Memory problems

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Memory problems

Postby mickie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:13 pm

I feel like I'm loosing my mind.. I seem to forget SO many things.. things that I should remember.... and yet I retain the most STUPID stuff... (celebrity info? i should be in a trivial pursuit compition somewhere) My husband of one year has a VERY difficult time believing me when I say.. "i don't remember". I have explained that my dearly deceased husband, whom I was with for 10 years... (when in my 30's).. finally gave up on trying to figure my brain out. Is it just me?? I'm in truly insane? Why can I recall that it was the Cowsills who sang "Hair".. but I can't for the life of me recall WHY I changed my personal profile on yahoo to contain NO information whatsoever?????? (torked him off when he checked in.. and saw that I was "no longer married") I'm new here.. so give it to me straight girls... is it gonna get better???
mickie

Postby minniepauz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi Mickie....as long as you are remembering SOMETHING, don't worry, you're just like the rest of us! :) Stressing out over forgetting things doesn't help either, so try to lighten up a bit, give yourself a break and read everything you can on menopause and memory.

You didn't mention your age so it's hard to determine if you're just way too young for all this or if it's right on schedule, but it's almost always got to do with hormones. If you take a look at all the cartoons I've done on memory, you'll start feeling right at home and when we laugh about this stuff, it really seems to diminish in importance! (you have to sign up for the newsletter to get to the cartoon archives)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Welcome Mickie!
You'll find some good info and great friendship here. Just peruse the board and the site, you'll probably find yourself described in these "pages". My DH (always the big tease) said "this perimenopause thing could be fun!" But he's really supportive and if we can't laugh sometimes we'll cry BUT sometimes we laugh so HARD we cry, that's the BEST! At my last work place I carried around my "memory" on a clipboard with the note saying "If you find me please return to Pam as she gets too many things going on and loses me!" I still have one of those clipboards floating around someplace!!! HMMMM I still sometimes wonder what happened to that thing. Anyway hope to be "seeing" you around the boards.
HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby scottie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:51 am

Mickie, you really made me laugh with this one:

Why can I recall that it was the Cowsills who sang "Hair"...

I, too, can remember some "important" facts like this, but my mind leaks when it comes to remembering what I was going to say or why I went downstairs. Sad, but true.
scottie

Postby minniepauz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:31 am

I just had an idea! God help us!! I'm thinking maybe there's a way for us to help each other remember important things....here's how it will work.

I'll create a thread called "Help Me Remember". We can each start a section under that one called (using your own name of course): Minnie's Reminders..... then we will post important things that we want to be reminded of and the rest of us will post a few days before and we'll get a reminder in the email (as long as you get emails when someone responds to your thread--if you don't, let me know here and I'll explain how to do it)

This is just for fun of course, unless it really does help!!! :) Let me know what you think, ok? I'm going to go set it up now....
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby DayDreamer » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:43 pm

Great idea Dee :D
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Postby mickie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Thanks for your input ladies... helps to know I'm NOT alone. I turned ..ummm (gets out the calculator).. 47 this year. Retaining trivial things like.. how much is in the checkbook, even though I just made out the bills yesterday, has always been a problem for me. In the last year or two however, things have gotten progressively "more interesting". I can't blame my new husband in thinking I'm simply copping out on answering him, when all I can come up with is "I don't know.. I don't remember". I guess it would frustrate me too. I refuse to start making things up, however, just to have an answer for him. We try to laugh about this for the most part... I tell him I've been subject to TOO much "PAM" spray type products... things just don't stick in my brain anymore, they slide right on thru :oops: The interesting part is when they go whizzing by at the most random moments.. when I'm not thinking about anything in particular.. and only about ohhh... 8 months too late!!! Hard to impress anybody by knowing the thing that keeps rythym for a student on a piano is a metronome in the middle of the night months after the question came up :roll: I definately think being widowed 3 years ago had a noticeable impact in my thought pattern.. and approaching the big "M" has put a dent in it too. I TRIED to tell my new husband, before we got married last year...what he might be in for.. and bless his heart.. he still loves me. It just feels awful however, for him to think I'm not telling him the truth.. when in fact.. I plain and simple, just don't recall. Have any of you had to deal with this?.. and if so...how do you get thru to the ones who love you.. when they are looking at you with some very raised eyebrows?? Dee.. I like your idea about trying to remind each other... could definately be a New Year goal for me. Until then.. maybe I should just invest in a LARGE stock of post-it notes :cry:
mickie

Postby minniepauz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:49 pm

Here's a page I made just for the guys so they can get into what's going on: http://www.minniepauz.com/male-menopause.html There's plenty of resources for the guys here.:)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause