Nasty hot flashes! Gah!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Nasty hot flashes! Gah!

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:10 am

My hot flashes are usually just slightly aggrivating. I get hot, it comes up from my chest and moves up, till I'm sweating, then I get clammy and chilled and life goes on. My usual hot flashes don't normally make me stop my activity to deal with it.

Well, in July, I had this massive hot flash while on an airplane coming back from a dream vacation. I thought I was going to vomit, waves of nausea, I was drenched in sweat, dizzy, my hears were buzzing so loud I couldn't hear anything else. I had to wake up the two women between me and the aisle so I could go to the restroom.

Two weeks ago, my son broke his arm. He's in tae kwon do and he's 14. He's a second-degree black belt and now an assistant instructor. So, we've started dropping him off and coming back (he goes in at four, gets done after 8 PM). After all, assistant teacher, he doesn't want his mommy sitting there. Anyway, I'd taken my pain meds at six, like normal, at six-thirty, they called to tell us of the accident. Two hours later, in the x-ray room, in full-blown Vicodin buzz and my adreline finally settled down, I had another scary one. The whole thing- the nausea, buzzing, dizzy. The x-ray tech thought I was going to pass out! After about ten minutes and completely soaked in sweat, I was weak, but okay. (my son is okay- he has a full cast, three pins in one of the broken bones and his doctor says everything is going along beautifully- expects a full recovery.)

Yesterday, I slipped on the ice and tore up my knee (fourth time in 18 years, I had surgery on it 8 years ago). I didn't break anything, its all ligament damage (again). Anyway, I was in the shower, which wasn't fun trying to get in and out of alone (my husband is disabled and can't help when it comes to balance and support). I stepped out- well, I managed to get out (lol) and boom! Another psycho-hot flash hit me. I sat in the bathroom for ten minutes, again, soaked in sweat and nauseated.

When it was over, I was exhausted. Hot flashes aren't fun... plus I'm in pain and on crutches.

Thanks for reading, I just sort of wanted to b*tch out loud to someone(s) who understands.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby DayDreamer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:44 pm

OMG those flashes must be worrying! Have you noticed they are worse when your blood sugar plummets due to a)stressful situations b)a long time between eating c) or unduly low blood sugar swing a short while after having a high sugar(or refined carbs) intake swing.

I was just wondering because the symptoms you are describing, my HUSBAND gets!

After numerous trips to the docs (discounting any other causes). It was put down to hypoglycemic "episodes" :shock:

Just a thought. It may help................Mind you, I wouldn't like to tell my husband "have you wondered whether you're having hot flashes"...LOL

I hope you also get better soon with your knee. You're really going through the mill :(

Take care.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:09 pm

I hadn't thought about it too much, but the time periods of it happening were hours after I'd eaten (low sugar, I would suppose). I'll pay more attention and add that to my list of stuff for my doctor. :)

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:44 pm

Hang in there Girl and STEP GINGERLY!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:24 am

I'm such a mess these days. lol

I do think that the low-blood sugar might have something to do with it- I've been careful this week, eating a little something when I feel hungry and I haven't had another killer hot flash yet- just the regular ones and of course, the ever-so-lovely night sweats.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby Joe Friday » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:27 am

:? I get these things, too. For quite a while I thot it had to do with meno, but the more I paid attention, it seems that it has more to do with low blood sugar, which I tend to be. Also, get the sweats, anxiety, high bp when blood sugar is dropping too fast or rising too fast. I am driving myself nuts monitoring my blood sugar (fingers are just so sore) and taking my bp. I can feel anxious like I am going to jump out of my skin with my bp in the 140's/90's. Then I will eat something and everything goes back down to normal, blood sugar and blood pressure. Siigghhhh!!! :oops:
Joe Friday with just the facts!
labs say post meno but still on the rollercoaster ride/artist-writer/born 1948/grandmother
Joe Friday

Postby Galoutofdixie » Mon May 15, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi there,

I just had to reply to this thread because this has happened to me too and I know how scary this is. It happened to me in the grocery store and just had to sit down on the floor until it passed. So embarrasing. The sweat just dripping off and the severe nausea. Thought I was going to upchuck in the ilse. :oops:

Anyway, went to the doctor and it was because I was very low in both magnesium and potassium.

I take a diuretic for slightly high BP and also follow a lowcarb diet, which also acts as a diruetic. I was using a salt substitute because they are made with Potassium thinking that would be enough to make up for what I was loosing due to the diruetic. I was wrong.

Doc. prescribed prescription potassium and otc magnesium. I'm feeling so much better. Thank goodness.

Next doctor visit, have you Doc, check out your electrolytes. It's dangerous to have them, especially your potassium out of wack. Don't try and replace potassium with OTC med, because to much or too little can be dangerous. Always have your doc. check the levels.

Hope you're feeling better soon. {hugs}

Regards,
Chris :)
Chris
I live in Louisiana
Birth year/1952
Almost Postmeno

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world." ~unknown~ Image
Galoutofdixie
On Fire!

Postby psexypsychic » Mon May 15, 2006 1:35 pm

I take a diuretic too- for edema (and it helps my BP more than the doc expected). I've had my potassium checked the last visit and its fine.

I've kept track of myself and I don't do anything very strenuous on an empty stomach, that seems to have helped. Now I'm back to the regular hot flashes... which in comparison, aren't so bad. ;)

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby Galoutofdixie » Mon May 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi again, :)

So glad to hear the doc. has checked your potassium and that you are feeling better. 8)

I could so totally relate to your experience, that I was worried for you. At the time that this happend to me, I wasn't having the meno hot flashes yet. This occured last July. I wasn't doing anything strenuous, just strolling down the isle in the grocery store. LOL! I thought maybe I was having a silent heart attack or something. I wasn't having any chest pain, just the horrible sudden nausea and profuse sweating. It happened one more time after that, but I was at home, thank goodness. It scared my husband to death, as he said my face turned white and then grey. :shock:

Now I'm having the regular meno. hot flashes and you are right. They don't seem so bad by comparison. LOL! I do feel like a big sweatball most of the time now though. :lol: I'm going to the doc. tomorrow to see about starting some kind of HRT. I'm sweating in odd places I think. It's not so much in the upper body like I hear about, but all the way from under my breasts to right down my butt and the back of my legs. It makes me look like I've pee'd my pants. :shock: Been making sure that I wear dark pants in public so no one can see. :oops:

Glad you are feeling better. :D

Toodles,
Chris
Chris
I live in Louisiana
Birth year/1952
Almost Postmeno

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world." ~unknown~ Image
Galoutofdixie
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause