Unexplained weight gain

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Unexplained weight gain

Postby moe » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:11 pm

Just thought I would share this with everyone.
A couple of years ago when I went for my annual check up the doctor said my cholesterol was really high. He asked me to do two things, eat 35 grams of fat a day and walk for an hour every day.
Threw me for a loop. I was pretty sedentary and the queen of fast food.
Anyway, I did what he said and the weight started falling off. I lost 45 lbs in about nine months and kept it off until about 7 months ago. All of a sudden I started gaining weight about 10lbs. (in spite of walking 4 miles a day and eating low fat).
I knew that I had been in peri-menopause for a few years and started to read up on the subject.
I got two great books. "Before the Change"-Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause by Ann Louise Gittleman and "The Menopause Diet" by Larrian Gillespie.
They explained why I was suddenly gaining weight and what to do about it.
I have already lost 2 lbs. in a week.
Any one else out there having this problem?

Moe
moe
On Fire!

Good choices, Moe!

Postby Zero » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:11 am

I also recommend those books on my book list at http://www.minniepauz.com/books.html Ann Louise was on Dr. Phil a few months ago and explained things even more.

I totally recommend Larrian Gillespie's "The Menopause Diet" (or "The Goddess Diet" for peri-menopausers), plus her new website http://www.hormonediva.com where for a few dollars she will will act as your health coach one on one. For anyone who does not have a doctor who will LISTEN to them and try to help them balance their hormones, Larrian is the one to go to!!
Zero

From the pages of the Obvious book...

Postby pamibe » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:06 pm

"Menopause Munching Causes Weight Gain" from Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3809352

Extra eating WILL cause a person to gain weight; and I can believe the changes one goes through at menopause will cause them to eat out of depression or anxiety, but do hormones really have any cause in the effect???
They didn't convince me. :shock:
pamibe

Re: From the pages of the Obvious book...

Postby Zero » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:10 pm

pamibe wrote:"Menopause Munching Causes Weight Gain" from Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3809352

Extra eating WILL cause a person to gain weight; and I can believe the changes one goes through at menopause will cause them to eat out of depression or anxiety, but do hormones really have any cause in the effect???
They didn't convince me. :shock:

ME NEITHER, PAM!!!! What a crock! To me that article was useless except for the benefit (again) of supporting "we'll find more drugs to give women"! That writer didn't do her homework or she would have found that there IS a correlation between menopause/hormones and weight gain.

Larrian Gillespie has been the most clear (in my opinion) about this issue. Her book "The Menopause Diet" explains it pretty well. There are also other doctors and nutritionists who support the same theory.

Someone on the lowcarb board I visit posted this:
"hormones do have some influence.

I've read a number of articles that suggested the reason for fat shifting to the tummy is that fat cells in the abdomen and breasts excrete small amounts of estrogen. Thus, the increase in those fat cells helps the body cope with the diminishing supply of estrogen from the ovaries. Further, these articles suggested that the extra weight might help prevent osteoporosis, if one stayed active. The theory (perhaps, a dubious one) was that the extra weight bearing activity helped to prevent bone loss."

It really pisses me off that *somebody* is funding all these studies on monkeys and pigs and whatever, to figure out what is "going on" with women, instead of doing actual clinical studies on REAL WOMEN. Oregon researchers have uncovered intriguing evidence that hunger and weight go up as levels of female sex hormones go down -- at least in monkeys.

Oh jeez...I'm really steaming right now (and it's not a hot flash).....guess I'd better go cool off!
Zero

Re: From the pages of the Obvious book...

Postby pamibe » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:04 pm

Probably the people funding the studies are the ones who stand to gain the most monetarily... Like the drug companies??
I don't have a clue, but I think you hit it on the head when you said: "What a crock!" :)
pamibe

Postby Zero » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:13 am

"In women, it has been demonstrated that major weight increases often occur during menopause, the time in a woman's life in which cyclic ovarian function ends and the ovarian hormones estrogen and progesterone decline. The goal of this research was to determine whether, and to what extent, the decline in these hormones have an effect on body weight in an effort to better understand and proactively treat obesity."

http://bend.com/news/ar_view%5E3Far_id%5E3D12430.htm
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause