New here and just had a "duh" moment...

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

New here and just had a "duh" moment...

Postby lenswyf » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:45 am

I am 47 years old, and I have been attributing irregularities in my menstrual cycles to peri-menopause. Thinking I'm up on all this. Well, today, it occurred to me that all the other "issues" of my life these days may be related.

When I was trying to get pregnant with my first child, I was diagnosed as having a luteal phase defect, which is a progesterone issue. Do you think that I am more likely to have progesterone issues in menopause because of that? I'm thinking I should just go ahead and start with a progesterone cream. It seems like the symptoms it's supposed to correct are the main ones I'm experiencing.

Thanks!
lenswyf

Early perimenopause is a progesterone issue

Postby drjudy » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:27 am

I always think of the TJ Maxx slogan "never the same place twice" when I think of perimenopause. This phase is defined by irregular ovarian function and one of the first things to go is ovulation. No ovulation means no progesterone so often this event is marked by the unpleasant symptoms of too much estrogen--tender breasts, stuffed-sausage-about-to-split-skin feeling, shorter cycles, and heavier, clumpier, bleeding. Progesterone cream can be very helpful to balance this nonsense out. I do find the prescription stronger stuff works better than milder over the counter brands.

Later in perimenopause (never the same place twice), estrogen starts to dwindle and I've not had much success using just progesterone for myself or other women who are symptomatic with that, including hot flashes, sleep disturbances, mood swings (depression and anxiety), and joint aches. I don't think your pregnancy experience would have anything to do with the adventure that is unfolding for you now.

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane."
Jimmy Buffett (anticipating menopause?)

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby lenswyf » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:56 pm

Thanks for the response. It sounds like I'm probably in earlier perimenopause. I have the shorter cycles and heavier, clumpier periods, but not the breast tenderness or bloating (unless random weight gain counts). I'll have to ask my gyn about a cream if the prescriptions work better.

Thanks again!
lenswyf

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause