Estrogen Dominance & High Blood Pressure

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Estrogen Dominance & High Blood Pressure

Postby kar4242 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:43 am

In researching about hormones and high blood pressure (which I was recently diagnosed with) I found the following regarding the effects of Estrogen Dominance:

Water logging of the cells and an increase in intercellular sodium, which predispose a woman to high blood pressure or hypertension, frequently occur with estrogen dominance. These can also be side effects of taking synthetic progestogen [progestins]. A natural progesterone cream usually clears it up.

I also found the following:

Hypertension (high blood pressure) has many causes. Estrogen dominance is one of them. Excess estrogen negatively affects cell membranes by allowing an influx of sodium and water and a loss of potassium and magnesium. The result is hypertension.

Extensive studies done by (I didn't put name - not sure if it's allowed) brought him to the conclusion that estrogen dominance, and the use of oral contraceptive agents, were a major cause of hypertension in women. When the hormones are balanced with the supplementation of natural progesterone - blood pressure returns to normal.

If you are on diuretics or other anti-hypertension drugs and using progesterone, you should monitor your blood pressure. As your blood pressure comes under control you will need to reduce or eliminate the anti-hypertension drugs gradually, as needed, to prevent low blood pressure.

I printed out the info on this from several sites and made an appointment to see a gyno today to discuss this. Has anyone else ran across any information or had any experience with this at all?

Thanks.
Karen
kar4242
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:59 am

Karen
Fibroids also thrive in the estrogen dominant woman, one of the reasons that I had 2 very large ones removed but left the smaller ones is that I figure (hope) that where I am in peri- they won't grow to be the size of the other ones (they tend to shrink as estrogen depletes). Interesting post, thanks!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Estrogen Domiance and High Blood Pressure

Postby kar4242 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks Pam.

Well, I saw the gyno an she's recommending HRT for me. She said that the progesterone cream and the and bioidentical hormones are not FDA approved and don't recommend them. She was willing to write me a prescprition if I wanted it.

My gosh, I don't know what to do anymore about all of this. I can't tell what's the best treatment for myself :? Ugh
kar4242
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Kara4242

Check out this site, AND check out Dr. Lee's books on perimenopause and menopause ("What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About...."), they may help you make up your mind. There are many different ways to approach this time in our lives and one method won't work for all of us. It IS in our hands and we have to take responsibility for our own well-being. The time for someone else making these life decisions are a thing of the past for me and tho I may stumble sometimes I feel that overall I'm making the best decisiosns for me. Good luck and don't feel pressured into doing something you feel uncomfortable with.

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Estrogen Dominance and High Blood Pressure

Postby kar4242 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 pm

Pam,

Thanks for the kind words. I can use them right now. What site are you referring to in your post? I will check out Dr. Lee's book - have you read it? Some of the information I got about this topic was from his site I believe. I will double check that.

Thanks again.
Karen
kar4242
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:18 pm

Kara4242
Yes I get books on just about everything! LOL My books were the most cumbersome part of moving! And that was after leaving over 100 and a bookcase with a friend in CO for a lending library she was starting up!! I joke about having part of my ashes scattered over "Tattered Cover", THE MOST wonderful bookstore in Cherry Creek CO (4 stories!!!). The Minnie Pauz site has some wonderful info and one of the features on the message board is the search function at the top of the page, just click on it and put in the word or phrase you're interested in and the posts pertaining to it will pop up!! I ALWAYS research anything that's going on with me, I've been able to educate our pharmacists (where I work) on alot of info regarding thyroid medication secondary to researching about my hypothyroidism (great info on "About Thyroid.com"), I didn't feel comfortable with my Dr's insistance on me having a hysterectomy when my fibroids got huge , I wanted more options so I checked the web and researched some books and decided on a myomectomy (would have liked the UAE, uterine artery embolization, but since they grew fast and large the doc wanted a tissue sample for tests), my Dr. gave a big sigh when I went in for a colonoscopy following a diverticolitis attack, he preferred having people come in blindly not questioning. I come from a medical family and have a bit of medical training myself and I'M NOT STUPID like SOME of them prefer us to be.

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause