Achy cramping legs and insomnia

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Achy cramping legs and insomnia

Postby cmoc » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:39 am

As soon as I lay down to sleep, my legs start to feel agitated, then the aching behind the knees and in the hamstrings starts, every night and I am unable to sleep. I feel that I want to stretch mylegs out straight but if I do, they will cramp. When I do eventually get to sleep, I wake at 4 every morning, after only 4 hrs sleep, then, I am awake for two hrs, then, if lucky, go back to sleep for an hr. If not lucky, dont go back to sleep at all, this has been going on for 8 months now. Can anyone relate to this, especially the legs, and has anyone found any answers. Also, does anyone know how long these symptoms last?

Thanks.

Chris
cmoc
On Fire!

Postby colopam » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:22 am

Morning Chris!
My mom had cramps all the time in her legs at night, I'd have to get up and massage them until she started eating a banana a day. turns out she was low in potassium. I've found for my early wakings (sometimes 2 a.m.) that taking calcium w/ magnesium (D and boron included) helps my muscles relax and for the really bad nights a homeopathic product called "Calms Forte" (analgesics aisle at CVS) helps ALOT!!!
Some leg exercises may help with some of the discomfort also, we used to give our patients "homework" of doing alphabets (writing the alphabet in the air or on the floor with your feet) or ankle flexion/extension, alternately pointing your toes down then flexing them up towards your nose.
Hugs and good luck!
Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Re: Achy cramping legs and insomnia

Postby minniepauz » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:55 am

cmoc wrote:As soon as I lay down to sleep, my legs start to feel agitated, then the aching behind the knees and in the hamstrings starts, every night and I am unable to sleep. I feel that I want to stretch mylegs out straight but if I do, they will cramp. When I do eventually get to sleep, I wake at 4 every morning, after only 4 hrs sleep, then, I am awake for two hrs, then, if lucky, go back to sleep for an hr. If not lucky, dont go back to sleep at all, this has been going on for 8 months now. Can anyone relate to this, especially the legs, and has anyone found any answers. Also, does anyone know how long these symptoms last?

Thanks.
Chris

Sounds like you might have restless leg syndrome, Chris. You might want to check these sites and see if anything there relates to what you're feeling.
http://www.restlesslegs.com/?rotation=1 ... r=16966469
http://www.rls.org
http://www.menopause-metamorphosis.com/ ... s_legs.htm

Another suggestion is to change your routine before you go to bed. It's kind of like fooling your body out of an old habit and shocking it with a new pattern. Go to bed an hour earlier or later....Do some light exercise that focuses on your legs and stretching.....Drink some milk..... Take a calcium/magnesium tablet ..... Make sure you're really tired before going to bed. Anyway, you get the picture. Let us know if any of this helps!

hahahah....Pam, great minds think alike, huh? :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby cmoc » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:51 am

Thanks Pam and Dee, sounds like good advice, I will give it all a try.
went to those sites and it suggested putting a bar of soap in the bed, how
bizarre is that? Still, nothing to lose!

Best Wishes

Chris
cmoc
On Fire!

Postby Bevy1958 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:06 pm

I have restless leg syndrome and was told about the soap...sadly it didn't work for me :cry: . The only thing I can do is get up and move around or do some deep lunges or squats.
I have found that for about 1 wk a month I am free of this nasty feeling but the other 3 wks I have to be careful what I eat at
suppertime...meaning no meat!!
I have had this for most of my life but I found it only bothered me when I was overtired...now, thanks to the wonders of womanhood it has gotten worse. There is a drug you can take but I prefer to use as few drugs as possible.
makin snow angels with just shorts and a T-shirt on...that cools me down!!!
Born 1958...been peri since about my late 30's
Bevy1958
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:37 am

I agree with you about taking the drugs, Bevy, but out of all those sites for restless leg syndrome, was the only suggestion to put soap in your bed??? Jeez....maybe I'd better read those sites more thoroughly before recommending them, huh? :)

One thing I will suggest to anyone dealing with any particular symptom or problem....do as much research as possible (thank goodness for the internet) and then share it and discuss it with others (as we do here). We just can't rely on one source or one solution these days and it helps to get feedback from others and hear they're experiences.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Bevy1958 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 pm

Actaually, a friend told me to try the soap. I haven't bothered to do a lot of research on this because compared to a lot of people, mt symptoms are mild. I've lived with it all my live and even though it's worse now I know it will lessen again once I reach the end of this *journey* 8)

Bevy1958
makin snow angels with just shorts and a T-shirt on...that cools me down!!!
Born 1958...been peri since about my late 30's
Bevy1958
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause