I'm not sure what to do

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

I'm not sure what to do

Postby Snooks » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Went for my physical today and while I'm in pretty good shape, we discussed my menopause symptoms and how bad they are getting. My doctor has said she will prescripe hrt if that is something I want to go with but there is so much different opinions on it I just don't know where to go.
I really trust my doctor and value her opinion but she has said (again and again) that it is MY decision.
What do others think of HRT, did it help, do you think its safe?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
Snooks

HRTs or not HRTs? That is the question...

Postby DaMomma » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:37 pm

Snooks,

hi ya there..I will share with you my experience and what knowledge I have about Premarin...

I was on it for 3 years. (It has been 7 mos now That I have been completely off of them..I weaned myself with my dr.'s approval)

I was seein a different Dr. at the time, (and was livin in another location and had to use this clinic and dr...which I appreciated!! :) )but I was needing anything!!!

Anyhoo, I had went to my regular Dr, for my check up and my symptoms were coming on stronger again...She then informed me that...#1. I could have the dosage upped , #2. That I would have to be on it the remainder of my life if I do NOT want to have symptoms, and #3..that HRTs just more or less puts Menopause in hybernation and that if I quit taking the HRT, I would be hit with the symptoms and go thru the inevitable at that age.!

I decided that I did NOT in no way NOR form wanted to go thru all this when I was 65-70 years old! :shock:

Also Premarin is actually made from pregnant mares urine. These mares are kept in confinement with bags attached to them to collect the urine. They (mares) are not allowed to roam outside nor with other horses for that , they may rip off the bag......The foals when they are born are usually deformed and end up being destroyed because of their Moms not getting the proper exercise...Eventually the mares are put down too after several pregnancies because of their treatment... :( :x

This is of course a personal decision, and I know..believe me!!! I KNOW how whacked out, insane, & intense all these symptom can effect a woman.

I can honestly say that if I hadnt had been on them just for those 3 years, I dont know what would of happened to me. I had lost 13 members of my family within 15 mos, plus so many more, major life crisis durin that duration.

I do know there are some gals on here that are not taking any HRTs nor even Bio-HRTs...Chuckles and lolli are two ...Im sure that they would not mind you asking them, even in a PM...but again this is a personal choice. What may help or work for one mayNot for another. You only know what you can handle hun... :wink:
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby Chuckles » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:08 am

Snooks,

I've never taken HRT of any kind so I can't say one way or the other what it does or doesn't do. At the age of 38 I mentioned to my Gyn that I was having night sweats along with a few other symptoms. She wanted to put me on HRT right away. That was 11 years ago before the big "OMG, don't take that stuff" study came out. I have no idea what it does to you...I'm one those who don't even take an aspirin if I don't have to. But I will give you my OPINION on it. Anything that messes with our natural hormones, I wouldn't touch. I believe it is a matter of timing to get the hormones to settle down. And it is different with each woman. I agree with DaMomma also....HRT just postpones the symptoms. But, I realize a "quality of life" issue comes into play. I would certainly not look down on anyone who decided to take them. It is such a personal choice. A few years ago I almost broke down and took them myself. But I will say if you can muddle through and NOT take them, it would probably be the best thing. Again, this is just MY OPINION. I do believe that once our bodies feel comfortable with the lower hormone levels all our symptoms will disappear or we will not feel as bad as we did in peri. I have noticed a big difference. I still have bad days....I'm still perimenopausal. But I have good days when I feel normal and energetic. I know the hormones are just trying to settle down and my body is getting used to it. I have a couple of friends who are in their 60's who have never taken anything. The energy and the zest they have now amazes me. They haven't had periods for years. Again, that just reinforces my opinion on it. If you can wait it out, it gets better. If not, that's OK too. It's a very personal choice.
This little trip has been a hoot!!!!
Chuckles
On Fire!

Re: I'm not sure what to do

Postby minniepauz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:15 am

Snooks wrote:Went for my physical today and while I'm in pretty good shape, we discussed my menopause symptoms and how bad they are getting. My doctor has said she will prescripe hrt if that is something I want to go with but there is so much different opinions on it I just don't know where to go.
I really trust my doctor and value her opinion but she has said (again and again) that it is MY decision.
What do others think of HRT, did it help, do you think its safe?

Here's one of the latest reports on hrt. We still have to make that personal decision and it's still pretty confusing, but if your symptoms are bad enough and you take the lowest dosage for the shortest amount of time, it might be worth it for you.

CHICAGO - Four years after federal researchers scared millions of women off hormone therapy with a study showing it was bad for their health, they backtracked Monday, saying new data suggest there is a window of opportunity in which estrogen is beneficial.
Estrogen is heart-healthy if women start taking it at or around menopause - precisely the time most women need it to relieve their hot flashes, the researchers reported in the latest paper from the Women’s Health Initiative, a huge, government-funded study.

The hormone was found to be harmful only for women who wait until after 60, when they probably have some incipient cardiovascular disease already. Read the full report here: http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/0216 ... /88136.htm

I'm still suspicious about how much the pharmaceutical companies (in particular, Wyeth) are influencing these reports, but that's just my opinion. Can you talk to your doc about maybe trying progesterone cream?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Snooks » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:39 pm

I'm still sitting on the fence, although the most disturbing thought is how the mares are treated during the process of collection. Being involved in animal rescue, it made my heart gone thump.
We discussed the length of time I could take this (max 5 yrs) and if its something I want to explore. I guess I will just sit on the fence a little longer and see how it goes.
I am once again in one of those stretches of hugh mood swings, flashes all day long, etc. Even my dogs go running when I come home these days :shock:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
Snooks

Postby scottie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:03 pm

I was talking to a lady in the store and she told me that she had been on the patch for 10 years. :shock: She said if she tries to go off of it, after a week she is having flashes, mood swings, etc. I know she leads a stressful life, but this also makes me wonder if HRT doesn't somehow just put a hold on everything. Could it be that it just delays the inevitable? I was on HRT for several years and have been off for around 6 months. I would really like to avoid going back on, but these herbals aren't agreeing with me.
scottie

Postby minniepauz » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:30 am

scottie wrote:I was talking to a lady in the store and she told me that she had been on the patch for 10 years. :shock: She said if she tries to go off of it, after a week she is having flashes, mood swings, etc. I know she leads a stressful life, but this also makes me wonder if HRT doesn't somehow just put a hold on everything. Could it be that it just delays the inevitable? I was on HRT for several years and have been off for around 6 months. I would really like to avoid going back on, but these herbals aren't agreeing with me.

Scottie...what herbals are you using and how are you feeling?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause