Night Sweats!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Night Sweats!

Postby ozmee » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:43 pm

[color=blue][/color][size=18][/size] :roll: Am getting more and more night sweats, almost getting to every single night now. I wake up cold and shivering and hate lying in 'wet spots'. I am also hotter now than before, get to freezing at work too. Last year I wore sweaters even in the summer in Florida due to being so cold. Couldn't figure it out. Am still having periods though. A song made me cry and so did a book and I'm not a crying type of person at all. I figure ok, this is it. I thought I was having hot flashes until I really did. I was sitting right here in my nightie and it felt like someone had turned on a heater behind me. It was not a disturbing feeling due to being so cold but have seen women at work all shiney from sweat from the flashes. Anybody find anything to help with these night sweats? Do the hormones work? My dr said I had to go see him to discuss these symptoms before he'd give me any meds. :cry:
ozmee

Postby hotpatootie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:06 pm

Well if nobody can help you, we can altleast tell you you are not alone.
I wore sweaters even in the summer
Wow that was so me a few years ago, my thyroid was not working, I'm hypothyroid, it's quite common in middle age women, who am I kidding, middle age, hmmmm do I think I'm going to live to 104. Maybe this will be something your Dr. will check, it is just a simple blood test to check you TSH(thyroid stimulating hormone) level in your blood. I was having a heck of a time around 3 years ago, hypothyroidism can mimic a lot of menopause symptoms, so if you have both going on at the same time it is a Real Double Whammy. :roll: Oh for my night sweats (Drenchings) and why aren't we sweating off about 5 pounds a night.....I keep a small towel by the bed to wipe my face......Oh yeah sometimes my legs are just dripping too, oh brother :oops:

Debbie
Last edited by hotpatootie on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby ozmee » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:29 pm

I used to take Synthroid but my doctor said test indicated I didn't need it. The last time it was checked, it was only slightly elevated. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism over 10 yrs ago. Another dr said some diseases can cause it to act up then as that condition clears, so does the thyroid. Wish it were that easy. I never sweated like this when I was diagnosed, or before. I don't know I'm sweating until I wake up, my face doesn't feel wet, just my torso does.
ozmee

Postby hotpatootie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:28 am

Hi, well I'm sure the sweating is meno, but i have read that once you are on thyroid meds. you are pretty much on them for life. I'm no expert, but have done lots of reading about it because I had a terrible time getting on the correct amount of meds. I take Levoxyl and I know I will have to take it for the rest of my life. The night sweats, I mean I'll wake up and the sheets are wet and my night gown is soaked, even have to change it sometimes. At times is seem my whole body is sweating.

Debbie
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:41 am

You Ladies might want to check out the Chillow device that you can see here: http://www.minniepauz.com/problemsolvers.html It's made to fit inside your pillowcase, but it's also thin enough that you can sleep on it to keep your body cooler. Even the husbands like it! :)
Zero

Postby hotpatootie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:52 am

Sounds like a good idea Dee. :oops:
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby RibbsMom+ » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:46 pm

My entire body sweats, as well as my scalp during the night. The hot flashes during the day are not only uncomfortable, but downright embarassing. The people around me are quick to ask; "what is wrong?"
with my face! :idea:

"Did you JUST get a sunburn?" "Is that adult acne?" "Maybe you have Rosacea!" Or my all time favorite: "Your face is getting really red and sweaty; have you been DRINKING?" :shock:

I don't know yet how old you are. I am 43 and have had the day/night heatwaves for about 7 years. Still have periods, too, just irregular ones.

It's the crying episodes that you may want to mention to your doctor.
Crying over a particular book or especially a song is totally natural. It's when you cry (sometimes uncontrollably) over "nothing" several times per week/day that it may be depression related. I am wondering about this myself.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.
Bright Blessings!
RIBBON Says: Cloud winged, i soar over the canyons of your sleep, singing.
RibbsMom+

Postby hotpatootie » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:51 pm

If anybody dares to say anything to me, I just look at them and say "Menopause" :roll: really that's enough to shut them up. :shock: :roll: :oops:
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby pamibe » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:18 am

THANK GOODNESS my night sweats only lasted about 6 months! Along with the leg aches it's just impossible to sleep through menopause, isn't it? :oops:

Hotpatootie, I like your style. ;) The older I get the more I like doing stuff like that... :lol:

pam
pamibe

Postby hotpatootie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:55 am

Really I have noticed I pretty much don't care what I say.........I mean I would never hurt anyone's feelings or anything, but find it easier to express myself the older I get. :roll:
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Hot flashes, night sweats

Postby kate » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:02 pm

:oops: These last few nights have been the worst!! My poor "chillow" looks like it has been through a blender.
If you use or are thinking of using a chillow, be sure it is in a pillowcase. Mine fell out one night and where my bare arm was in contact I woke up with a blistery rash. Took over a week to clear up. Probably only happens to some people, but not worth it.
Now, my problem of the day! Now that the nights have cooled off here in Rhode Island my DH actually thinks the bedroom window will be closed! :evil: You would think he would know better by now. I guess I'll end up in another room, but it pissses me off! I like my bed!! But I literally feel like I can't breathe with the window closed.. I'm sure if I was in the " mood" I could do anything I pleased with the stupid window, but that's another subject!!
kate

Postby scottie » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:56 pm

I knew if I kept looking I would find a thread about night sweats. Here is my dilemma. I tried getting off Estradiol for about 2 months, but the night sweats and hot flashes were muy uncomfortable. So I went back on the Est. and the hot flashes and night sweats all but disappeared. (Of course, it's winter so that helps.) Anyway, although I am having very few hf's, lately I have had those blankets on/blankets off, wake up/try to go back to sleep nights. Any idea why the ns's are reoccuring?

scottie
scottie

Postby Zero » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:53 am

Scottie...you know what causes the worst problem for most of us? It's our expectations and misconceptions about the process of peri and menopause. :cry:

We all need to realize that we are starting to CHANGE....it's the change of life, right? What is not clear to most of us just starting is that it's going to KEEP ON CHANGING (for many of us, things will continue to change for the rest of our life). I don't know of anyone who had only one thing change and then everything stayed the same after that....am I making any sense???? hahahaha!

What I'm trying to say is that our bodies are constantly changing and we have to expect that even though some of our symptoms may go away, with the constant fluctuation of our hormones and basic aging factors, symptoms may return or new ones take their place. I look at it as exchanging some of the problems from our youth for possible new problems in our (ahem) maturing bodies. Well, a cartoonist has to have a different take on things, right? :lol:

Anyway, to answer your question.....your hormonal balance has probably changed again, so the nightsweats are coming back. You might want to find more ways to make your nights more comfortable and cool (check out the Chillow post), have a small fan gently blowing on you all night, try primrose oil, drink Sleepytime tea...... just a few ideas that I've personally used.

And just keep laughing!!! of course!
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause