Winter is Here!!!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Winter is Here!!!

Postby scottie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:12 am

I would just like to say HOORAY for winter! All I have to do is pop out the back door and stand there for a few minutes to relieve the latest hot flash. The cold air is lovely! :D
scottie

Postby colopam » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:56 am

I could appreciate that! I don't have power surges yet just the warmies but was putting up the Christmas tree and had to have DH turn on the AC cuz it was too hot (cleaned carpets yesterday, same thing), I DO miss the cold we could get in CO or even TN (more moderate) and I hate becoming acclimated to Tampa as the "cold" (60's ect ) are starting to feel cool to me (wimps) but on the other hand the hot (and humidity) are also becoming easier to handle. My DH tends to laugh evilly when he sees Denver at -3 and we're at 85 (he never enjoyed the snow I grew up in), gee there was an ice cream truck making it's rounds yesterday! Oh to be able to go out the door and make some snow angels if I needed to!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby scottie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:31 am

Pam, I grew up in CA and am a Midwest transplant so we're the opposite of each other. I remember wearing a wool winter (for CA) coat when it was in the 40's and being very cold. Now, when it's in the 30's, it's a nice day. Below 20 and it's cold to me. I visited Florida in August a couple of years ago. I think what surprised me was that I felt like the sun was ever present. Here, we seem to have more shade i.e. oak trees, etc. At Disneyworld I felt like a fried egg all day. I have to admit, I love the seasons, although being continually outside in the snow and cold has lost its thrill. :? I don't even have to drive the kids to go sledding; they can drive themselves. I do plan on making one sledding attempt this winter if at all possible, though. :D
scottie

Postby colopam » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:36 am

Scottie
I still have my cross country skis and snowshoes (got rid of my downhill skis in TN). Last year was our first winter out here and we used to laugh at the people in their big winter coats and ski hats (called toboggans in the south!) and hoping we wouldn't get there. I myself like to cuddle with a blanket in front of the tv or when reading but DH like to run around without shoes etc so the house is warmer than I like it, nothing like sleeping in a nice comfy bed with cool air all around. Where you at Scottie?
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby scottie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:29 am

Pam, I tried cross country skiing for the first time a couple of years ago. What a workout! I've never been downhill skiing and probably never will (old dog/new trick syndrome).
scottie

Postby colopam » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:56 pm

Scottie
I learned to downhill from a guy that was on the Olympic ski team back in the '6o's and enjoyed it (growing up in CO) a lot. Unfortunately I hit my knee on a diving board when I was on swim team and eventually it just didn't like to do the downhill as much any more. Didn't start to x-country until I was in my 30's and LOVE it! Yes, it is a great workout but it's also sooo peaceful. A bunch of us girls would get together and pack a lunch and go skiing great fun!
We also used to go snowshoeing and that can be a great workout too. I miss being in CO because of all the outdoor things I used to do. In the Denver metro area (mountains too tho) there are some of the nations best bike paths and we used to do 20 mile rides 2-3 times a week. Tried rollerblading but my backside didn't appreciate THAT at all! LOL Not as active physically out here but plan on getting my bike back in shape for Christmas. Where have you skied?

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby scottie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:03 pm

I didn't mean to make it sound like I am an avid cross country buff. :? Actually, I've only done it once in Michigan. I didn't know that you had to go to a specific place to get your poles so I ended up making off with someone else's. She was waiting when we got back and the most embarrassing thing was, I broke one of them. :oops: I offered to pay for them, but she graciously declined.
scottie

Postby colopam » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Scottie
We learned to separate our skis (pair them up with a partners) to avoid mixups or theft, neither uncommon. I've heard that Michigan snow is heavier and more icy than CO snow (less humidity makes for drier and fluffier snow). No one told me that when you downhill ski on powder you have to sit further back on your skis than when skiing on packed powder, so my ex and I were the first tracks out up at Maryjane with about a foot of fresh powder, I had such a yard sale I was laughing so hard that I couldn't get up!! (yard sale=equipment and clothing flying everywhere!) another plus about x-country skiing (also nobody on the lifts laughing at you!). Can't tell you how many people got busted calling out from work to go skiing because of the telltale ski tan! I hope that if you ever get the chance that you can go to CO and do some of the outdoor sports there just sstay hydrated and use a good sunscreen!! Gee it really is time to get rid of my equipment down here, not much chance of using them here!
HUgs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby scottie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:06 am

I like that expression: yard sale. The only yard sale I have ever had in the winter was falling down on the ice. Oh, yes, years ago, one of my boys wanted me to sled down a small hill. So, to be a good sport, I got on the sled and was making my descent. However, he failed to tell me that there was this sort of bump toward the bottom of the slope, sort of like a snow ramp, and I didn't see it. Anyway, when I hit that bump, it sort of catapulted me, which gave everyone a good laugh. I laughed, too, since I wasn't hurt. Little stinker! :D
scottie

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause