Dealing with insomnia!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Dealing with insomnia!

Postby Zero » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:49 am

What do you do when you can't sleep? I hear from many women with different variations of this very tiring symptom. Some can't get to sleep, some can't stay asleep and this can play havoc with our bodies and our lives in general.

Fortunately, I live alone so no one else has to suffer my weird hours, but the other night my 5 year old granddaughter spent the night and I saw what kind of effect this could have on others in the household. We were both really tired from a busy day (I had been up since 4am) and fell asleep on the couch by 8pm. Uh oh.....for me that means trouble since I can't seem to sleep more than 5 hrs. Guess what time I woke up....yup, 1am. So I came in the office and started working on the computer and watching CNN. At 4:30 am, my granddaughter came in on my lap and she was wide awake too. I felt bad when I dropped her off at school because I had the feeling her little butt was going to be dragging by afternoon.

I felt like death warmed over by noon, so I tried to take a nap and put a halt to this crazy schedule I've been dealing with for weeks. I dozed for about an hour, but by 7pm I felt drained again and fell asleep....missed a couple of tv shows and a live chat online that I wanted to attend and was wide awake again at 11:30 pm..... now it's 1:42 am and I'm here posting away. Lordy, Lordy......guess it's time to try some Sleepytime tea or a glass of milk (oh no.....carbs!). Eventually, I'll get myself back to a more normal schedule...... asleep at midnight, awake at 5am. That seems to work best for me.

Do any of you have these problems? What do you do to get the sleep you need?
Zero

Sleepless--ANYWHERE, EVERYWHERE

Postby somewhereinthemiddletoo » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:36 am

Well, I don't have any real answers, because I've become quite an insomniac myself during the last year or so. A few months ago, I had my hubby bring my treadmill up to my office. (It had been residing in the basement for years--a lovely decor item that held my "when I get around to it" mending projects.) My thought was that if I forced myself to put in a couple miles on the treadmill, maybe I would be tired out enough to sleep through the night. Problem is...I don't know if it worked or not, because I've also done some other things.

First, I absolutely will myself to stay awake until 10 p.m. I don't care what I have to do, including going outside and walking around for a couple hours in freezing weather. If I snooze AT ALL during the day, I will not sleep for more than 5 hours at night. Believe me, some days it takes all the willpower I possess to stay up. I have even had to watch a couple of my favorite TV shows standing up, because the minute I plant my butt in a chair, I'm asleep.

Second, I changed when we eat dinner. We are now, generally, done by 6 p.m. and I eat NOTHING after that. (I'm the biggest popcorn freak that ever walked the planet, and used to eat it every single night.)

And finally, yes, I do end up putting several miles miles on the treadmill. Usually I do one or two miles in the morning. (Takes about a half hour. I don't move too quick in the morning :wink: )
Another two at lunch--I read somewhere that you need to put in two miles in a half hour in order for it to be aerobically/cardio useful.
And sometimes, another mile in the evening.

Has it helped the insomnia? Well, about every third night, I'm up for a couple hours between 2 and 4 am. That's better than when it was every single night. Has it helped my stress level? I think so. I don't seem to feel as panicky. Has it helped my hips? You betcha--I squeezed into size 8 jeans this morning (I was a size 16 last year.)

The joke is: I HATE EXERCISE. I'm serious. My idea of exercise is to get up and turn the TV off, instead of using the remote!!! I guess I just needed to find something I hated more than exercise. And just think--all it took was hot flashes, panic attacks, profuse bleeding, and sleep deprivation :lol:.

Hang in there,
Kat
somewhereinthemiddletoo

dealing w/ insomnia

Postby southernbelle » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:40 pm

Hi, I have been fighting this for around a yr. now, and I HATE! it. If there's one thing I love, it's my sleep time. I have completely weened myself off my nightly cup of coffee, no iced tea, etc. and no sweets after supper time. Just good ol' exciting water. I had decided that the easiest way to calm down and get back to sleep was to give in to it, go in and make a hot cup of green tea, then after I relaxed, go back to bed. Then, about a week ago, I began taking black cohosh, calcium, magnesium, zinc. I believe something is working, since night before last I actually enjoyed a night's sleep, only woke up for a mnute or two, and last night, same thing. I'm was so surprised when I woke up at 5:30 and realized I'd slept all night, WOW!
note:This is a correction, don't know why I typed in 'manganese' instead of magnesium. think I was experiencing a "minnipauz".
Last edited by southernbelle on Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
southernbelle

That's great, southernbelle!

Postby Zero » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:24 pm

Especially after a YEAR!! I go through several weeks at a time where I wake up at 3:30 or earlier (like the other day) and then I suddenly find that I'm sleeping pretty well. I haven't been able to figure out one particular thing that causes me to sleep though. My body doesn't seem to need more than 5 hrs at a time, so if I can keep myself awake until midnight, I can usually sleep till 5 or 5:30.

The only thing that I THINK helps on a regular basis is the calcium/magnesium I take (it's a powdered form, not pills) I've read a lot of info about them helping our muscles relax, etc. so maybe there's something to it. The info I've found is here: http://www.minniepauz.com/calcium.html

As I said before, I don't know how the ones who have to go to work outside the home every day keep their energy up. Loss of sleep is the main thing that screws everything else up!
Zero

Postby bebarber » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:29 pm

I'm with you guys.....I seem to never sleep thru the night. I can barely stay awake for the news at 10 and then I'm awake at 2 or 3, usually can't get back to sleep. When I do, then the alarm goes off INSTANTLY!! HAHA

I also take Black Cohosh, and a multivitamin, magnesium, Vitamins C and E. I also heard that Valerian Root is helpful for insomnia, but not sure how much of it you can take. I'm going to have my blood tested for liver problems, due to taking Black Cohosh over an extended period and the "tylenol" combination I have taken for years for migraines.
Barbara

"Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans."
bebarber

Postby Zero » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:19 pm

Barbara....be sure and let us know the results of your liver test. I'm confused about the black cohosh too, especially since that one report about one woman's liver problem that was attributed to her using it.

I've been waiting to hear from Susun Weed about this since she is the queen of herbs as far as I'm concerned. Mostly, I want to find out what the recommended dosage is. I've heard everything from 40mg to 160mg a day.

I don't have many hot flashes any more, so I wouldn't know if it was helping that symptom or not. Many women swear by it, but others say it doesn't help. Everything is still YRMV..... "your results may vary"
Zero

Postby Zero » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:16 pm

I'm still struggling with these weird sleep habits. The latest deal is that I keep myself awake until at least 11, but I'm waking up at 1:30 am and can't get back to sleep until maybe 5am.... then I get really drowsy in the afternoon and end up taking a nap, which usually assures I'll be up until 11 again and ready to start over. Jeez....... I wouldn't mind so much (like I mentioned, I live alone and work from home), but it's hard to work with clients who are on regular schedules. When they are ready to talk business, I'm mostly brain dead.

One thing I've found is that if you have some carbs late in the evening, they may help you in falling asleep. Maybe that's why we always heard that a glass of milk would help you sleep. Hey, wouldn't ice cream help too???? :) And for when you wake up too early, sometimes "Sleepytime Herbal Tea" might help.

Here's some info from the National Women's Health Information Center about insomnia, but usually no one connects this issue with menopause, so I don't know if it will help or not:
http://www.4woman.gov/faq/insomnia.htm
Zero

Postby iluvtolaff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:31 am

I thought I'd revive this old post on insomnia. It's one of the major problems I've been dealing with for months now. I have tried many herbal and OTC meds with no good results. A couple weeks ago, I started taking Tylenol PM and it has helped me quite a bit!
I don't feel like I actually slept but they make me so relaxed that I don't toss & turn and actually get the rest I need. I'm able to function now at work and at home. I get a bottle of 50 at the local 'supercenter' for under $3--their brand--so it's pretty cheap. A night's REST is better than nothing!
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks for reviving the post. Lot's of good info and links get lost when the topics aren't up near the top (usually because someone starts a new post on the old topic).

I'm glad you found something that helps you! It may just help someone else too. We're all out here trying to find a way to get a good night's sleep and any suggestions are worth a try!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby scottie » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:14 am

First off, I apologize for my sporadic appearances here.

Right now it's around 4 am and I am up just to cool off. I think my insomnia mostly derives from night sweats. They're killing me! :(
scottie

Postby minniepauz » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:42 am

Scottie....do you think if your night clothes didn't get soaked that maybe it would help? I'm just wondering because one of my advertisers has those "wicking" pj's (or gowns) and you might want to try that...there's also pillow cases.... http://www.serenecomfort.com/Wicking-Ni ... r-C16.aspx

Some of my readers have tried Effisoy and I think they're going to give away a free month starting next month....that might be worth a try too. http://www.effisoy.com

I don't remember what all you've tried before but I hope you can find some relief very soon!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby scottie » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:48 am

Thanks, Dee. These night sweats are for the birds! I will check out the links you gave me.
scottie

Postby iluvtolaff » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:32 am

I think I found relief! I've been on fish oil caps (1000 mg. am and pm) for about 2 months now and I think they finally 'kicked in' because I've slept great for 2 weeks now!! :D Of course, I could just be going through a good phase right now and the insomnia could come back--have to wait and see how it goes.
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:52 am

I started taking the fish oil caps because someone here said it helped with their tinnitis and I deal with that 24 hrs a day. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped at all, but now that I've got psoriasis, it's supposed to help that. I don't think it's going to but I do know it's good to take anyway.

I would be surprised if any two of us had the same sleeping problems since our bodies, our chemical makeup and schedules are so different. Most of the time it takes a combination of things to help us manage our worst symptoms, doesn't it? I remember someone suggested SleepyTime tea to me and it actually helped me get back to sleep when I'd wake up at 1am, but I also have to have a fan blowing on me and not drink any liquids after a certain time in the evening.

When I kind of "slid" off the lowcarb wagon and started to eat more carbs, I found out I was sleeping MUCH better! All through the night even! Don't know if that works for anyone else or if you want to face the weight gain to be able to sleep. :) But a glass of milk might be worth trying.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby scottie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:31 am

I just had to share. Last night after dinner I had my usual cup of coffee (gotta change that habit), but I had no snacks. Then I had a cup of Celestial Seasonings Menopause Nite tea and one of my black cohosh complex pm tablets. I slept for 5 1/2 hours straight with no waking up and no night sweats. It was wonderful! Of course, it helped that I only got 4 1/2 hours of sleep the night before. :roll: Anyway, it was so nice not to toss around trying to get cool.
scottie

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Menopause