Sudden menopause after loosing a spouse

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Sudden menopause after loosing a spouse

Postby Venne » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:13 am

Hi there,

Does anyone recognize this: after loosing my spouse I stopped taking the pill. My doctor didn't aprove, but I somehow felt like doing it. By the way, I'm 47. Within a month I felt the change in my body and within 2 months the monthly bleeding had stopped. As did the migraine! And yes, I do have the irregular heartbeat, the hot flashes, the itchy skin (thanks for that list ever so much!!!!) the dizzy spells.....

Call me strange, but after my husband died it felt like a turning point in my life and I had the feeling this was going to happen. Of course the dear doctor tells me it's just my imagination.

Well, I no longer have the migraine I had for 30 years!
I don't miss those bleedings a bit.
Hot, well: apart from the red nose that only comes handy at Christmass I'm fine with that.
Just the dizzy spells make me worry, have to be very alert while driving. And that creepy crawly skin....

So, I'm fine with it.
Love this website.
Just wonder, am I a freak or has this occured to other women as well?

Drop me a line when you recognize my story.

Venne
Venne

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:13 am

venne....welcome to our world, girlfriend. :) You're well within the age range to start experiencing the symptoms of peri.... I always suggest that anyone with dizzy spells check that out with your doctor (maybe take him/her our list of symptoms found here http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html there's a printable page with room for notes too).

What a blessing for the migraines to be gone! I've never had them, but just knowing what a "sick headache" feels like, I can only imagine it being 100x worse!

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Was it very long ago or recently? I know you'll find lots of support around here and we're glad you found us! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 am

Welcome Venne!

You've found good company here, please check in often you'll find good info and great friends.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, do you have children? Work? Hobbies? We'd like to get to know you as you feel comfortable. Hopw to see yu around.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

reply from Venne

Postby Venne » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:49 am

Hi girls,

Thanks for the support.
Lost my husband in november 2005, doctor made a mistake....
Could file a complaint, but told him try to live with his conscience.
Haven't been to his office ever since, posted my questions to his assistent.

No kids, full time job as a schoolteacher.
Hobbies to last me 'till I'm a 180 years old!
I'm getting used to be alone, after having been together for 22 years.

My pupils do notice my red hot head! But they beat up kids from other groups if they make fun of it. Sure, I tell them not to fight! But they kind of take care of me.

Forgive me my strange use of words from time to time, I'm Dutch and English is my 2nd language.

The thing I dislike most is the dryness of my skin, esspecially at the edges of my hair. But nevertheless: it still is a big blessing to be rid of those headaches!

So how to move on and stay as young as I can? I take vitamins, lost 35 pounds and will have to exercise. Don't know where to get the time to do that.

I think I will visit frequently, your list of what to expect made a lot clear.

Thanks for now,
Venne
Venne

Postby cin-d-rella » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:55 am

Hi Venne,

I am writing this a bit too long after you posted, but I sure know what losing a spouse is like. After 25 1/2 years of marriage, my husband passed away very suddenly of a brain aneurysm. (May 2005).

I had symptoms of peri before it happened, but what I notice a difference in is my arthritis. It is so much worse. I too need to start an exercise program. I am going to buy a puppy (crazy me, my 2 kids are grown up and I have one grandson). I am going to start with a puppy and hopefully get some motivation to DO things. I am retired.

This is a great site and I hope to see you again on it. You will get a whole lot of support and laughs...which we all need, especially during this trying phase of life.

My Aunt was from Holland...nice people !!! :wink From Cin-d-rella :widow, peri-pauzer and Grammie to Austin (almost 1 year old !!).
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby PDiva » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:39 am

My husband recently passed away after a very long and horrible fight with a rare cancer. He has been slowly dying for about 1 1/2 years (had the cancer for 7 years). During that time, I started my menopause experience. I just turned 51. His death was also the cause of a physician's diagnostic error. We didn't sue either. Complicated. However, I can relate to the onset of menopause coinciding with the death of a spouse. It was terrible to go through the hot flashes during a time when his body was feeling so cold. Neither one of us was comfortable. I firmly believe that the terrible stress brought my menopause on. Women in my family don't start menopause this early. I've got hobbies, my children are grown, and I'm looking for a job so I can support myself (very little life insurance) and not lose my house. Not sure what a stay at home Mom can look for in a job that will pay what I need to live these days. Anyway, I can relate to your situation. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I only lost my sweet and gentle husband a few weeks ago and it is very hard dealing with it.
PDiva
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:09 am

Hugs to you both!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause