Still having periods? How old are you?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Still having periods? How old are you?

Postby hotpatootie » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:49 am

Just wondering the age most of you are who are still having periods, I'm 52, been totally meno for 3 years and will go for 4,5,or 6 months and think "Oh Boy I'm on a roll now" and then Surprise, it's back. Will it ever end...one good thing when it comes back the hot flashes stop, so when that happens I know something is up, of course I stupidily think "It's over" what a let down..... :roll:
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:12 pm

I think part of the problem is the confusion about "being in menopause". The time from when you start experiencing irregular periods and sometimes, some of the other symptoms, is all considered peri menopause. Sorry to say, but that can last anywhere from 5-10 years (some say it was longer for them). So you're not "totally" meno until you haven't had a period for 12 months, right? I know it's so confusing! But, all of us have taken on the mission to make it as clear as possible to as many women as we can reach, so understanding our own "status" will help us pass along the info to other women who are confused and frustrated too.

So the beginning is called perimenopause
After one year of no periods, you are "officially" in menopause
And all the time after that year, you are post-menopause
BUT...we can be considered menopausal all during the 3 stages! Clear as mud, huh? :)
Zero

Postby hotpatootie » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:53 pm

Well that makes sense, all I knew was when I had a blood test a few years ago my Dr. told me I was definitely Menopausal, she never told me all of that. Thanks for the info. Well if I am Ever through it I'm not going to be post-anything, I'm just going to be me. :roll:
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:02 pm

Absolutely you will be you!! :) And a FINE you you will be, I'm sure! :D

Honestly, a few years ago, most of the doctor's didn't even have it figured out! That's one reason why we've all become so determined to become educated about our bodies and about this time in our lives. If you can't rely on your doctor, who can you rely on?

I forgot to mention this great article that I posted several months ago. I think it's the best one yet: http://www.minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58
Zero

Link in message is broken

Postby GJC » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:41 pm

Hi, unable to get to the page for this link?: :(
http://www.minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58

It sounded like a goodie.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks!
- GJC
GJC

Postby Zero » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:09 pm

Here's a link directly to the article. You may have to register to read it, but it's free: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... Found=true

Hope you can get it...if not, I'll see if I can get permission to post the article here on the board.
Zero

Postby GJC » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:04 am

No problem accessing the article, and well worth the read!

Many thanks,
- GJC
GJC

Postby beej » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 pm

I went nearly 11 months without a period, then bamm there is was back. I was miserable, had forgotten about the cramping and the headaches (I have migraines with my cycle). I did call my doc and she said it was nothing to worry about and maybe it was my big fianle'. Anyone else have similar experience? I've tried HRT, but now take only Evening Primrose Oil over the counter as the other medicatins interfered with my thyroid meds. This seems to work great for the flashes and everything.
beej

Postby Zero » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:53 pm

Great that its working for you beej.....it does great for some women and nothing for others. Same thing with black cohosh or soy..... lots of experimenting going on for all of us, that's for sure!

Welcome to the board!
Zero

Postby Zetti » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:16 pm

Ack. 49, will be 50 in July :shock: periods still like stinkin clockwork.

More clotting, one mo the cramps were unfrigginbelievable but other than that, same ol same ol same ol.

Bleah.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

52 years old

Postby lollypopj » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:13 pm

still have erratic periods from 24 to 37 day cycle.Leading up to a period I have what feels like terrible body pain and arthritis.Cant carry a laundry basket upstairs.Then terribly exhausted and a "mindless " feeling during first few days of heavy periods,w/dizziness etc.Big appetite sometimes(not good) :(
lollypopj

Postby cin-d-rella » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:32 am

I SURE can relate to the arthritis pain. (lollipopj) Usually about a week before I am going to get my period, (and sometimes for a few days after), the arthritis in my hands particularily, is so much worse, I am pretty much useless....washing dishes is too painful, folding laundry...

I have a LOT of unexplained aches and pains everywhere and I could sleep 24/7......like I've been drugged. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me until I read the postings on this sight. Now I KNOW there is hope........not to mention moral support. Thanks so much to everyone. Cin-d-rella (Cindy). :D
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause