Migraines

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Migraines

Postby februarygirl » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:03 pm

Anyone begin to have migraines during menopause? I never had migraines and the past year I started with facial numbness, tingling in hands and feet. My neuro told me it was auras - then bam! I am starting to get the migraines... this wicked...hot flashes, pvcs, moodiness- the whole list and now migraines.

Sorry I am menopausing today! I could cry I feel like my body is spinning out of control and I really don't know anymore where to turn.

Nancy
februarygirl
On Fire!

Postby anonymous22 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:16 pm

Hi Nancy,
Migraines are a common sign of menopause. Please check into the use of progesterone cream. It is great for balancing hormones during pre menopause and menopause. It can help with your migraines.

you can get info at
http://www.johnleemd.com
http://www.npan.com.au
anonymous22
On Fire!

Postby februarygirl » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:39 pm

Thank you Becky. For the past three weeks I have been using progestrone cream - so I will continue to use it and maybe up the dosage a little.

Thank you for the information.

I really appreciate it!

Nancy
februarygirl
On Fire!

Postby anonymous22 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:59 pm

Hi Nancy,
What kind of progesterone cream are you using? Are you having any relief at all? I use compounded cream and it does not contain any other herbs or hormones. If you let me know what you bought I can look it up and find out what is in it. If I am getting a headache and apply some cream I will get some relief in a half hour or so...if it's a hormonal migraine.
Let me have a look at your cream
anonymous22
On Fire!

Postby februarygirl » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks Becky - the name of it is FemGest Progestrone Cream.

Nancy
februarygirl
On Fire!

Postby anonymous22 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:45 am

Nancy,
I am familiar with FemGest and this product does not contain any phyto estrogens.. Are you getting any relief from it at all? And how many mg of progesterone are you getting from it each day?
anonymous22
On Fire!

Re: Headaches

Postby wavecrested » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:53 pm

I have been getting headaches for about a year. I usually wake up with one and take two or four non-aspirin tablets (acetametaphin - sp?) before work. Today, however the headache was so bad and persisted so long so I went to the library and took out a book on Women's Pain's and THEN WENT ON THE INTERNET TO LOOK UP MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS!! :( I was shocked to discoverd a forum for this topic! I just wanted to know if headaches are because of drops in estrogen or is it something "more serious" ... I don't want to go to the dr. unless I HAVE to... I occasionally take black cohosh, but usually forget to take it... Anyone else have headaches and have they 'cured' them? Thanks a million! :D :wink:
wavecrested

YES, HEADACHES!!

Postby wavecrested » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:43 pm

Hello, Ladies!!! I just discovered this message board about Menopauz, and I am so happy I did!! I LOVE chatting with other women about things that concern US (for once in our lives...) :D I too, have been getting headaches for about a year. I usually wake up with one and get them on and off, all day. Today it was so bad, and persisted all day, and this time I felt a tiny bit nauseous (new symptom, lovely...) so I was more concerned than normal. I just wanted to know if this is normal during menopauz (headaches) or something to be concerned about? Thanks![/u]
wavecrested

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:52 pm

Welcome to the board! Glad you found us! :)

Headaches do seem to be normal during menopause and certainly related to hormones! Here's a great site for information on all kinds of headaches:

http://www.achenet.org/women/menopause/

Again, we're glad you're here!
Zero

Postby anonymous22 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:53 pm

Wavecrested,
Headaches and Nausea are generally signs that you have too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. This might mean a normal estrogen level but a low progesterone level.

Supplementing with progesterone cream can help. Check out the website http://www.johnleemd.com

hugs to you
anonymous22
On Fire!

Postby purple haze » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:53 pm

Hi, I've had headaches since forever. My first ones started at age 17 when I was pregnat with my 1st. I have had them when stressed and with PMS. I don't have PMS anymore and I'm still get them. I find it helps if I sleep or relax (LOL) in the dark, stressing over them just make it worse. Make sense? Anyway I hope you find something to help you. Edlyn
purple is my color,
a hippie mama to a hippie mama
granny nanny to 4
purple haze
One HOT Woman!

Postby februarygirl » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:32 am

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about the headaches. I have been using about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon two times a day of the progrestrone cream. I have been using it about 16 days now. Funny though, since I have been using it my headaches have gotten worse. I am thinking maybe I woke up the estrogen and soon I will get some balance (does that make sense lol)

Aaah! Menopause - what a wonderful time in my life! LOL

Nancy
februarygirl
On Fire!

Postby Zero » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:40 am

februarygirl....how did your experiment with progesterone cream turn out? Is it something you've continued to use or of no benefit to you? We're all so different and I've mostly heard good things from women who have had hysterectomies and use the progesterone cream.

Here's some additional info about migraines from Dr. Weil's newsletter:

Butterbur for Migraine Prevention
Here's good news for people with migraines: a new study indicates that the herb butterbur (Petasites hybridus) works as well as some prescription drugs to prevent headaches.

Dr. Weil also says: When buying butterbur, choose extracts guaranteed to be free of pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) that are toxic to the liver. The supplement should be taken with meals.

But THEN when I started doing some research on butterbur, I found this:
"Natural petasites (butterbur) contains highly toxic alkaloids that are known to seriously damage the liver and to cause cancer. They have also been associated with potentially fatal blood clots and with chronic scarring of the lung. Even small traces of these alkaloids are considered quite dangerous. Some commercial preparations are available where these alkaloids have been removed. They may work as well as the natural product, but we do not know. Nevertheless, butterbur in any form should not be used by women who are pregnant or who are nursing - all the more so in countries like the United States where herbs and supplements are not well-regulated." Read more: http://www.drgreene.com/21_924.html

It's sure hard to know what is safe to take, isn't it? This is the process I go through in trying to find answers to helping with problems women are having during all the changes we're going through. My next step will be to question Dr. Weil (through his website) and also ask Susun Weed (http://www.susunweed.com) her opinion.

It's a lot of work, but since we can't rely on only one source (doctor or not), and as convincing as the advertisements are for new drugs, herbs and supplements, we HAVE to do our research and then help each other by sharing our findings. I would ask any of you who do this kind of research to post what you've found about any of the topics on this board. I really could use the help! :)
Zero

Postby Zetti » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:31 pm

I had the opposite good fortune, peri meno seems to have *cured* my migraines which were hormonal. Not every mo, but more than half, I'd have a migraine at the very tail end of my period, ugh a whole adult lifetime before I even figured out what they were and got meds

I've been trying hard to convince my doc that I am going meno (he thinks I've got 5 yrs or so left, ack) and he acknowldeged that the decreasing hormonal migraines are a signal of shifting hormones.

Ugh, you poor thing just starting on them now!

There is a new med, something that goes under your tongue that I've heard people say works for them.

I have taken calcium supplements for yrs, recently switched to one that also has magnesium b/c I heard it can help w/migraines too.

Knock on wood, so far so good, no migraines for quite a few mos now.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Re: Migraines

Postby ca4765 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:58 pm

Hi, I am surgically menopausal and have recently started using a the drug Topomax to help control my migraines...and I can't tell you how great it works!!! I have maybe 1 or 2 a month instead of almost daily... :) It also has helped alleviate some of my menopause symptoms...like the hot flashes and mood swings, it also promotes weight loss. I have started feeling like my old self again, thanks to this medicine. It's a seizure drug that was approved about a year ago for migraine treatment.

You may want to check into it.
Thanks,
ca4765
ca4765

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Menopause