Report from Scientific American

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Report from Scientific American

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:48 am

They keep telling us that walking and exercise will help....maybe I should try it. :)

March 22, 2007
Walking, yoga may help during menopause

E-mail Print Link RSS del.icio.us

By Amy Norton

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Moderate exercise like walking and yoga may make the transition through menopause a little easier, new research suggests.

The study, published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine, included 164 sedentary women who'd been suffering hot flashes, night sweats and other menopausal symptoms. Researchers found that starting them on a regular exercise routine, whether it was walking or taking yoga classes, seemed to boost the women's emotional well-being.

There was no clear evidence that either form of exercise eased hot flashes or other specific menopause symptoms. But both walking and yoga gave the women an emotional lift and improved how they rated their quality of life.

ADVERTISEMENT (article continues below)

After 4 months, women in both groups reported higher levels of general happiness than a comparison group of non-exercisers. They also reported gains in "menopause-related quality of life," which gauged their feelings about their physical health, emotional well-being and sex life.

"I would definitely recommend exercise to enhance psychological well-being," said Dr. Steriani Elavsky, an assistant professor of kinesiology at Pennsylvania State University and the study's lead author.

More research is needed to see whether walking, yoga or other forms of exercise can diminish specific menopause symptoms like hot flashes and sleep problems, according to Elavsky. Some studies have found that, because exercise raises body temperature, it can actually promote hot flashes in the short term, she told Reuters Health.

However, Elavsky's team found that while neither walking nor yoga were clearly linked to improved menopause symptoms, those women who were able to boost their cardiovascular fitness during the study period did report fewer symptoms.

This is "encouraging," Elavsky said, because fitness is something women can change -- by consistently performing activities that get the heart rate up.

SOURCE: Annals of Behavioral Medicine, April 2007.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:07 pm

That's all well and good. I was doing exactly that. I'd walk four miles a day, do 20 to 30 minutes of yoga every other day (I'd do an ab-workout on the off-yoga days). But when peri started, it screwed up my thyroid all over again and by the time the doctors figured it out (that is, finally started listening to me), I'd gained more than sixty pounds and had a slew of other problems.

I can't stand up for very long because my legs swell- and on really bad days, I swell all over. Because of the extra weight, my foot problems have multiplied. And, my knee still hasn't healed from that last injury- one year and one month ago.

So, sometimes, perimenopause will come on whether you exercise or not!

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:02 pm

Some days I think BOXING would be worthwhile... :hmm: hmmmm.... at least sometimes it would be satisfying temporarily....... :winky:

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:00 am

I recommend tae kwon do. My son is a second degree black belt (the only thing keeping him from third degree is the cost of testing). And that sport is incredibly theraputic.

And in the end, you get belt levels and tournaments to mark your accomplishments!
:lol:

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause