads and that'll hold for an hour of tidal-wave flow easy, but usually will go half a day (when it's comfiest to change anyway.) Might be worth your time to google them.

I say you go for the sweetie, anyway you can. There are always seat-covers you can get in black too (but don't know if they're washable!)
mamagrrl
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:37 am

minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause