Antidepressants for Menopause Symptoms

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Antidepressants for Menopause Symptoms

Postby MariaEl » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:26 pm

Has anyone heard of using these for meno symptoms. I mainly have dizziness and all day tension headache, so I asked my doctor if I should consider going back on HRT. He said we would try anti-depressants if they didn't get better soon. I was shocked. Does this work and has anyone had experience with it? Thanks. Maria
MariaEl
Combustible

Postby Zero » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:58 pm

Maria, it's become very common for doctors to suggest anti-depressants for menopause symptoms, especially since there's so much controversy still about using hormone therapy. Just like everything else, there are varied opinions and varied results. I'm one who doesn't like to take a lot of medications, but anti-depressants helped me get through a rough period of my life. I don't know if it helped with menopause or not, but it might be worth a try since a lot of your headaches are due to stress. If you do a search in Google for "anti-depressants for menopause", you'll get to read many different viewpoints to base your decision on. You can also do a search here first to see what's been posted about it.
Zero

antidepressants

Postby rocky's mom » Wed May 04, 2005 12:46 am

my doctor put me on anit-depressants 3 yrs ago when i couldn't " take it" anymore. they have certainly helped me go through this process without going insane. i still have the symptoms, but i don't get stressed out from every little thing anymore, and i am able come up with solutions to things instead of panicking. i do not want to stay on these things the rest of my life, and i do dread coming off of them, but right now they surely help and i am grateful for the relief. hope that helps. if you need the help, don't be afraid to ask for it. unfortunately our society is not yet equipped with the understanding for this time of life, which is very sad, because it will happen to every woman. :wink: i wish you well, you do deserve the very best :) :) and god bless!!!!!!!
rocky's mom

Postby txgirl98 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:21 pm

My Dr. put me on Wellbutrin after I had to get off the hormones. My main symptoms after my hysterectomy were mood swings and anxiety. The Wellbutrin has been great. It also gives me an energy boost and doesn't kill my libido or make my emotions flat. I really don't have any other symptoms but some achy muscles and I am trying other things like vitamin supplements, exercise and Omega 3 fish oil to deal with that. I don't want to be on the anti-depr. forever either but right now it is helping me survive without the hormones that made me so ill. Take Care.
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

Postby Pauline » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:42 am

Oh I am so happy to find you all. I am new. 55 in August and for the last year have been experiencing dizziness and head pressure, heart palpitations and anxiety. I went the the ER 3 times and they could find nothing wrong. After sitting in my docs office crying like a baby (and not knowing why) she prescribed Xanax to help me through the difficult times. Just moved to NC from NY leaving my job, friends and kids. Now I am pretty certain it is linked to menopause. I only take half when I feel overwhelmed, but reading what others have to say is really helping me. I thought I was the only one going thru this. I am so glad I am not alone.
Pauline

Postby minniepauz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:24 pm

We're very happy to have you here, Pauline!! Don't want any women feeling alone or like they're losing their grip because of all the "changes" going on! I know it's such a relief to learn that this is our "normal" and now we can help each other find ways to adjust and accept it.

You've had some very stressful things in your life recently too, so start thinking about how you can take care of yourself and nuture this "new woman" you're becoming! :)
Last edited by minniepauz on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Antidepressants

Postby victoria123 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Hi............. yes, I am on Celexa now... had tried 'white-knuckling'
it ... and things became intolerable in July.... my doc suggested this and
i was willing to try anything... within a few weeks, many of my symptoms had settled... still get the odd hot flash... sleep is improved... so is mood... is more even.... I still need to take care of myself... i.e. I find
that if I leave the processed foods and white sugar out of my diet... and exercise with some regularity... things are even better...
talking to other folks helps too...
I work in the field of Mental health.... and it was hard to convince
me.... you might find it will help

cheers, Vicki
dob: 1951....... post
victoria123
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:54 pm

BMS' Emsam receives FDA approval to treat major depressive disorder
The Food and Drug Administration approved Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.'s Emsam (selegiline) transdermal system, the first transdermal patch for the treatment of major depressive disorder in adults.

Emsam is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor that has been shown to relieve depressive symptoms in patients with MDD.

Researchers evaluated the efficacy of Emsam in two double-blind studies that included a total of 441 adult outpatients with single and recurrent episodes of MDD. Patients were treated with Emsam or placebo for six to eight weeks.

In the trials, Emsam proved to be significantly more effective than placebo in improving depressive symptoms as determined by the 17-item and 28-item Hamilton Depression Rating scales.

Emsam was developed by Somerset Pharmaceuticals Inc., a joint venture between Mylan Laboratories Inc. and Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc.

©2004 FaxWatch Inc.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby linda48846 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:59 pm

I was on a multitude of antidepressants until I was correctly diagnosed with no estrogen. I was placed on estrogen replacement, and the antidepressants were decreased. I never had a single "hot flash" while being on the higher dose of antidepressants. In January of 2007 I had to stop the estrogen due to a massive pulmonary embolism. I am now experiencing hot flashes, although they are brief. I have read that the major antidepressant that I was on (Effexor) has a history of helping with hot flashes. I am now on a lower doseage of Effexor and I contribute it to the increase in hot flashes.
Hope this helps. :D
linda48846
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:06 am

Linda....I'm glad to hear the Effexor is working for you. I took it for awhile about 12 years ago for depression, but at the time, no doctor ever suggested that I might be going through menopause so I don't know if it helped or not. How old was I? 42...and since my periods had stopped a year before that, it's obvious now that I was having a lot of symptoms. Guess I'll have to get over the fact that no one was talking about it when I was suffering. :)

Anyway, Wyeth, who makes Effexor (as well as Premarin), is trying to get approval for a new drug called Pristiq. It's for menopause, has no estrogen and is basically a dirivative of Effexor. They're doing this because in 2010 (I think), there will be cheaper generics available. It's all very interesting and if you want to read about it, go here: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:56 am

The Dr. changed me to a generic Celexa (about 6 weeks now) and boy can I tell a difference!! I love it.. i don't have the weepies or the feeling of rage at the drop of a hat...I've had less insomnia and zero anxiety attacks!... now if this could help with the baker's cyst in my knee that's been killing me for the past week I'll be doing perfect!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:20 am

Pam, I'm glad to hear you're getting some relief....it's funny how these meds work differently on people. The possible side effects of Celexa are insomnia and increased sweating! :) As I've said many times, it takes a lot of experimenting to find something that works for our individual situation.

It must be great that it has reduced your anxiety attacks dramatically!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby toollady » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:08 pm

I don't know if I've had ongoing depression, I mean I've been depressed before for awhile, but nothing that lasted very long, thank goodness! What I did realize about a year and a half ago was that I had alot of anxiety, ALL THE TIME! That's when I went to the new Dr. and was put on the bio-identicals. But what she also gave me was DHEA, to "help my general feeling of well being". Well, I don't think I've ever taken anything that was as noticable that quickly! I mean within 48 hrs. I could tell a big, big difference in the way I felt emotionally and mentally...I think it help with memory and thought retention I guess you could say, hahaha.
Marcia (Minnie Pauz's sister)
age 57/taking Bio Identicals

http://www.petwhimsey.com
toollady

Postby colopam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 am

Toollady
she didn't really give me the antidepressant for depression...but rather the weepies (nothing going on just started crying) and anxiety attacks. I do believe that I sweat more but I don't feel hotter and in my work environment (the lightcloud in a bigbox)as well as living in a steamroom right now (tampa in July!) i think I'm doing ok actually I don't think I'm getting the "warmies" as nite anymore either!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby toollady » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:51 am

I know that must be a relief Pam, to get rid of the nite sweats! I've talked to alot of women that had to deal with that, not sure but it sounds like my youngest daughter may have to in time. She's only 34 now and tells me she already wakes up with her pillow and sheets wet! That's partly because of her being overweight she says, but at least when she's ready, i'll be able to direct her toward some choices that I didn't know we had 7 years ago when I needed it lol.

Talking about the "steambox" you live in, for some reason we've been exceptionally lucky this year in southern IL, we've had very few days so far of melting humidity...usually it's as bad as the south lol...I liked FL when I lived there, Dee and I lived in Altamonte Springs for 2 yrs...missed the season tho.
Marcia (Minnie Pauz's sister)
age 57/taking Bio Identicals

http://www.petwhimsey.com
toollady

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Menopause