No more dry skin...

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

No more dry skin...

Postby Bevy1958 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:33 am

For most of my life I have suffered from dry, flaky skin. Usually by late August every year it would start and last until May or June. My face, hands, arms, lower legs (yes, only from the knees down) and scalp. Never mind dandruff on my head, I had it from head to toe!! My elbows were so bad sometimes they would crack and bleed when I bent my arm and I would never even think about wearing dark coloured pantyhose without first massaging 1/2 cup of oil into each leg. These last few yrs it's gotten worse with the itchy, crawly sensations added into the mix. I've gone through many bottles of witch-hazel/aloe-vera gel trying to get relief.

Back in Sept I was talking with some co-workers, telling them how excited I am to be going away to Cuba in March with just my sister. I was told by several people to make sure I did the fake-n-bake before going so that I won't burn when I get there. One co-worker recommended I start taking Vitamin E supplements so that my tan would hold better. He explained that if your skin is moist you will tan easier and it will stay longer.
Being the skeptic I am I didn't hold out much hope for my tired, old, dry, flaky self...I mean if yrs of creams, lotions and oils have done nothing what can I expect from a vitamin right :roll:
I decided it wouldn't hurt to try so I bought some and started taking 400 IU a day for about 3 weeks and then increased it to 800 IU (my co-worker had told me to do this).
After being on this for another few weeks I began to notice a difference in my hands, then my face and I realized I hadn't put any lotion on in a while. Last week I wore black tights without first oiling my legs and the tights didn't look like they had a bad case of dandruff!!! The best thing though is my elbows!!! Where until recently I had hard, dry, white elbows I now have soft silky elbows :P In fact my whole body is now soft and silky feeling...my skin hasn't been this soft since before puberty!! My b/f laughs at me because I can't stop caressing myself :oops: I'm so used to skin like sandpaper that I'm always amazed at how good it now feels.

Ok, so that is a long post...sort of...but I can't help myself, I just want to share...lol. I've been going around making people feel my elbows...yeah, I know I'm nuts; but I'm no longer flaky!!!! :wink:

Bev
makin snow angels with just shorts and a T-shirt on...that cools me down!!!
Born 1958...been peri since about my late 30's
Bevy1958
Combustible

Postby colopam » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:40 am

Great for you Bevvy!!

This may help alot of people!! I like th eOmega 3,6,9 I've been taking pretty much for the same reasons as well as my heart. This is the type of thing we need to share here!!!

Hugs Pam

P.s. How was your trip???? Or have you gone yet???
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Bevy1958 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:46 am

Haven't gone yet. We are going in March...just my sister and I. We are really looking forward to it.

I've been taking the efa's off and on for yrs but never had results like I'm having with Vitamin E. I bought a book about vitamins and minerals and I'm going to start taking other vitamins as well. I've taken a multi for yrs but as I said, never noticed any difference in my health.
Bevy1958
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 am

This just proves that by educating ourselves instead of listening only to doctors, advertisements and marketers, we can discover what REALLY works instead of the hype around every single product out there! That's one reason I like to read what Dr. Andrew Weil recommends because he first goes to the most natural products and then will suggest integrated medicine if necessary.

I'm trying to find something that will help my psoriasis other than the HEAVY duty drugs the docs recommend (and they cost $1100 a month!). I use the vitamin E cream, but since psoriasis is basically caused by a disfunctioning immune system, the creams do no more than just soften the thickest plaques. Here's a picture of my leg that has the worst example of the psoriasis....it's also like this on my back and even my butt:

It itches constantly and when I scratch it, it bleeds....when the skin is damaged from the scratching, the patches spread. It really feels like a losing battle. :( The only thing I've found that helps is taking steroids or getting rid of stress.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Bevy1958 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 pm

Dee, why not try Vitamin E supplements...it certainly won't hurt and from what I've been reading it is needed to help maintain our immune system. A dear friend of mine is always telling me that what we see on the outside needs to be fixed from the inside.

The book I'm reading may be of some help to you too. It is called The Real Vitamin & Mineral Book by Shari Lieberman, Ph.D., CNS, FACN, and Nancy Bruning

Bev
Bevy1958
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Yes, you're right, I should go ahead and take the vit E.... I take fish oil capsules and flax seed oil, but I'm terrible about taking stuff regularly!

I'll check out the book too..... thanks, Bev
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause