not sure what is going on, can someone advise?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

not sure what is going on, can someone advise?

Postby sandy06 » Fri May 12, 2006 11:47 pm

Hello>

I am new to this site, not sure where in the menopause chain of things I am, but am certainly somewhere, feeling like I am losing my mind, forgetful, confused, irritable, tearful.............phew the list goes on. I am a Canadian living in China, doctors here are not like back home and am loathe to go to one. Help??? I am assuming it is not just me, but hormonal goings on. All seemed to come on all of a sudden, but then I am in a new city, new job, new apartment, and new room mate....no wonder I am feeling confused. Please help.
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sat May 13, 2006 9:26 am

First of all, sandy.....welcome!! You are among friends and sisters here! :) Thank goodness for the internet, huh? :) Can you fill us in on your age and what exactly are you experiencing and why you feel it's menopause (or peri-menopause)?

Also tell us about how you came to live in China and other than the doctors (although, I've heard how great "chinese medicine" is!), how is it to be living there?

Are there other english speaking people for you to socialize with? We're here for you .... just need a little more info! Hang in there, you'll be fine!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby woman_mother_wife » Sat May 13, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi Cindy! I'm an American in Eastern Europe now, but we'll be moving to China next year! (which I'm not looking forward to....)

Maybe you can help me if you're up to it. It's really pretty important to me.

I take a menopause medication called Livial. It's available in many countries of the world and in most of Europe. I credit the stuff with saving my sanity and very nearly, my life. It is NOT approved in north America. This stuff is absolutely great, it really turned my menopaused messed life, right-side-up again.

I'm desperate to find out whether or not Livial is available in China. If you could let question percolate in the back of your head waiting for the moment of readiness--I'd really appreciate it. If I can't get it in China I'm going to have to bring at least a 2 year supply with me. And if I need to bring that much I'm going to need to start stashing it well in advance.

I know there are western dotors in China. If you're having menopause difficulties you should consider asking a doc about Livial. It works.

And keep in touch,I'm really interested in your experiences there. Where exactly are you?
woman_mother_wife
Hot Pauzer

fromChina

Postby sandy06 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:05 pm

HI:

Thanks for replying. I will turn 54 in October, my periods over the last year have been very sporadic and then I didn't have one for about 8 months, then to my surprise I had one in March of this year, lasted a week, although not heavy at all. Since that time, I have been experiencing what I can only describe as very bad PMS but with no break, especially the forgetfullness, confusion, mood swings. I have such a feeling of anger at times, then I just want to cry, and I get very hot and sweaty at night, but not sure if that is night sweats or just the weather here.........is there a way to really tell. I am not sure about Chinese Medicine, have seen a Traditional Chinese doctor before and was not that impressed. Shall have to see a doctor when I go back to Shanghai I think. Should I see a doctor do you think?

I have been in China for 3 and a half years, teaching English. I was in Shanghai where I had some contemporaries to talk to, but now I am in another city, where I don't know any women my age or at all in fact. I have only been here for 2 months, I do have a close friend that I live with, he is gay and we have been friends for a long time although he doesn't understand what is happening here, ha ha poor guy. Dealing with all this, new job, new city (where I can't speak or read the language) and feeling like I am feeling is a lot to deal with and I am not sure I am doing a very good job of it at all.
At times I just want to go home (canada), but don't have the funds and this job will enable me to save a lot (because I just started this job, I don't have savings as yet, but will in a few months).

Why I think it is menopause or perimenopause, well I am really not sure what it is, but the timing is right, I have always had a good memory, and have been able to handle most things that come my way, but now I am not sure if I can deal with anything at all. I should be happy, I make a great salary, China is cheap to live in, I have a great life here, I can travel, save, spend, whatever, in fact I have more money than I have had in a long, long time. Although to be honest, China is not the easiest country to live in, everything is a challenge, things that should be simple are not, I am dealing with young, chinese teachers that don't have a clue how to behave, they resent my presence (I make about 12 times the money they make, so can't blame them really), and all this is adding to my anger and frustration. I feel like I can't deal with the problems, or can't be bothered to deal with the problems and I feel so tired of it all.

Maybe some of this is menopause (or related) and some of this is the situation I am in, but if it is menopause or the onset, it is not helping me at the moment. By the way how long does this last, from what I have read this could last for years....oh my.

I think that about covers where I am at the moment, by the way, I am 13 hours ahead of Toronto, so not sure where you are, time wise.

Thanks so much, it feels good to get this off my chest.

Sandy[/img]
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

life in china

Postby sandy06 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:20 pm

Hello:

Shall certainly check here in China for Livial, although apparently Chinese women do not suffer menopause like western women, I may not be able to find it. Am keeping this short cos I am having problems sending messages on this site, getting an error. Let's see if this works. If so then I can tell you all about my experiences in China.......some great, some not so great.
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

so sorry

Postby sandy06 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:26 pm

I am so sorry for sending so many replies.........my computer told me message was not sent so I resent again and again. This is China so nothing is reliable at all. Well now I know.
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

thanks drjudy

Postby sandy06 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:34 pm

Well it is nice to know why I am feeling this way, but what to do? that is the big question. If I had the million dollar answer to the question of how long is this going to last, I could ride it out, but I don't. Ha ha that is why we are here right? By the way does memory come back? or is it always going to be like this?

Sandy
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Sun May 14, 2006 7:55 am

Sandy
Gotcha covered on the "accidental reposts" LOL

You've certainly got alot going on, I only moved from Colorado to Tennessee to Florida and tho they were all a variation of culture shock, you've taken it too a level far beyond that!! LOL!! Stress only adds to the "symptoms" and yes this can go on for years. Be sure to check with Doctor Judy as she is a wealth of info. Hopefully you can find a doc there that can help. You can come here ANYTIME and get our support, friendship and soft shoulders.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Wow thanks for the support

Postby sandy06 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:31 pm

I have had a good day and a half so far, things are looking up!!! I feel I should wear a sign that says "says "don't mess, menopausal", except the Chinese would not understand it, LOL.

I am trying to take things as they come, but living here is not that easy, the back of beyond actually, but the job is getting easier and I love my apartment, so things are not so bad. Will keep you all posted. Thanks Pam for the support.
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Tue May 16, 2006 9:29 am

Sandy
I had a bad bout with PMS (wrong BCP's), I'd cry when the traffic light turned red. A friend found a button for me that said it all!! "Premenstrual and armed!"

Post often and tell us about China, My DH was in the Air Force and went to 35 different countries, I would have loved that but his first wife didn't and wouldn't take advantage of some of the possibilities (ie living in Japan or Greece!!!) I guess a part of me really resents that she got this time in his life and I didn't!!! (whaaaa!) but I can always live vicariously until we can get some traveling in!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

China

Postby sandy06 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:45 am

I so look forward to turning on my computer these days, ever since I joined this site. Being new here I don't have anyone to talk to about anything so this is a nice treat for me.

Will write some things about China next time I visit, ha ha often these days, busy day today. Thanks for being there, Pam.

Sandy
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Wed May 17, 2006 6:47 am

Sandy, we're very glad you found us too. It's so interesting to hear about living in China!

In my 9 years of communicating with women about menopause, one of the most prominent treatments has been using Chinese herbs and acupuncture, so you might just be in the right place afterall. :)

I found some websites for you to get the Chinese perspective on the issue, which has always been much more respectful than the American medical community has had.

First I did a search for "chinese menopause" and "treating menopause with chinese medicine" and found lots of resources and information such as:

http://www.balfourhealing.com/menopause.html

I'm quite sure you have the embassy website, but I also did a search for "english speaking doctors in China" and found this page:
http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/h ... nyang.html

You might just be better off than most of us, Sandy!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

yeah to being in China

Postby sandy06 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:29 am

Thanks Dee, shall certainly check out the web sites you found, thank you for that. I shall keep you posted if I do the hedgehog/acupuncture thing.

There are many English speaking doctors in Shanghai, but Wuhan I am not so sure, have been told doctors here are not very good, but I am sure I can find a good Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor, if I get my friend to look for me. This I will do.

A quick Chinese story. When I started at this school, 6 weeks ago, it was all very strange. After a few days I went to see the administration department as I found myself needing pens, a notebook, scissors, stapler and some folders. So I asked the lady could I have some pens and a notebook, she looked at me rather blankly and said "no have", ok I thought to myself, try something else, so then I asked if I could have the other items (usual school supplies to my mind), again a blank look and another "no have", keeping the frustration and sarcasm out of my voice I asked ok do you have anything at all. At this point much to my surprise, she jumped out of her seat, from which I thought she was glued, ran over to the supply cupboard, turned around and handed me a roll of toilet paper. Apparently this is a must have on one's desk. No school supplies at all but we never run out of toilet paper....Yippee.

Thanks again for the info. Bye for now
Sandy
sandy06
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause