Insomnia?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Insomnia?

Postby romancechick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:48 pm

I've always been a pretty light sleeper and it's always taken me 20-30 minutes after I turn off the light to finally fall asleep. I've always envied my mother, husband, daughter, son who fall asleep nearly immediately. Afternoon naps never held any appeal for me since by the time I'd fall asleep it would be time to get up!

Now, 18 months since my last bleeding episode (no ovulation for about a year before that), it still takes me that long to fall asleep but if I get up to go to the bathroom or because the Boy (5) wakes up crying or if the Girl (18) wakes me up in getting ready for school (she gets up at 5), it might take me an hour to go back to sleep.

I read that if you don't talk or turn on the light when you get up at night, it helps you fall back to sleep. Well, I am very careful when I get up to go to the bathroom, but as soon as I get back into bed, my mind becomes more active. I think about the next day, what I need to do, what I could do, story ideas (I'm a novelist). One night I even considered getting up and taking a run and I HATE to run!

Any one relate?
Nancy
http://www.nancysbrandt.com - my blog and writing website
http://weightloss.dreamhost.com - my weight loss blog

No power in the 'verse… can stop me.
romancechick

Re: Insomnia?

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:07 pm

I have the same problem and have found that if I have a glass of milk (carbs make me sleepy), it's easier to get drowsy again. The other thing that works for me (except it takes a few minutes to fix it) is SleepyTime Tea! I've heard that eating turkey will also do it. :) There's no clear answer for every woman, but it's worth a try. Good luck and good sleeping!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause