My trip to the ER

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

My trip to the ER

Postby catmommy9 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:57 pm

On Wednesday, I had an episode that was so scary, I was convinced I was having a heart attack! I called 911 and went to the ER.

I'm not one who goes in for doctors and hospitals if I can avoid it. A lot of this comes from the way I saw my husband treated when he was hospitalized twice in the past three years. he felt like he had no say in his care, and they kept him incarcerated in the hospital WAY longer than needed. I mean, he was just there, they weren't doing anything but checking his vitals.

Calling 911 was a BIG mistake. I was already passing the episode by the time I was in the ambulance. It was likely another hot flash/panic attack. I wanted to go home.

They would NOT let me call my husband...at least not until someone stuck a paper in front of me to sign. I told them that I was not signing anything until they handed me a phone so I could call hubby. I had my cell with me, but I was unable to get a signal.

I think the ER staff determined that I was crazy when I did get the phone, and the first thing I said was, "I'm in XXX hospital...get me the HELL out of here!"

I don't know if it was the hormones, or just the fact that I was sick of having person after peron come in and ask me the same questions over and over again, but they decided that I needed to be sedated. They tried to get me to take something called atavan, and I refused for a while, then agreed just to shut them up. But then they said they wanted to give it to me via IV. I said, NO WAY. I was 100% coherent by this point, and perfectly capable of taking a pill. With an IV, no doubt they would have doped me up so badly, that I would have been unable to make any coherent decisions about my care and treatment.

They came back with a pill, which I pretended to take. Once no one was looking, I took it out of my mouth and hid it in my shorts pocket. I flushed it down the toilet later. The nurses kept trying to push this drug on me the whole time I was there, I kept saying NO.

It turned out that I didn't have a heart attack after all...all of the blood work and other tests said that there was nothing wrong with the old ticker. That is the good news.

But here's something that is guaranteed to piss you all off...I had a visit from a hospital *social worker*, even though I specified that I did not wish to be seen by one. This woman had come to my room twice while I was out getting CTscans/stress tests for my heart...hubby was there waiting and told me about this.

Despite the fact that I asked the nurse to contact this person and tell her not to come back, she did anyway...after hubby left the room to go and get something to eat. I swear, she must have been lying in wait for him to leave. Surely HE must be the one making me so miserable that I had this horrible panic attack. Or something else in my life. SO not true, my life is great, I've been happy. But surely, there is something wrong with me, because I was assertive about what I would or wouldn't allow to have done to me, and that I asked too many questions.

She spoke to me as if I were a child, or a mentally disabled person. I felt insulted, and I told her so. She said that since the cardiac stuff had been ruled out, it was panic attacks, and I needed to *talk to someone* about it. She, like everybody else in that place, refused to even entertain the fact that this is probably all hormones gone wild. Nope, it's all in the head, I am crazy.

Yanno, if she'd only spoken to me woman to woman (she appeared to be around my age (48)), I might have been willing to talk to her. But since she was so condescending, I kicked her out of my room.

I'm glad that my heart seems to be okay. But I still have the symptoms, and I'm looking for what to do next. I did buy some Estroven after I was released from the hospital yesterday, and started taking it, we'll see if that will help. I've not had such an attack since the one that made me call 911, but I still have the lightheadedness and sweatiness on and off.

I find myself very angry at the medical profession, over refusing to acknowledge that all of this is hormone fluctuation stuff. Either it's the ticker, or I'm certifiable and need to be put on meds or into the nuthouse.

I wish I could find someone like Dr. Judy who practices in the Boston area! Anyone know of such a doctor?

Thanks for letting me rant!

~Christine
catmommy9
Warm Pauzer

Re: My trip to the ER

Postby gracious granny » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi catmommy9, what a terible experience you had. Because of my and family members bad experiences with the medical profession I avoid Drs. like the plague. I mean I do go for check-ups but thats about it.
I am 48 also and last month I made it to my year anniversary since my last period. I know when I was in perimenopause the anxiety/ nervousness was SO bad! That has been one of the worst symptoms I have had to deal with. I have been on Estroven for the past 3 months (I started out with regular and moved to maximum strength last week) and it has made such a difference for me. I know it doesn't work for everybody, and I am certainly not against HRT if I should need it later on, but Estroven helped with all the symptoms , especially with the anxiety. Good luck, I hope it works as well for you, keep us posted. G.G.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby kazy68 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi catmommy, my very first symptom was anxiety attacks, to be honest with you i dont know how i got through it, and not knowing what it was made it worse and it wasnt untill 2 1/2 years later that i was told i was in peri my GP, like you i was sent to the ER but unlike you i was left on my own for over 4 hours then a DR came and took one look at me and said i was fine and sent me home, obviously this happend again and again but i learned to calm myself down and sit down and relax instead of pacing the floor literaly crying wondering what was wrong with me, now im glad to say they are long gone and i only have mild anxiety attacks once in a while now, i hope for your sake that you dont have this happen again, but i would definatley NOT go back to the ER.

karen
x
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Postby catmommy9 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for the support, ladies!

I had a particularly bad day today, the lightheadedness and feelings of doom and such such hung around for what seemed like FOREVER! I was actually thinking of going to the ER again, but I rode it out, and it seems to have passed now.

So far, I've not had two bad days in a row, so hopefully, tomorrow will be better! :D
catmommy9
Warm Pauzer

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:12 am

Catmommy, what an awful experience, my sympathies. I am sure we all have terrible stories to tell about horrible treatment. Mr Gorgeous had to spend one night in hospital last year for something minor. His discharge notes came to us three months later, I was going to just file them but decided to read them ... and they stated he had been admitted in March and discharged in December - a total of nine months' stay in hospital !!!!!!! I had a battle getting the notes changed - after all, they have implications for medical insurance, travel insurance plus, in the UK, the hospital charges your local authority. If I hadn't read them and applied for travel insurance then we would have been rejected or charged a frightful premium and never known why.

The social worker sounds like a busybody. However, on the other side, she may have met plenty of women who are 'under the thumb' of awful controlling partners and so I guess, to cover their backs, they have to go through all the routine procedures. But I can see why it bothered you. Best put it down to experience.

Re the nerves and panic attacks and feelings of doom. I had a phase of this last year - so out of character for me. It really bothered me, I thought I was physically ill. Unless you have experienced those feelings of doom, I doubt they can be adequately described in words. What you have to keep saying is "it IS hormonal and it WILL pass". Write that down in places, inside of the fridge door (my tip, only because in times of stress I head straight to the food !!!).

You're in the right place here. MinniePauz has kept me sane on many an occasion when I thought I was going quietly bonkers. And the support I've received from the lovely ladies on this forum has been like having my bestest bestest buddies right on tap. !

Good luck catmommy.
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby catmommy9 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks, Gorgeousfluffpot!

Well, I did end up going back to the ER...twice in one week, in fact. I just got back from the latest visit. Rather than go into it all here, I'll direct you to my thread about UTI, etc in the "Ask Dr. Judy" thread.

But let's just say that I finally be treated by someone who realized that what I've been suffering from is anxiety, probably due to hormone fluctuation. One of the nurses who treated me was a lot older than I am, and she understood...maybe she went through all of this herself.

We'll see how it goes with the anxiety treatment. I will keep you posted.

I'm just glad we're not alone here! :D

~Christine
catmommy9
Warm Pauzer

Postby Tuckersmom » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:23 pm

I can totally relate to your experience in many ways. I had never had a panic attack in my life, but my first symptom of life without hormones was a panic attack that brewed for about 5 days before I wound up taking an ambulance ride from church to the hospital on a Sunday morning. :shock:

All that previous week, I kept having chest pains, and as the days wore on they became more intense. Needless to say, my heart checked out fine, although I did spend one night at the hospital hooked up to a heart monitor.

One of the nurses told me it was my hormones, and to go to my GYN to get on HRT. My PCP sent me home from the hospital with Xanax. About a week later I saw my GYN and he prescribed FemHrt 0.5/2.5, which is a low-dose soy derivative. I really didn't want to have to take HRT, but 4 days later I wound up filling the prescription. Within 3 days I was hugely improved.

We had to pay the hospital $850.00, and have several smaller bills from the doctor, radiologist, etc. I haven't heard back yet from the ambulance company since they filed with my insurance, but I'm sure I will before too long. <Sigh>

What an expensive panic attack! :roll:
I'm a follower of The Way.
Tuckersmom

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause