Ok, this is getting ridiculous!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Ok, this is getting ridiculous!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:43 pm

I was just reading the headlines on Google News about menopause and got these conflicting reports. No wonder we're all confused about what to do!

Hormone Replacement Safe For Many Women
CBS News, NY - Jul 12, 2007
(CBS) New studies show that the use of hormone replacement therapy for symptoms of menopause may not be as dangerous as once thought. ...

Hormone therapy unhelpful after 65
ScienceAlert, Australia - 12 hours ago
"Our findings support the view that HRT is a safe treatment for younger women in early menopause to relieve symptoms and improve quality of life," he says. ...

More Research Confirms Danger Of HRT For Older Women
Medical News Today, UK - 8 hours ago
The project was called the Women's International Study of long Duration Oestrogen after Menopause (WISDOM) and started in 1999, with researchers drawn from ...

Here's part of the article on CBS news:
Prominent scientists now believe that a woman's age when she starts using HRT is crucial. Last month, the New England Journal of Medicine reported that there may be a heart benefit for women who begin estrogen therapy early in menopause.

The new thinking is that estrogen may protect the arteries of a woman young enough to be without heart disease; however, HRT will accelerate disease that already exists in women old enough to have developed artery damage. This discovery suggests that a woman in her early 50s can safely use the therapy if her symptoms are intense.

You can watch the video report here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/ ... 9083.shtml
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby hotpatootie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:50 am

First you say you do

And then you don't

And then you say you will

And then you won't

You're undecided now

So what are you gonna do?

Now you want to play

And then its no

And when you say you'll stay

Thats when you go

You're undecided now

Ive been sitting on a fence

And it doesn't make much sense

cause you keep me in suspense

And you know it

Then you promise to return

When you don't

I really burn

Well, I guess I'll never learn

And I show it

If you've got a heart

And if you're kind

Then dont keep us apart

Make up your mind

You're undecided now

hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:12 am

Those reports all say hrt is ok for younger women starting menopause, but not for those who are post menopause.... then from a report that colopam posted over in bio-identicals, from Prevention magazine just this past April:

Hormone therapy make increase the risk of stroke and breast cancer in younger women

by HealthDay News

(April 15, 2007) -- Women who start hormone therapy closer to the time of menopause rather than significantly later in life appear at no greater risk of having a heart attack.

In fact, those taking hormone therapy within a 10-year window of the start of menopause had a slightly reduced -- although not statistically significant -- risk of developing coronary heart disease.

But there are other risks. Hormone therapy for younger women can raise the possibility of stroke by 32 percent, a risk that did not seem to vary from studies involving postmenopausal women.

Again, the confusion level about who should take it and who shouldn't is clear as mud. No wonder women are unsure about what to do.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby hotpatootie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:47 pm

I decided right from the get go to tough it out like women have been doing throughout time. I figure why fight nature, just go with it. Our bodies are doing what they are suppose to do as we age, why fight it.

I am on blood pressure med, because of menopause, never had high BP until I started peri and I am on thyroid med, no choice there either. But this I could make a choice. That is what it all boils down to for all of us. If it gets to the point where you think you are seriously going nuts, well then try something.

The experts clearly are as confused as hell about this.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby Liette » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 pm

I'm going the natural route also my doctor doesn't believe in HRT, being a man he knows squat about what menopause is really like and in any case I'm just confused over the whole issue. When I feel really bad I just let the tears flow because that's how I feel and I was told that crying can actually be good for you because it releases stress hormones (I don't know if that's true but we have tear ducts and produce tears so it must be for a reason!!!) :?
Liette
Warm Pauzer

Postby edelweiss » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:36 am

I have just about weened myself off of bioidential HRT. Six weeks ago I made the decision to stop. I've been on one sort of HRT (synthetic and bio) for well over 10 years now. I played a sort of risky game all along - with breast cancer family history - but took it all very serious - never missed a check up or mamogram.

Well, I'll be 60 in a few weeks, and I do read all the statistics and it's just a fact that the older we get - the more likely we are to get cancer. My Mom had her 2nd mastectomy at 88 years of age.

Unfortunately, there have been a few nasty reminders of why I was on HRT for as long as I was. Hot flashes have been my alarm clock for the past month (beginning around 5 am) The foggy brain has returned - big time. Anxiety and headaches - oh good grief - here we go again. :cry:

I am re-reading Dr. Christiane Northrups book on menopause - trying to find some alternatives. I still work out - and take quite a few supplements - but, this will no doubt take awhile. The brain fog is just the pits.
edelweiss
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:02 pm

edelveiss...just tackle it like it's the most important project in your life right now...which it is!! Your health and wellbeing is going to make life better for everyone around you!

It's time to try everything that you haven't tried and that means, not only supplements, but also changing your diet, carrying a fan with you or having an icepack neck wrap available at home....any tips that will work with your lifestyle.

I'm having to do this with managing my psoriasis these days, it's getting really bad and very difficult to live with every day so I'm having to make a decision about going on the heavy duty drugs that will force it into remission but suppress my immune system. I've heard people say, yes, it may shorten my life, but at least I'll have quality of life....whew...it's tough to decide. I haven't tried all the options yet, but just like with menopause symptoms, nothing will make them go away completely, but some of it will ease the suffering.

One thing I want to try (when I can afford it) is acupuncture and I wonder if that would help with menopause?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby hotpatootie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:46 pm

Liette wrote:I'm going the natural route also my doctor doesn't believe in HRT, being a man he knows squat about what menopause is really like and in any case I'm just confused over the whole issue. When I feel really bad I just let the tears flow because that's how I feel and I was told that crying can actually be good for you because it releases stress hormones (I don't know if that's true but we have tear ducts and produce tears so it must be for a reason!!!) :?
I know I am repeating myself, but yes that is how I feel, well felt about it.

It was hell, but I made it through to the end, on my own. And all around me are still alive to tell about it.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby edelweiss » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:16 pm

One of the main reasons (probably the biggest and most important to me) is the link between alzheiemer's disease and estrogen. I talked to my doctor about this many years ago when we began to see the signs in my mom. Of course, since I was peri memopause anyway, going on HRT was the answer to a lot of different issues. I continued to use with the hope that it would prove to be beneficial for alzheimer's.

So - my fear is that I'll wake up one morning and read the headlines that Take Estrogen - Keep Your Marbles Forever......

I don't know if any of you ladies have dealt with this devastating disease - I watched my mom go from a fun loving, bright, active woman to a 'little girl' that would cry for her mother and thought in the end that she was 9 years old. Would estrogen have helped her we will never know. She was also a breast cancer survivor and no doctor in the world would have given her hormone replacement. I took the risk for a long time - but just feel I need to take a break. Oh - what I'd give for a crystal ball....
edelweiss
Combustible

Postby linda48846 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:31 am

I have come to the conclusion that Doctors don't know anymore or less about Menopause than we do. I was on Estrogen. I knew the risks, but thought it was better to have quality of life than quantity.

In Jan '07 I had a massive pulmonary embolism. Doctors figured it was due to the Estrogen. Being off the Estrogen since then, I began to have major problems again. The fatigue is the worse, causing me to nod off behind the wheel! :shock: I went to my Gyno only to be involved in a phone tag game to find out what he recommended. I was at my family physician yesterday. He had received a letter from my Gyno. Now mind you, the Gyno had not contacted me with his recommendations, but wrote to my MD and suggested an antidepressant. He obviously didn't check my file, or he would have realized I was already on an antidepressant. He was washing his hands of me. My MD said that he felt the Gyno was uneasy about recommending anything since I had a PE, and may have been CYAing himself from a potential law suit. Hello??? I paid the Gyno to blow me off? I've had it! :roll:
linda48846
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am

wow, Linda!! So glad you're still with us!! I don't blame you one bit! I've heard so many stories like yours that it almost makes me glad I don't have insurance. That may be the only reason I'm still on this earth....couldn't afford to see a doctor!

Of course, you must have had very good doctors who diagnosed your problem, so we can be thankful for that! What kind of symptoms did you have? I've been concerned about this kind of thing for awhile now.

I really feel our entire medical system is so out of whack we may never feel safe again. I have been hoping for universal health care, but I'm afraid the quality would be so substandard that we would all be at risk. I still believe there are dedicated medical people out there, like our Dr. Judy, but they are so far and few between it makes it highly unlikely that each of us would be able to find them.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby linda48846 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Dee,
I agree, there are some dedicated medical people out there. Dr. Judy is great! I don't know if I've just had bad experience, but it sure feels like the male physicians tend to just chalk it up to figments of my imagination. The Pulmonary Embolism was strange. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet; and then I began to huff and puff, got dizzy, and started to black out. I would stop and grab hold of something and then everything would subside. I am a stubborn person, and I had a Dr. appt previously scheduled for a week later. I figured it was winter so I was probably getting bronchitis or something. After the 3rd day of the same symptoms, I was laying in bed and felt unusual pain behind my left breast. I thought it felt like it could have been in my heart. I tried to relax, and decided I would call my MD in the morning. I know.....but like I said, I'm stubborn. I got in to see my MD. The nurse had a difficult time finding a pulse on me. My BP was fine. My blood Oxygen level was fine. He listened to my heart and said it was fine. He thought I was getting an upper respiratory infection. I told him it was none like I had before, and I've had a lot! He gave me a steroid shot to open airways and put me on an antibiotic. Things didn't get better so I returned in a week and saw my MD's partner in the practice. This MD took a chest x-ray and determined that I must have a mucous plug in the bronchial area of my right lung because the upper portion of my right lung showed that it wasn't getting adequate air. I was given another steroid shot, told to stay on the antibiotics, and told to begin taking Mucinex. I returned within 4 days, saw the same MD as on the previous visit. The nurse again had difficulty finding my pulse. This happened on all three visits. This time the nurse listened to me and left the blood oxygen monitor on me while we stood and walked a short distance. The blood oxygen began dropping drastically as we began to walk. She quickly brought me back to the room to sit down. The Dr. told me to stay on everything, I could go back to work, but we weren't "out of the woods yet." Within a couple days I was crying from frustration and not feeling well. I decided that if I didn't feel better by Sunday, I was going to the ER. Well my older sister came knocking on Saturday and told me that I wasn't waiting. I told the ER staff everything I had been through. They put patches on me and hooked me up to an eeg/ekg. Shortly I was being wheeled to radiology for a chest CT. An on-call cardiologist arrived and explained that I had a massive blood clot in the pulmonary artery. He explained what TPA was and that I needed it. He said that I really didn't have much of a choice because most people with a blood clot the size of mine weren't around to talk about it. I got the TPA, went to ICU, was put on Heprine, transferred to a regular room after the critical 24 hours of being on TPA. Was placed on Coumadin before leaving the hospital. I was in the hospital a total of 10 days. I endured many tests. Doctors hypothesized that the Estrogen may have caused my blood clot. I have had none since.

Moral of this Story: Listen to your body; Learn as much as you can (this website has been invaluable to me); and take action regarding your health.

Linda
linda48846
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Wow!! That's all I can say except there must be a reason why you're still with us!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause