Severe palpitations on waking

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Severe palpitations on waking

Postby akitalady » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:13 pm

Hi I live in the UK & I am going mad with palpitations.They started reall bad earlier this week and I am waking up 3/6 times in the night with racing heart,irregular beats and feeling hot and weird.
I am so afraid to sleep, I am trying to read,watch tv, anything to avoid sleep and waking with these terrible symptoms.
I take beta blockers daily and my blood pressure is reasonable but a bit lower that I would like.Also very very swollen breasts before period.So swollen in fact that one is twice the size of the other - we have measured !!
My periods are fairly regular but I have had one or two missed.
I have ended up in the ER several times with tachycardia (fast beats) & that was why they put me on beta blockers.I have a lupus type illness too so if anyone has experience of one or both of these things, I would love to hear from you, especially if something is working to stop these awful things.Also every time I eat - palps galore. Man I get fed up !!
Best wishes to all ladies who are having the same problems. :D
akitalady

Postby Zero » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:18 pm

Welcome akitalady...you might want to also post your comments and question in the "Ask the Professional" section.
Zero

Postby aj » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:09 am

Hello akitalady! I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems with "palps"! I too have had the same problems...irregular beats every day for WEEKS!! :x I had the ekg's ,echocardiograms, stress tests, holter monitors etc.....only to find I have a perfectly healthy heart. So frustrating. My cardiologist finally put me on 5mg Zebeta once a day and this has practically stopped my palps. He also said that these are VERY common in perimenopause, not to worry (yeah, right) and are caused by our wonderful hormones going haywire. I too have also been afraid of going to sleep for fear I wouldn't wake up!! Stay away from caffeine if you can. Eating sometimes brings on my funny beats, but Ialso learned that could be a stomach connection as there is some sort of nerve at the top of your stomach close to your heart that will trigger palpitatons if you eat too quickly or are too full. Because of my forgetfulness I've developed in my perimenopause, for the life of me I can't remember all the technical jargon. :roll: At any rate, try to relax and this too shall pass. As far as the swollen breasts, I've never had that problem....although I wouldn't mind having a larger cup. My brother used to tease me that I was so flat chested if I stood sideways and stuck out my tongue I'd look like a zipper! Hope you're feeling better soon.
aj
Combustible

Postby pamibe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, Akitalady! :D

[I'm guessing you've got Akitas? :wink: ]

I was one of the lucky ones and my palpitations didn't last very long; I'm so sorry it's different for you. They can really throw you off kilter.

Hope you get an answer that works soon!

Pam
pamibe

heart paps

Postby Aline00 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:03 am

i take magnesuim and calcuim and it has helped alot!!.... i was getting them real bad, but havent had any for awhile now.......Aline
Aline
Aline00

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause