Leaking?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Leaking?

Postby ~Amanda~ » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:12 pm

Anyone here have a leaky bladder? :oops:
Sometimes when I go and I think I am done I feel a little trickle
Also if I sneeze or cough hard I get that little trickle too :oops:
Anyone else?
~Amanda~
Warm Pauzer

Postby pamibe » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:34 pm

Yes, once in a great while.... But it only seems to be when I'm constipated. I have IBS and that doesn't help any.... I do Kegels, but I only remember to do them when it happens!! :lol:

I always wondered... there's a medication for older dogs that 'dribble' - it stops it cold.... When will there be something for us??

As you can tell, I am willing to talk about ANYthing! :D
pamibe

Postby Zero » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:55 am

They've been advertising a product for this on tv lately.....of course they have a medication for everything! Here's the info (the ads I've seen are for Detrol) You just have to keep in mind that they may not work the same for everyone and there's always some side effects involved. I also found the http://www.poise.com site and isn't it a shame that we finally get rid of all the pads and then discover we still need them!! Here's the cartoon I did about this awhile back:

Bladder Training with Timed Voiding
This treatment is used for urge and overflow incontinence. The patient keeps a voiding diary of all episodes of urination and leaking, and the physician analyzes the chart and identifies the pattern of urination. The patient uses this timetable to plan when to empty the bladder to avoid accidental leakage. In bladder training, biofeedback and Kegel exercise help the patient resist the sensation of urgency, postpone urination, and urinate according to the timetable.
Medication
Drugs such as oxybutynin chloride (Ditropan XL®) and tolterodine (Detrusitol®, Detrol LA®) are taken orally, once a day, for overactive bladder. They can improve symptoms within 2 weeks. These drugs (antimuscarinics) affect the central nervous system and muscarinic receptors in smooth muscle. They relax the smooth muscle of the bladder, which reduces detrusor contraction and subsequent wetting accidents. In a recent study, participants taking Ditropan XL had 90% fewer accidents, used fewer protective pads, and experienced 24-hour relief from urgency and loss of control.

Side effects, including dry mouth, constipation, headache, blurred vision, hypertension, drowsiness, and urinary retention occur in approximately 50% of those who use the drugs. People with glaucoma or certain types of kidney, liver, stomach, and urinary problems are advised not to take Ditropan XL. Although there is no evidence that Ditropan XL causes birth defects, pregnant women should not take it without consulting a physician.

Oxybutynin Transdermal System
The oxybutynin transdermal system (Oxytrol™) is a thin, flexible, clear patch that is applied to the skin of the abdomen or hip, twice weekly, to treat overactive bladder. This treatment delivers oxybutynin continuously through the skin into the bloodstream and relieves symptoms for up to 4 days allowing twice a week dosing.

Patients who have urinary or gastric retention, uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, and those with hypersensitivity to oxybutynin should not use the oxybutynin transdermal system.

Side effects are usually mild and include adverse reactions at the site of application, dry mouth, and constipation.
Zero

Postby pamibe » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:08 pm

OH! They call it "overactive bladder"! And here I'm thinking that's something totally different. [duh!]

Dee, I LOVE that Minnie cartoon!! I actually did laugh out loud when I saw it, so loud in fact that my husband asked "what?"... I said: "Um... nothing!" :lol:
pamibe

Postby hotandsweaty » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:19 am

YES!!! In fact I came from the doctor just today and she told me i leak because of the lower estrogen levels. So I'll just keep a little toilet paper in my underwear just in case. Sound familiar??? :wink:
hotandsweaty

Postby mfrompa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:29 pm

Toilet paper doesn't do it for me..now, 2 folded bounty paper towels, that's the ticket. :lol: Everybody should take out stock in Bounty towels, if this catches on. At least there would be an upside to it :lol:

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the board :D

marcia
My goal is to accept the things I cannot change, with serenity, and the wisdom to know the difference.
mfrompa
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause