I Am Curious about all this itching????

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

I Am Curious about all this itching????

Postby gracious granny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello All,
Since I have joined this forum I have read many posts (both current and past) where the writer complains about itching. I , too, suffer from a great deal of itching and I am curious about others who may have had or currently have this problem..such as..where? Did anything help? when?
As for myself, I have a history of allergies, asthma, and eczema so I have a pretty high tolerance for itching. It takes a lot to annoy me. About 4 years ago when perimenopause reared its "confused" :tornado: head my scalp and face started to itch. Sometimes it has been pretty miserable. When I was still having periods I would have a really bad spell of it the day or 2 before the period started. I have to wash my hair every day..THIS is not an option. My Dr. has tried me on all of the prescription shampoos, nothing helps. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It will be so bad for a week or 2 that I start to think being beheaded would be better than this, my head and face feels like a giant mosquito has bitten me :( and then it will sort of calm down for awhile.
I also wear bangs and some days (like today) I cannot stand them brushing my forehead. I have to take antihistamines when its bad, which makes me loopy :bouncy: . So I would really be interested in hearing about any other itching problems anyone else may be having.
Thanks, G.G.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Re: I Am Curious about all this itching????

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:19 am

I think the skin gets drier and thinner as we age..this causes itching...
my underactive thyroid gives me that problem too, but age has made it worse.

I also wear bangs and some days (like today) I cannot stand them brushing my forehead
oh I know that feeling (I have a choppy fringe).
so irritating...almost painfully...

I have used an expensive shampoo 3 times now which calmed my scalp for a couple of days and then it rears up again...last time the calming only lasted about a day...and I am working out that it seems to be worse pre-period time...so...is that the dip in progesterone also?
I am hoping that my usage of natural progesterone cream will help with this too, as it is said to help with hair eventually.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 am

I believe Dr. Judy was using progesterone cream rubbed into her scalp to help with thinning hair...with good results. Don't know if it would help with the itching though.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:42 pm

I wondered if I had some intolerance to washing powder and soaps, so changed everything to products for sensitive skin ... no joy (apart from that they seemed more expensive so my wallet suffered!!). It seems worse in the evening ... some nights I am lying in bed having a scratch here and there while Mr. GorgeousFluffpot mutters about going out to get some flea powder to dust over me. I have started drinking more water to see if it was perhaps dehydration but can't report a difference. I wonder now if it is just that your skin is more sensitive and reacts more to anything on it - I have long hair and now, when my hair is on my bare shoulder, it is more than a tickle but more irritating, like the skin has become super-sensitive. (yes I should cut my hair but that's another story ... took me long enough to grow !).

Aaaaaggggghhh! As I am typing this I have realised that I have been scratchng my shoulders and armpits .... I'm now doing it without thinking. God help me that I should go out and forget and lose my inhibitions and end up scratching my bum in public ... !!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes ladies this itching is enough to make one want to pull ALL of their hair out :| . While my skin below the neck does seem to be much drier, above the neck it seems to have gotten oilier. The only relief I get is when my scalp and face is completely clean and dry. As soon as the natural oils start to come back out after a few hours the itching starts again. Its scalp, forehead, sides of nose...sometimes around the mouth area.
I have even wondered if it was a food allergy. I was skin tested about 3 years ago and eliminated all food that I was sensitive to. Just on my own I systematically gave up all other foods that I eat on a regular basis for weeks at a time. Took allergy injections for almost 3 years and finally when gas prices reached their present rediculous height I stopped taking them, as the Allergists office is an hour away and they weren't helping anyway. At least not in any way I could tell. But right now pollen season has started and I can feel a BIG increase in symptoms.
I've used prescription shampoos, Scalpicin with hydrocortisone, and prescription steroid cream on the areas I can rub the cream in to. ABSOLUTELY nothing has brought any long term relief. :banghead: Sometimes it makes me very GROUCHY!
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby bobbi54 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Gracious Granny - The itching I've been experiencing is all over dryness. I don;t know if this will help you but I do know that estrogen and progesterone levels in our bodies fluctuate and drop as does the collagen in our body. I know I've definitely notice the elasticity of my skin has changed tremendously. I've found that moisturizing a lot really helps me.
Bobbi -
bobbi54
Warm Pauzer

Postby gracious granny » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi bobbi54,
My skin, especially my face seem to have been spared most of the ravages of time. I get complimented on my lack of wrinkles all the time. I had really expected to have more dry skin as a part of the aging process by now, but honestly most of my dryness from the neck down comes from the fact that I am literally covered with Eczema. Anyone who has ever had it knows about the dry, scaly-ness that goes along with it. I always HAVE (not an option) used a good moisturizer after a bath. My Allergist has given me prescription creams for the ocassional localized flare-up and shots when its bad all over.
No, the itching from the neck up is made worse by moisturizers, can't even use conditioner on my scalp. I have long hair and I just put it on the ends. Its just really been wierd. Its like whatever is causing the itching is oozing out of the natural oils from the skin on my scalp and face. I think, of course I am no Dr., that I actually have the Eczema on my scalp and the oils are irritating it. I can actually see the redness of it in the creases beside my nose.
I'm going in for a check-up as soon as the school term is over and I have time, maybe this time I will get some answers. Thanks for your post.
I see you are a new member..WELCOME!!!!
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby bobbi54 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank you for the reply Gracious Granny (love the name). I hope you find relief soon!
Bobbi
bobbi54
Warm Pauzer

Postby GrandmaGreathouse » Tue May 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Is this the same as a prickly feeling? Before menopause, I was afraid that I had scabies on my face - with all the prickly sensations I was having. I haven't had it (or noticed it maybe) since.....
GrandmaGreathouse
Hot Pauzer

Postby cyn » Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 pm

The itching is one of my biggest issues! I scratch my skin to the point of bleeding at times! The uncontrollable itching is making me crazy! Please someone help!
I still remember when sweating at night was fun!
cyn

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm

GrandmaGreathouse wrote: Before menopause, I was afraid that I had scabies on my face - with all the prickly sensations I was having. .....

I keep thinking spiders or fleas are on me...
great to know this might end :(
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Hello All, After much suffering :cry: with all of this itching for 4 years I had about given up hope of finding an answer. In spite of all of my searching for information I had never read of anyone having symptoms like mine and then one day!!!! A little background info...
When I was in my mid to late 30's, close to 40, I suffered from repeated yeast infections. Every single month at the time of my period I got one. My Dr. said they were caused by falling estrogen at that time of the month. It was so bad that I developed sensitivities to all of the medications and I was on Diflucan ( one a month) for years because the Vaginal meds caused such irritation (I think it was most likely all the additives in them).
Well, finally after years on the Diflucan I decided to try going without it to see what happened and That seemed to be the end of them, haven't had one in years (knock wood).
But one day I got to thinking about all of that and about how I had YI every month like that triggered by hormones and all of this itching was so intense around my period and even now that I have been a year without periods I guess I am still cycling, and at the time I WOULD have had a period the itching is still bad. So one day I was here online and I had the thought, "Can a person have a yeast infection (overgrowth) on the scalp?" So I did a search on it and Lo and Behold!!!! I found a condition called "Pityrosporum Folliculitis" and I found a perfect description of my problem. I almost bawled :biggrin: . So now I just have to try and get into see my Dr. and try the treatment. I would encourage all of you to research this condition and see if it sounds like you. Just google it. G.G.
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:04 am

I certainly hope this is the answer for you GG! Since I have psoriasis, I can emphathize with all the itching! I cannot go a day without having this by my side:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause