ADENOMYOSIS

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

ADENOMYOSIS

Postby meadowlark6581 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:44 pm

abc
Last edited by meadowlark6581 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
meadowlark6581

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:10 pm

I do hope there's someone who can discuss this with you. I haven't heard of it, but I did find a pretty clear description of it so at least we are learning about something new.
The penetration and growth of endometrial tissue from the uterine lining into the myometrium (uterine muscle) is called adenomyosis or internal endometriosis. This disease may coexist with external endometriosis in which endometrial implants are located outside the uterus. The abnormally located endometrial tissue, like the normal endometrium, tends to bleed with the menses. The blood and debris may accumulate in these misplaced glands creating small fluid collections inside the uterine wall. This penetrating and functioning endometrial tissue may lead to swelling; the uterus may become larger and globular. Adenomyosis may present as a diffuse condition or it may be focal. In the latter, there are local areas of swelling, so-called adenomyomas, that may mimic other uterine masses.

Most commonly adenomyosis is mistaken for another common condition, uterine fibroids. There is however a fundamental difference between a fibroid (a distinct tumor) and adenomyoma. Each fibroid originates from one abnormal cell. Under the effect of estrogen this cell multiplies. The growing tumor may displace and compress tissues but it does not invade the surrounding uterine muscle because of this growth pattern of fibroids, it is possible to remove all of the tumor without removing any normal uterine tissue during myomectomy (surgical removal of fibroids). In contrast, adenomyoma is not a discrete tumor but rather a local swelling of the uterine wall as a result of the penetration of endometrial tissue. Therefore it is not possible to remove tissue affected by adenomyosis without actually removing the involved uterine muscle.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:46 pm

Hi meadowlark! I do not have this but just wanted to let you know there are lots of women who have this and are going through a hysterectomy for it. There is a website that you will be able to find lots of info about it and maybe also alternatives to hysterectomy. Good luck!!

http://www.hystersisters.com

Dee I hope thats o.k. that I put that here!!
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:31 pm

Definitely ok, Cathy.... Hystersister and Minnie Pauz are sister sites :) Thanks for thinking of it.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause