Can't gain weight

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Can't gain weight

Postby DCook819 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:46 am

I know from reading a lot of posts on the previous board that many women have trouble with weight gain during this time. I have another problem....I can't gain weight.

Up until 1999 I weighed 167 pounds at 5"4. I struggled with diets that never lasted so I finally gave up. I had been married for 28 yrs when my hb died very suddenly. I stopped eating, stopped sleeping. I would nap and nibble as I tried to cope and face an unknown future. By the time life leveled out for me, I had lost 56 pounds. I have to struggle to stay at my current weight. I have been on the depo shot for 3 years now and haven't gained and I eat constantly. The left side of my thyroid and the parathyroid glans were removed due to cancer in late 2000 but all tests since then have shown that my levels are normal. I have discussed this with my doctor and they say don't worry about it...my weight is fine. But I don't feel fine. The only mineral she has recommended is calcium. I want to weigh about ten pounds or so more. I know physically I will feel better.

Would a multivitamin help me? This is a serious issue for me.
DCook819

Re: Can't gain weight

Postby Zero » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:33 pm

DCook819 wrote:I know from reading a lot of posts on the previous board that many women have trouble with weight gain during this time. I have another problem....I can't gain weight.

Would a multivitamin help me? This is a serious issue for me.

I know a lot of people say they wish they had your problem, but I'm sure if you're struggling with it, it's no fun. It irritates me when doctors still tell us "don't worry", like you're a little kid and they know what's best for you. You should continue to trust your feelings about your body and stay in control of your health.

Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist instead of a medical doctor so that you can get your body in balance and find what kind of foods/vitamins and minerals will give you the healthy results you want. I would think the stress of all that has happened in your life is responsible for your inability to gain the weight you instinctively know you need.

Let us know how you're doing!
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause