come a little closer so I can rip your head off

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

come a little closer so I can rip your head off

Postby julielo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:13 am

OK- maybe the title is a bit strong, but I'm truly going out of my mind. I just turned 43 and have been post menopause for about 2 years. I take activella (spelling) herbs and vitamins. I also take wellbutrin 3 times a day. Ya I kinda rattle when I walk. HA. I'm fatter than I've ever been in my life. For the past 2 years I only drink a soy protein shake in the morning, have cottage cheese or soup for lunch and normal dinner....I've gained 20 pounds. Yes I'm serious. For the last 2 month I've change my lunch to a slim fast drink. Haven't lost a pound. My hair has recently started falling out to the point where people have noticed. (weird thing is it's falling out pretty much only in the back which is exactly where it fell out when I had cancer 22 years ago)My libido is basically non exsistant and I have huge crying spells, but most of the time want to rip someones head off. Bottom line is I am absolutely miserable. I want this all to stop so I can be normal again. My husband is wonderful, beautiful home, well behaved kids, love my job, so what the heck is wrong with me? Honestly I have days that I just can't take it anymore. My thyroid meds have been increased over a month ago but still no relief. Am I clinically depressed? HHmm considering all the above, I'm thinking yes probably. I know my body well and I know there has to be some chemical inbalance or something like that. Not just hormone imbalance. I have no one to really talk to because I'm 10 years too early. I think some of this has to do with my age. No offense to those of you who are post at the normal time, but putting on weight and having a lower sex drive at 53, I probably wouldn't care so much. At 43, I care!! I've been researching adrenal and pituitary gland stuff and wondering if anyone has had tests for problems there. I know my cancer treatment caused my kidney to atrophy so I'm wondering if the same could have happend to my adrenal gland. Any info on this would be helpful. I'll also ask Dr. Judy, w/o all the venting. Sorry to go on so much, but today has been the worst. I cried for 3 hours and felt completely hopeless. Thanks for "listening".
prayer works better than you might think!!
julielo
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:54 am

juliolo!!!
Good Morning!!
43 isn't too early to be postmeno, I do believe our own Dee was around there. Have you had a full check up with a Dr. you can talk too? Have they checked your thyroid? Alot of the symptoms you've mentioned occur from hypothyroidism. There's a good website "About Thyroid" that has great info including how to find a good endo in your area. Yeah this could all be hormonal just different hormones. You've come to a great place with wonderful information and great humor, soft shoulders and forgivinging ears (ok eyes! LOL). Check out the site as well as the other posts, using the search feature at the top of the page makes for easy browsing on a particular subject, and join in wherever/whenever you feel like. I think you'll find you're not alone! Hugs!! Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am

Hang in there julielo!! What you're experiencing is resonating through so many women! Some of them have it worse, some have it better, but it just doesn't help YOU feel better when so much is going on at the same time. I would say focus on this part of your life "My husband is wonderful, beautiful home, well behaved kids, love my job" and keep telling yourself "this will pass" because it will, I promise!! The only thing I can't promise is how LONG it will take!!

Our thoughts are so powerful and I believe positive thinking will help get us through the worst of this transition, no matter what our age is. It sounds kind of loopy, but I've proven it to myself so many times that I can't help but encourage others to use it. We ARE what we THINK, so whether it's our profession or our health, if we THINK positive thoughts (I repeat affirmations) our bodies will respond with positive results.

Before I get too weird here, I'm sure Dr. Judy will have some thoughts for you to consider also. It does sound like you've got good medical care and that they are working with you to manage what is going on. If they're not, then you have the right to demand some help in controlling your symptoms. I was on anti-depressants for 5 years and totally believe there IS such a thing as a chemical imbalance, so definitely pursue your options in that area too. The main thing is that you are in control and must take an active part in getting things back into balance, so just keep insisting on getting what you need whether it's hormonal, chemical or thyroid related.

Here's a good page with some resources: http://www.minniepauz.com/self-improvem ... tions.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby DaMomma » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 am

Julielo,

Huney, theres is more to peri/meno that just the changing of the estrogen, testrone, and progestrone hormones.

When we are aging...and just like in puberty..theres an adjustment of the hormones THROUGHOUT the whole body. There are over 40 different hormones in our bodies!

Here they are...

Our bodies need all the following to function properly, any one of these off balance, can wreck havoc on us!

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)
Luteinizing hormone (LH)
Prolactin (PRL)
Growth hormone (GH)
Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)
Antidiuretic hormone (ADH)(vasopressin)
Oxytocin
Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH)
Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)
Growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH)
Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH)
Somatostatin
Dopamine
Melatonin
Thyroxine (T4)
Calcitonin
Parathyroid hormone (PTH)
Glucocorticoids (e.g., cortisol)
Mineralocorticoids (e.g., aldosterone)
Androgens (e.g., testosterone)
Adrenaline (epinephrine)
Noradrenaline (norepinephrine)
Estrogens (e.g., estradiol)
Progesterone
Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG)
Androgens (e.g., testosterone)
Insulin
Glucagon
Somatostatin
Amylin
Erythropoietin (EPO)
Calcitriol
Calciferol (vitamin D3)
Atrial-natriuretic peptide (ANP)
Gastrin
Secretin
Cholecystokinin (CCK)
Somatostatin
Neuropeptide Y
Ghrelin
PYY3-36
Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)
Angiotensinogen
Thrombopoietin
Leptin
Retinol Binding Protein 4
Adiponectin

So, take this in consideration Huney, and breathe deeper! You are not alone...keep coming here with struggles, questions, or just input....theres alot of us that have been going the same Girl!! Hugs to you!
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby greenie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Julie,

I think your decision to eat less might be making the weight gain (and perhaps other symptoms?) worse. If you don't eat enough at breakfast and lunch, your body will think you are starving and will slow down your metabolism. And what happens when our metabolism slows down? We gain weight!

Maybe you could talk to a nutritionist or dietitian? They could help you figure out how many calories you need at each meal, and during the day total, to get the nutrition you need and to get your metabolism going again. Just a suggestion. :wink:
greenie

Postby DaMomma » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:44 pm

A very WISE suggestion at that too Greenie :)
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby julielo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:14 am

I agree about how not eating can make weight gain worse. It's just I have unusual stomach problems so I can't really eat alot and most of the time solid food makes things worse. I agree I need to see a nutritionist though, I've got to get some relief. Maybe a naturalpath too. I just got the name of one who works with women who have PMS, so I'm thinking she can help. I'll let you know
prayer works better than you might think!!
julielo
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause