I stink!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

I stink!

Postby Galoutofdixie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi folks,

This is embarrasing... All of a sudden, I stink. Stinky underams, really stinky feet! :oops:

I've never had this problem before. Within 10 months of becoming post meno, this body odor problem has started. I started having profuse sweating along with the hot flashes, and even when I wasn't feeling hot, I was sweating. I started taking HRT. The vivelle dot, and prometrium. The sweating and hot flashes has stopped, but the body odor continues. I take a shower in the morning and a bath at night. I'm okay for a couple of hours, but then the odor returns. What in the world is going on!

I use an antibacterial soap, shower to shower powder, etc. I've had to throw away a several pairs of shoes, because they...Stink!

I never had this problem before, even in puberty. Anyone else dealing with this, and what did you do to cope with it?

Any help would be appreciated. {{hugs}}

Chris
Chris
I live in Louisiana
Birth year/1952
Almost Postmeno

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world." ~unknown~ Image
Galoutofdixie
On Fire!

Postby berykute » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:55 pm

Most of this is bacteria gone wild. Also your pheramones have changed.
Try eating yogurt with beneficial bacteria, sometimes this works.
Also stay away from anything in the alum family such as garlic, onions and leek. :)
What the heck now?
berykute
One HOT Woman!

Postby Galoutofdixie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi Berrykute!

Thanks for your reply. I'll be picking up some yogurt today. I hope it works. :lol:

Earlier this week, I picked up some new deoderant. "Mitchem' for women and some,"dr. Scholl's, Odor Destroyer", for the feet. Both seem to be helping. The foot spray has zinc oxide in it and really helps the sweating. Now, I'll try the yogurt. Hoping that it'll work from the inside/out. :wink:

Thanks again, {{hugs}}
Chris
Chris
I live in Louisiana
Birth year/1952
Almost Postmeno

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world." ~unknown~ Image
Galoutofdixie
On Fire!

Postby psexypsychic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:27 am

This isn't menopause related, but I wanted to respond-

My husband had a stroke 11 years ago. Six months after the stroke, he developed a seizure disorder. His body odor changed then- no matter what he did/used it was awful. It is still pretty bad in the mornings (don't get me started on his morning breath- you don't want to be in the room with him!).

I'm going to see if the yogurt thing works for him.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby niftyfifty1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 pm

I went through a "smell change" :lol: too. I think it was the second year after my cycles stopped. I was trying a number of different deodorants because my old faithful just didn't work as well. Now it is better, I guess the hormones leveled more.
Maybe it also has to do with the change in skin oils. :?
I just know that I don't want to ever have that old smell I notice of some people. My husband's grandmother smelled good. Like fresh soap and water clean.
niftyfifty1

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 am

Here's some information that might help us understand why this happens:

Sweat glands (apocrine glands) under the arms and in the groin secrete a substance that is the major non-food/drink related cause of body odor. This substance, which contains protein, carbohydrates, and lipids, often secreted by a surge in sex hormones caused by tense moments or emotional stress, is quickly attacked by bacteria, causing odor. Also, today children are starting puberty much earlier, and this change in hormones may lead to body odor in children younger than previously. Estrogen dominance, often caused by petrochemical products, may trigger the earlier puberty.

Now THIS is something I've never heard before!! Wonder if it's got any validity?

Drinking sodas out of plastic bottles is one of the leading causes of estrogen dominance.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby niftyfifty1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:34 am

Thanks Dee.
Makes sense to me. That's why new teens have a strong body odor they can't seem to find a deodorant for until their hormones settle into their places. My teens went through it. And since menopause is a change in hormones....yep makes sense to me.
Don't medications sometimes cause change in odor too? since they are altering the body's system?
Plastic bottles huh? I guess glass is better, but not found often. I was always leary of cans because of the aluminum, and it made the pop taste kind of metallic to my taste buds.
niftyfifty1

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 am

Hey, did you see the ads at the bottom of the page? Might be worth checking out :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby niftyfifty1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:31 pm

Hi Dee,
Saw the ad for body odor. Think it is for real? It has one of those high pitch sales ad. There is no indication of ingredients. It probably rebalances the good and bad bacteria. We eat so much processed foods in America that we are toxic.
That brings us back to berykute's suggestion. Yogurt!
I suppose probiotics would be a good idea too.
niftyfifty1

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause