Periods, clots and other fun stuff

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Periods, clots and other fun stuff

Postby momofseven » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:26 am

I have perused a lot of the forum, but I don't have time to read 10,000 posts, LOL. I am just wondering about the bleeding, clots, etc. thing. As in, how does it go--kinda stays the same, progressively gets worse and heavier, or the heavies and the clots are a sign of the End Times?

Also, and this is gross, but hey, I am anonymous here, right? I am so heavy at the beginning of a cycle, I use tampons and mega pads and have to change quite often. But that usually only lasts a day or two. Then, things may just *stop* followed by pain that almost feels like childbirth (i.e., uterine contractions), followed by the passing of some clots--not huge, but definitely clots. I have wondered if this is bc of using tampons--kinda inhibiting the free flow--or if this is just the way it is.

Also, when are clots something to be worried about?

Thanks, ladies. Isn't this fun? :roll:
Mom of Seven
momofseven
Warm Pauzer

Postby momofseven » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:52 am

http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle.asp?page=/endo/articles/blood_clots

Well, I did find this. But I'd still be interested in hearing others' experiences with this.
Mom of Seven
momofseven
Warm Pauzer

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:12 am

I have three to four days of heavyness with the clots and all. I go through tampons AND pads about every two hours. (and that's if I'm lucky).

Then, by the fourth or fifth day, it all but stops. Sometimes it stays very light for three or four (or six?) more days, sometimes it goes into a regular period situation. And, the cramps, they come and go- I never know when they'll strike.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby hotpatootie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:53 am

I haven't had a period for going on 16 months now, I have passed over to the other side. :lol: :lol:

But oh yes the clotting was really something, I always said I thought I was passing parts of my liver sometimes. :shock: And had a few freinds who related the same thing. Also the heavy flow, I could hardly be away from a bathroom for the first few days of my period, as my gyno use to say, I was practically soaking my shoes. I started peri-meno at 48-49, I am now almost 55, and the heavy periods went on for a few years and then then last few years before I finally stopped it slowed down. I would go for 6 months or so without a period and get my hopes up, only to have them dashed on the rocks.
Take heart ladies, it will finally stop.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 am

these posts make me so relieved - it's not just me! For the last couple of years I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I can go for weeks, months even, with nothing (oh the relief, being able to go swimming, wear light trousers .... wonderful). Then, out of the blue, it's like someone turned on a tap and I'm clotting and bleeding and I swear there's body parts coming out. I can really relate to Hotpatootie saying that you think you've passed part of your liver - that made me laugh a lot. I look at what's coming out and think - what the heck is THAT?! Then I may have just blood, either fresh red blood or horrible yukky brown stringing blood, for a while. Then spotting .... I really never have any idea what's going on in my knickers, I often say that my handbag contains purse, house keys, tampons for the light days, sanitary pads for the heavy days and a spare pair of undie for the waterfall days.
Reading the posts on MinniePauz keeps me sane and reminds me that it's something that is completely normal. My mother never told me THIS! She said the menopause meant that you had fewer periods and a bit of spotting and then it was all over - it probably was like that for her, or else she didn't want to scare the pants off me by telling me what it is really like!!.
Keep well, ladies, and have a good day!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby hotpatootie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:45 am

When I first joined a few years ago, I was where you are now and really it was such a dreadful time. It helped immensely reading what other women had to say. I can't imagine what it was like in our mother's day when nobody really talked much about what was happening with their bodies, it must have been quite scary.

There were a few times at work I even had to bow out of a few day road trips, because I knew I couldn't be very far from a bathroom, atleast my boss, a woman, was very understanding of my situation.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:22 pm

I agree with you, Hotpatootie, at least we can talk about it. Our mother's generation didn't mention it nor discuss the facts of life and my own mum probably couldn't bring herself to speak about it. In fact, I never learned the facts of life nor knew of the existence of menstruation until it actually happened to me (oh the embarrassment, at a family picnic in a park and I recall the shock on everyone's face and my mother wrapping a picnic blanket around me and bundling me into the car and then home in red-faced silence). Oh, and then she told me the facts of life as well - boy did I cry and bawl the house down with shock, horror and fear!
Anyway, she did what she thought was best but I never ever thought to ask about the menopause very much so it is with great relief that MinniePauz fills the gap in my knowledge and lets me know that it is all normal. Messy, inconvenient, time-consuming and uncomfortable ....... but normal!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby hotpatootie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Yeah brother, my mom never told me anything about like where babies came from, and then when I starting finding out about "it" from other kids. :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :shock:

Times have changed I hope for young women. Well crikey we didn't know half of the things grade school children do now, even when we were teenagers. :roll:
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby momofseven » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:20 pm

gorgeousfluffpot wrote:Reading the posts on MinniePauz keeps me sane and reminds me that it's something that is completely normal. My mother never told me THIS!

Yeah, well, my mom had ovarian cancer and a complete hysterectomy, so nothing normal there. BTW, she had already had bilateral mastectomy because of pre-cancerous cysts--that was to avoid the possibility of cancer...and then she got the ovarian cancer! Poor Mom. But, she's still alive and kickin' 20 plus years later now. :D She just can't tell me anything about menopause!

Do read the link I posted about the clots--made a lot of sense and was reassuring to me. And thanks for sharing, ladies. Nice that we can get some info about this process from real ladies going through it!
Mom of Seven
momofseven
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:35 am

Momofseven

thanks...something to remember when thinking there can't be anything worse than peri and meno...gotta give thanks for the little things.
Hugs to you and your mom!
Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause